Author Topic: Help for a sugar addict  (Read 15992 times)

marz1982

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Help for a sugar addict
« on: November 29, 2013, 02:44:01 AM »
I really need some advice.... I am completely addicted to sugar, and I want to quit. 

I am a healthy and fairly fit person, but my Mom's side of the family struggles with diabetes type 2, and I know I have some mild blood sugar problems.  Nothing unusual on fasting glucose tests yet, just shaky if I miss a meal, which gets worse if I got high on sugar in the morning (aka cereal/pancakes).

I am gluten intolerant, so fortunately that cuts back automatically on the wheaty doughy treats (sad sigh).
I can tolerate dairy, so I splurge sometimes on overpriced milkshakes that doesn't do the price justice. :(

So the reasons I really want to cut way down on sugar :
1) Waste of money - I drink at least a can or two of coke a day, I've started eating a chocolate bar a day - specials at grocery stores, and husband spoiling me!  :/   I eat sugary cereal for lunch and a coffee or two every day with two sugars each.  It's just too much... 

2) Health problems as mentioned above.  I get dips during the mid-morning and sometimes afternoon where I fall asleep at my desk.  I think because of the sugary breakfast.  My family has a history of being overweight, high blood pressure and cholesterol as well, and I'm getting to the age where it's not so easy to shrug off weight when you pick it up. 

3) I've read all the "sugar is bad, good fats are good" books, and I'm fairly convinced that sugar is the devil, and a low carb/high quality fat diet is the way to go.

4) Just because I feel like I'm addicted to sugar, and out of principle I want to combat that feeling.  Being a slave to food is not a good way to go.  It's at a point where I'll want to eat a 2nd chocolate bar in one day, or snack even when I'm not hungry.

I have gone low-carb before, and it worked really well for me.  I just need some public face-punches to get me started I guess.

One of the problems is - when I think "Well, I'll start as soon as I've cleared out the pantry", I start binging on eating all the fudge/chocolate in the house, because hey - the faster I get rid of it, the sooner I can start right?  But let me just first finish off all that left-over rice in the fridge before I start.  Oh, and I can't start today, I still have a box of cereal.....

So what would you suggest - cold turkey/donate away the left over groceries and immediately start?  Or phase it in, by first getting rid of chocolate in house and cutting down slowly on sugar?

Any tips on resisting the chocolate sales at the grocery store (And oh dear, the festive season is upon us.  Noooo speciality bunny/santa chocolates nooooo).

What's a good substitute for snacks - fruit? (Though even fruit can be high sugar, I don't want to replace one with the other)  Muesli/nut bars are expensive unless I make my own.   I'm going to get very tired of eggs, very quickly....

Taryl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Help for a sugar addict
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2013, 03:17:06 AM »
Go cold turkey.   Sugar is like heroin.  Once you've gone through withdrawal - which will be rough - you'll have learned some self control, saved money and started getting healthier.   Finally, like any addiction, you take do it one hard day at a time.

Charlotte

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2013, 04:56:30 AM »
I have addiction and sugar issues, too (I have HUGE mood swings with the highs and lows of sugar).

I started the beginning of the year with a no candy rule. I cut it out. That was pretty simple, and obvious. I don't buy candy and there is really no nutritional value. And there is always an alternative at a party or event.

Late February I realized that cookies, etc were doing the same thing to me. So out they went. No cookies, cakes, pies, etc. It was really hard, but again I don't buy them (and my husband keeps his stash hidden from me). I do allow myself a "special event" exception, and boy did I take advantage of that for a couple of months! But now I don't even miss it. Yesterday I allowed myself the tip of my husband's piece of pumpkin pie. It was good, but also enough.

It is hard, but once you turn it into a regular thing it becomes much easier! Oh, and I buy a lot of fruit now -- if I want something sweet, I have an apple, plum, grapes.... (I figure it is healthy sugar).

Good luck!

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2013, 05:11:15 AM »
I keep no cookies, donuts, or chocolate in the house for this reason.  Fruit is an OK substitute, but if there's junk in the house, I'm not liable to head for the fruit first . . .

footenote

• Pencil Stache
  • MMMing in MN
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2013, 05:29:55 AM »
Congratulations on an articulate summary of your challenge.

From your behavioral self-description, it sounds as though cold turkey may be your best path. Throw out or donate away everything remaining in the house. No more buying sugary-anything - ever.

You did not mention vegetables. Amping up your veggies will be a key. They are more slowly digested and will keep you feeling more satisfied. What are your favorite veggies and good proteins? Focus on those as a reward (vs "losing" sugar) as you redesign your diet.

I'll end with very good news from the other side.

- Any soda (even diet soda) is dreadful for your teeth. Plus it's silly expensive. So look forward to a dental health and budget dividends!

- We cut most sugars and carbs from our diets two years ago. We were startled that eating much more healthy proteins (including a lot of beans) and veggies made us less hungry throughout the day. And DH's bad cholesterol has dropped 18% in two years. Both our blood sugars are healthy (his was verging on "pre-diabetic".) So you have astounding health benefit dividends in your near future.

Get started today and keep us updated!

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2013, 05:48:32 AM »
I used to have this problem, almost exactly what you describe!  Young, healthy, etc, but with blood sugar swings, shakiness, an unreasonable craving for all things sweet, and family history of type 2 diabetes.

What I did was use lent as an excuse to give up sugar.  I'm not a Christian or anything, and people around me knew that, but it was a good structured way to break the addiction.  The good thing I think was there was a definite end point, so if it wasn't working for me I had a way out.

What I ate as snacks to replace the sweets was fruits (yes, they are sugary, but much less so than the junk I had been eating), veggies with dips, even chips with dips.  My breakfast cereal became just plain Cheerios.

After that lent I allowed myself one sweet a week.  I have to say the first 2 weeks sucked, but after that my blood sugar leveled out and I felt 100 times better!  For the first time in my memory I could go more than 3 hours without eating something, and that benefit has continued to this day.  Since  then I've gotten a bit more into eating sweets again, but nothing like I used to.

Good luck, you'll feel so much better for breaking this addiction!

Charlotte

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2013, 06:27:44 AM »
Ooh -- dip! That just reminded me that I switched out dip for hummus with my veggies. Healthier, better for your digestive system, and yummy! I highly recommend starting small though. That's a lot of fiber....

boy_bye

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2013, 08:20:20 AM »
For me -- maybe for you too? -- it's not enough to just cut out sugar. It actually works better to just cut out all grains and low-quality carbs completely. For my body, bread and pasta are exactly the same as candy -- they just makes me want more in a really out-of-control kind of way. So I do better if I just switch over to cheese, apples, nuts, meat, berries, veggies, eggs, etc. The first 3 days are tough but after that I end up feeling so much better that it makes it really easy to stay the course. It's wonderful to feel hungry without that I'm going to die if I don't eat something right now kind of feeling.

Good luck! I find that it really is about hanging tough for 3 or 4 days  and knowing those days might suck and bring prepared for them. Have some easy snacking foods around ... Nice cheese, salty cashews, cook up some bacon, grab some nice lunch meat at the deli, make some nice coffee with heavy cream, get a jar of your favorite pickles and some apples and some yummy peanut butter. You can do it, and you'll feel sooo much better when you get over that hump!

netskyblue

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2013, 10:13:28 AM »
Drink a big glass of milk with each meal.  I'm a fan of full-fat dairy, so I'd say whole milk if you don't mind the taste.

Oatmeal (the real stuff, not instant) made with milk instead of water is pretty filling, and I like a handful of craisins in there for sweetness.  Or a very small drizzle of honey.  I think honey's sweeter than plain sugar, so a little bit makes a bigger impression.

Can you handle the carbs of potatoes?  They're pretty filling.

Butternut squash, avocados, and brie are my go-to "filling and satisfying" things.

SunshineGirl

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2013, 10:22:43 AM »
I agree with drinking lots of milk. I drink a glass first thing every morning.

Also, I was excited to learn that Uncle Ben's Converted Rice is fairly low on the glycemic index scale, so I'm eating that now instead of Basmati. I could eat rice and beans every day, and beans alone isn't nearly as satisfying to me, so I'm happy about that.

the fixer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2013, 12:01:43 PM »
Two strategies that I have used instead of cold turkey: substitution and dilution.

To eliminate candy, I had set a rule that I can eat fruit instead. I found it important to replace the craving with something. After a while you start to crave the substitution instead.

To eliminate sugary cereals, I slowly cut out the cereal by replacing it with less sugary things. I used to eat a bowl of Kashi Autumn Wheat every morning. Then I read on an early MMM post about switching to a mix of Autumn Wheat and rolled oats. At the time a bowl of oatmeal would have disgusted me, so eliminating it outright would have been tough. Over time I gradually was weaned off the Autumn Wheat and now I just eat oatmeal with cinnamon in the morning, sometimes with a splash of lemon juice.

I think getting rid of most sugary things can be done with a combination of these two methods. With soda, for instance, what if you try diluting it with water?

ShortInSeattle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2013, 12:14:31 PM »
A high protein breakfast can help you reduce blood sugar swings in the first part of the day.

When we went off sugar & white flour, we added more berries into the diet. Low glycemic and sweet enough to satisfy the sweet tooth. Do frozen if fresh is too pricey.

Annamal

• Bristles
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2013, 12:45:21 PM »
I periodically go through periods where I stay away from obviously sugary things and the two things I found that got me through are 1) herbal teas which wind up tasting very sweet after a week or so of avoiding sugar  and 2) this recipe (unless you're actively avoiding fruit)

Banana peanut butter pancakes
1 egg
1 dessertspoon of peanut butter (the kind without any sugar in it)
1 banana
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
cinnamon and vanilla essence

basically you just mash up the banana into a smooth paste, beat in the peanut butter, add in everything else and cook in small blobs over a slow heat. It tastes really sweet (and the texture is a little like banana muffins) but it also fills you up like crazy.

Christiana

• Stubble
    • Zatera Ul
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2013, 04:02:55 PM »
Some things that have helped me:

1.  Replace sugar with smaller amounts of honey.  For me, it costs more and is more "special", so I don't use nearly as much.

2.  Eat more protein and fat with each meal.  You actually get more usable energy from your food that way, and it slows the absorption of the carbohydrates that you do eat.

3.  Shift carb consumption toward later in the day--when it will help you sleep better.

4.  It only takes 10-20 g of carbs to get out of a blood sugar low.  And that is the only thing that sugar is really effective for as a self-medication.

5.  It may be that females don't do as well with very low carb diets as males do.

blackjack

• Stubble
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2013, 04:53:34 PM »
sugar is good for you(high fructose corn syup is not).. brain runs on glucose.

pirate_wench

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2013, 08:13:36 PM »
I somehow grew into an adult who does not like sugar, though I do have a beer-tooth. Every once in awhile I have something like a candy bar, coke, or other desert, and I am astounded at the level of sweetness. I hate fake sugar even more. It's so hard to find things that are just less sweet tasting, instead of crammed with chemicals or high fructose corn syrup, i.e. jam, etc...Not buying anything processed or pre-made might be half the battle.

I do think once you find a way to cut it out, after awhile you will stop enjoying the taste as much, so in the long run it will not be a hardship like it is right now.

You can do it!

Empire Business

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2013, 08:22:02 PM »
I somehow grew into an adult who does not like sugar, though I do have a beer-tooth.

Ha, I think you might be me.  Sometimes I'll even be eating a fresh nectarine or something and thinking it's too sweet for my liking. 

I've given up a lot of foods, mostly because through some turn of events I became convinced that the foods are gross in some way.  I wonder if there is some way of applying this to sugar.

meadow lark

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2013, 08:22:52 PM »
If you really believe you are an addict, I would suggest Overeaters Anonymous.  Everyone's suggestions are great if you have a mild case of "I eat too much junk food but basically I am fine."  But if it is a bigger problem than that, if you have tried repeatedly to change your eating without long term success, check out www.oa.org to look for meetings. 

Tempe

• Stubble
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2013, 08:31:40 PM »
My strategy for avoiding buying chocolate and sweets at the store is to think about the cost per ounce and if I can bake that at home. Another strategy I use if I'm trying to avoid buying sweets and I'm staring at some and tempted, I think about how much healthy food I could buy with it. 2$ in candy vs a pound of broccoli for 2$. It makes me stop and think. And as for the halloween candy I bought 75% off that I know I would be bad with, I had my boyfriend throw it in the top of the closet where I can't reach it.
I recently did a month with no sweets or chocolate, I did enjoy drinking some of the more aromatic and fruity teas for tastes. Dandelion root tea surprisingly helped with sweet cravings the most. The taste and smell just satisfied the part of me craving sweets.

El Gringo

• Bristles
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2013, 08:32:06 PM »
Fruit, fruit, fruit, fruit! Fruit has lots of sugar, but it's: 1) natural, and 2) it has lot's of fiber. Fiber is like the antidote to sugar. It counteracts sugar and lowers your blood sugar level. And it's great for sweetening things like plain yogurt or plain cereal (so many cereals are loaded with added sugar). Experiment with spices, too. Not only do they give you more taste in food, but there are huge nutritional benefits to spices. For example, I recently started trying cinnamon in my plain Greek yogurt.  For things like tea and coffee, which people often load with sugar, I also suggest trying to find spices. If all else, try honey, which is still loaded with sugar, but at least has some nutritional value, and you'll probably use less of it.

Freeme

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2013, 08:55:03 PM »
Try reading the blood sugar solution by Dr. Mark Hyman the book will give you a lot of information on this subject that can help you with this.

ASquared

• Bristles
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2013, 10:07:38 PM »
Start eating real food.  If you don't understand this look into "whole food" (the concept, not the store!).  Learn to cook from scratch at home, using ingredients, not packages of "food".  Better for your wallet and your waistline:)

Make sure you cut out the artificial sweeteners.  They cause you to continue craving sugar, even though they are "sugar free".  Remove the physiologic temptation and make it easier on yourself:)

Nudelkopf

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2013, 01:32:50 AM »
... I'm a sugar addict. I'm eating Nutella out of the jar as I read this :(

vern

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2013, 01:39:10 AM »
If you eat more paleo, you won't have the sugar crashes.

Zsmom is correct too, skip the artificial sweeteners.  There's a reason so many fat people drink diet soda!

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/the-definitive-guide-to-sugar/

Roses

• Stubble
« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2013, 01:56:40 AM »
I had a similar issue with sugar and wheat (bread, pasta, pizza, etc).  I found the easiest way to deal with it was go to cold turkey and keep it very simple.  I went through my kitchen and pantry and removed all the offending foods, giving away or tossing as appropriate.  I told myself I could eat anything I wanted and as much as I wanted as long as it didn't have any wheat or sugar in it and as long as it was natural (no processed crap, so no artificial sweeteners).  Also no juice.  I found myself naturally eating more fat, protein and vegetables.  I did get sweet cravings which I satisfied by eating a spoonful of honey.  Since I allowed myself to eat anything I wanted other than those things I never felt deprived.  And honey is so sweet that I never needed much of it.  I slowly started having less cravings for sweets and wheat.  I really think it's a vicious cycle that benefits from a clean break.  Anyway, in doing this I've been loosing weight like crazy without increasing my activity level.  And I feel better in many other ways too.  It even seems like my vision has improved, though I could be imagining that.  Good luck!

vern

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2013, 03:03:29 AM »

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2013, 07:29:25 AM »
... I'm a sugar addict. I'm eating Nutella out of the jar as I read this :(

I just don't buy Nutella. It's too good.

Winter's Tale

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2013, 07:31:33 AM »
You could also focus on having experiences as treats rather than sugary snacks.  A walk, sitting quietly reading a book, listening to some great music, taking a bath, drinking some delicious tea or coffee, having sex.  I find that I tend to overeat when I'm feeling rushed and frantic.  Somehow my mind thinks food = comfort, when what I am really craving is not food but relaxation.

blackjack

• Stubble
« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2013, 07:40:10 AM »
I'm  not sure why sugar got such a bad rep. I guess it's the same as fat being bad a few decades ago... Paleo diet as too many flaws, I don't recommend the paleo diet at all. Just eat a natural diet of fruit, veggies, meat, dairy, grains..... you'll be good to go... A big chunk of my calories come from fruit and fruit juice
« Last Edit: November 30, 2013, 08:46:24 AM by blackjack »

El Gringo

• Bristles
« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2013, 09:37:58 PM »
I also suggest using an app like MyFitnessPal to track what you're eating. Doing that is what opened my eyes to how much sugar is in the American diet. I was going over my recommended daily amount of sugar just from my breakfast, which included what I thought was healthy cereal and vanilla flavored soy or almond milk.  Once I realized how much sugar I was consuming in what I thought was a relatively healthy diet, I cut way back. If you keep track of exactly how much sugar you're putting in your body compared to the recommended amount, you'll find it deeply concerning (and motivating!). Doing so also gives you a quantifiable goal. You have a limit, and once you reach that daily limit you can say to yourself: "Sorry self! I don't have any more allowances for sugar today!"

Tami1982

• Handlebar Stache
    • Disabled Girl on Fire
« Reply #30 on: December 02, 2013, 06:00:15 PM »
I am also a sugar addict.  Studies have shown it is as addictive as cocaine.  I gave it up for nine months this year, was in a car accident and started eating it again.  What a difference it has made in my life.  Makes me miserable!  Trying to wean off of it gain.  Offering you support!

dailycycle

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #31 on: December 02, 2013, 06:10:08 PM »
Consider that the caffeine may be causing mood/energy swings as well.  If you decide not to go cold turkey, cutting out the sugary drinks should be the easiest step to take.  Substitute tea with unsweetened soy/almond/coconut milk.

Daleth

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #32 on: December 02, 2013, 06:16:38 PM »
High five for making the decision to do this. You'll be so glad you did when the relatives in your generation start getting diabetes, etc., and you don't. Phasing sugar out might work just fine for some people, but you just said it doesn't work for you:

One of the problems is - when I think "Well, I'll start as soon as I've cleared out the pantry", I start binging on eating all the fudge/chocolate in the house, because hey - the faster I get rid of it, the sooner I can start right?  But let me just first finish off all that left-over rice in the fridge before I start.  Oh, and I can't start today, I still have a box of cereal.....

So yes, cold turkey. If your motivation wavers, imagine if an alcoholic said, "I'll stop drinking as soon as I've finished drinking all the liquor I already have"! Would that sound like a workable plan?! Haha, no way!

What's a good substitute for snacks - fruit? (Though even fruit can be high sugar, I don't want to replace one with the other)  Muesli/nut bars are expensive unless I make my own.   I'm going to get very tired of eggs, very quickly....

- Fruit; sliced apples with peanut butter are a tasty snack. Of course I mean NO SUGAR peanut butter--just get the real stuff, ground-up peanuts with some salt and nothing else added. Sliced apples are also good with a bunch of different kinds of cheese--depending on the type of apple, I tend to prefer Swiss. Perhaps you are sensing a theme here: yes, it's fruit AND a protein-fat combo. That will make you feel much fuller and keep your blood sugar on a more even keel.

- Veggies (carrots, peppers, whatever you like). Again, some of them are good with a protein-fat combo: carrots go well with peanut butter, for instance.

- Nuts. Salted, unsalted, roasted, not roasted, mixed, not mixed... they're great for you and they fill you up pretty well.

- Nuts mixed with something, a la raisins. Beware of dried cranberries--they almost always have a bunch of added sugar.

- Eggs, like you said.

- Avocados, if you like them. I absolutely love them. Sometimes I bring one to work, cut it open and just eat it with a dash of salt. I eat it with a spoon right out of the skin after cutting it in half. The trick to getting the pit out is a sharp knife: press the point of the knife against the pit, slam the avocado half against the counter so the knife goes into the pit, and then you can pretty easily pull the avocado half off the pit.

- Jerky-type meat. Also, if you have a fridge at work, you can bring other kinds of meat--canned sardines or salmon, microwavable hot dogs, etc.

jflo

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #33 on: December 02, 2013, 07:16:21 PM »
Quit cold turkey August 2012. It took me two full months to stop obsessing over the stuff.
Just like anything else, set yourself up to succeed, not fail:
1. Acknowledge that it's really hard to quit.
2. Tell supportive friends who will help (not the folks who will try to talk you out of it or feel unsecure about their own food choices)
3. Always have other filling food around (beans, avos, and nuts have been my lifesavers).
4. Keep educating yourself on the side effects of sugar and insulin reaction
 to stay motivated.

The good side effects will soon start to pay off ...

melalvai

• Pencil Stache
    • Bicycling and Walking Around
« Reply #34 on: December 02, 2013, 07:50:46 PM »
I'm an expert on quitting sugar. I've done it many, many, many times! :D

Sadly, I haven't managed to stay quit. And I think I did something bad in the process. I think I triggered a neurological feedback loop that has turned sugar into an obsession. I read about that somewhere, and that described exactly what had happened to me. I don't remember the details, but basically, if you quit the first time and stay quit great. But if you quit over and over, you trigger this obsession thing, and now you've just made it tremendously harder ever to quit again in the future.

Since we can learn from failures as well as successes, I'll share some of my failures:
-Allowing myself a treat once a week. This worked surprisingly well for a long time, but ultimately turned into a one-day sugar binge.
-Counting days since my last treat. I never did make it the target 21 days, and each succeeding attempt failed sooner than the last one.
-Publicly announcing my intention to go sugar-free so that I'll feel ashamed to indulge. This approach actually came closer to succeeding than any other. I notice a reluctance to drink a coke when I'm with someone. My problem is that I'm alone too much!
-I did really well for quite a while when I kept a bag of Dove dark chocolates. I ate exactly 2 a day. Dark chocolate gives me a headache in any greater quantities.

I've also tried to be careful not to just substitute something for the sugar. I don't like artificial sweeteners, and I'd read the research that they're just as bad as sugar/ corn syrup. I do like fruit, and from what I've read, fruit sugars are bound up in soluble & insoluble fibers which act as a time-release capsule in the gut, so that you don't get the insulin surge which is the real villain with sugar (and artificial sweeteners). But fruit juice doesn't have the fibers, so go easy on fruit juice.

I agree with what others have said about honey, also I use apple juice concentrate for the same reason: I'm just not going to use these in the same quantities as I would use sugar.

When I have been relatively successful with quitting sugar, I feel so much better. Mood swings & gastrointestinal issues (both related to monthly changes) subside and even disappear entirely, as do other related symptoms.

There are pretty strong cravings initially. I deal with the first week by never letting myself be hungry at all. I figure it's not about weight loss (since I bicycle I'm trim...could be trimmer...) so it's ok if I gain a little.

Sugary stuff tastes different when you haven't had it for a while. That helps, because it ends up being a disappointment when you do have some.

To deal with not buying it: don't go shopping hungry. Take a list and only get what's on the list. Don't walk down the aisles that have that sort of thing in it. Try not to look at it and try not to see it.

Wish I had all sorts of successes to tell you, but at least you don't have to repeat all my failures! :)

Roses

• Stubble
« Reply #35 on: December 02, 2013, 08:43:41 PM »
Perhaps you are sensing a theme here: yes, it's fruit AND a protein-fat combo. That will make you feel much fuller and keep your blood sugar on a more even keel.

+1 to this.  One of my favorite 'desserts' now is a banana cut in half lengthwise topped with cashew butter (or pb but I love cashew butter) and a drizzle of either honey or maple butter on top (maple butter is just maple syrup that's been whipped up, nothing added).  It's sweet, filling and has protein.  Another fave is dark chocolate powder (unsweetened) mixed with peanut butter.  It gets pasty so I sometimes roll it into balls to make 'truffles' or I just eat it with a spoon :)

ShortInSeattle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #36 on: December 02, 2013, 08:56:45 PM »
One more tip - when you do eat carbs, pair it with protein. I find this keeps sugar cravings at bay.  Try not to eat carbs solo.

Good luck on kicking the white stuff!

BoulderTC

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #37 on: December 02, 2013, 09:53:47 PM »
I can relate on the sugar addiction! Good on you for giving it up. I find that whether I'm on or off of sugar, my mood/energy/motivation/etc are best when I'm on a very consistent and regular workout schedule. Working out somehow curbs my cravings and gives me more energy. There must be a scientific journal article about it, but I just trust the anecdotal evidence I have from my own experience! Might be worth giving a shot to get into a new workout regimen as well.

Ishmael

• Stubble
« Reply #38 on: December 03, 2013, 06:08:54 AM »
I have trouble with sugar as well - I ebb and flow. I've had the most success when I have really high quality dark chocolate to have a square of when needed. I buy it as dark as I can and still enjoy it. Yes, it still has sugar in it but it's also loaded with antioxidants so I figure a few squares a day is a decent balance.

We only buy the rawest grain products we can - whole grain breads, pastas, etc. After a while, you really start to prefer them to the white alternatives. We can't seem to enjoy brown rice, although we use basmati and it's supposed to be better than regular.

I've read that cinnamon is supposed to help your body moderate your blood sugar levels.

I think your approach should depend on the type of person you are. Quitting cold turkey is probably the best approach, but you've got to have confidence in your ability to do it.

My naturopath (certified ND, not a quack) recommended the South Beach diet. It's high in good protein and vegetables.

Also, try putting off eating sugar to as late in the day as possible. The earlier you start the sugar/insulin high/low, the worse it is through the day.

If you do eat sweets, try not to eat them between meals. Have a small dessert at the end of a healthy meal, and that will moderate the sugar/insulin spikes.

Nuts are great for staving off cravings.

SunshineGirl

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #39 on: December 03, 2013, 08:28:53 AM »
Marz, why don't you journal about it here, day by day as you change your behavior? It seems your post has generated lots of interest and support, so maybe we can support you on your quest!

melalvai

• Pencil Stache
    • Bicycling and Walking Around
« Reply #40 on: December 04, 2013, 04:59:50 PM »
Marz, why don't you journal about it here, day by day as you change your behavior? It seems your post has generated lots of interest and support, so maybe we can support you on your quest!
+1
I'd sure be interested in learning more about what works and what doesn't work.

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #41 on: December 04, 2013, 05:17:01 PM »
Marz, you've inspired me!  I'm on my second day without sweets.  It's hard. 

I hope you're having less cravings!