Author Topic: Help for Elderly Parents  (Read 2314 times)


  • 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • *
  • Posts: 70
Help for Elderly Parents
« on: September 02, 2016, 10:59:50 AM »
I would like to find someone to give my 78 year old mother a break from looking after my 88 year old father. We occasionally use a service that provides something like a nursing student for $18-20 an hour. I don't mind paying that, but I know that the worker is probably only getting 1/2 of that and would prefer to pay someone directly (and also have the same person every time). I live in a large city with several nursing schools - has anyone had experience hiring someone or being hired for what I describe. Would a school have a career office or something I could go through?

No skilled nursing is required, but someone caring and well trained is what I am looking for.

Advice? Thoughts?

Sailor Sam

  • Walrus Stache
  • *******
  • Posts: 5522
  • Age: 42
  • Location: Steel Beach
  • Semper...something
Re: Help for Elderly Parents
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2016, 11:02:27 AM »
I believe the term you're looking for is respite care. Availability, cost, quality will depend on where you live. If you share that, people might be able to recommend specific services.


  • Magnum Stache
  • ******
  • Posts: 4840
Re: Help for Elderly Parents
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2016, 11:24:14 AM »
If you want to find a private person who you can hire directly, I think you are best off asking friends/acquaintances who work in medical related fields.  Like, for example, my old neighbor was an ER tech and probably would have either happily gotten paid 20$ off the books or known friends who would be interested. 

It also depends if you really need a medical person at all.  Like, would a responsible nanny-type person be sufficient?  I can imagine you could find a mom with kids in school, who could easily manage some household tidying up and watching an older person.

But you take on all the risk if the person doesn't work out, if there is no agency involved. 


  • Handlebar Stache
  • *****
  • Posts: 1472
  • Location: Here & There
Re: Help for Elderly Parents
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2016, 11:27:12 AM »
I'm interested in finding help caring for my dad too.  He lives alone & has recently become vision impaired, and can't read or drive now.  We tried a care giver service, but I'm not sure that's quite what he needs.  The women that they've sent seem more like house keepers, and I'd rather find someone a bit younger & more educated. 

I really think he'd be better off in a retirement community, but he's against that.  I think he needs the social interaction and activities, because he's hyperactive and gets bored easily.  I keep reminding him that Summer's ending and cooler weather is on the way, his days enjoying the outdoors will be coming to an end soon.  Hopefully he'll change his mind...


  • Walrus Stache
  • *******
  • Posts: 7011
  • Location: BC
Re: Help for Elderly Parents
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2016, 02:10:05 PM »
In Canada, Lots of people use the "live in caregiver" program, which allows for foreign nannies and senior care workers (often from Philippines) to come to canada as temporary workers for 2 years, then apply for permanent status (which takes another 4+ years),

The candidates are fully trained, experienced and screened for this work before coming to Canada, even when sponsored by extended family, they have to show passing classes and in-country experience first.

This means that there are a lot of qualified, experienced care workers in our cities that have exceeded the 2 year minimum, and can have an open work permit to work for anyone, yet have trouble with traditional hiring situations and would like to make more $$s.

So -- when I put an ad in the local paper, I received 30 replies, interviewed 20, and was blown away by the quality of candidates, all with references. (mine was a FT position near transit, but still...)

Look for referral agency or others, and ask around.