Author Topic: Help finding a new phone?  (Read 2729 times)

engineerjourney

• Bristles
Help finding a new phone?
« on: January 22, 2017, 04:34:39 PM »
DH and I have had cheap BLU phones on airvoice plans for about three years now. They served us well enough but now one is very cracked and both turn off randomly or stop connecting.  So we need new phones. Air voice is GSM(uses AT&T network).

What we want in new phones
-a good camera (this is important with kids now)
-big enough memory to store those pictures
-ability to handle group texts as group texts.. one thing that really annoys me from the BLU phone is that group texts come in as individual texts from different people with no way to follow the convo. From my research the phone controls this?
-normal phone things like calls, texts, some data useage

Don't care about Apple vs android vs google vs whatever. Don't want to spend a ton and don't care about having the latest and greatest. Figured this forum would give me realistic ones to look into and not what version the newest iPhone is.

pbnj

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Help finding a new phone?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2017, 05:23:52 PM »
Check out Motorola's website.  I bought a Moto G3 a few months ago for $150.  They don't sell the G3 anymore but the G4. Starts at $199 I think and has nice fancy features.  Nice camera, can add storage with SD card and handles group texts.  You can also get them cheaper at best buy or Amazon  but they add bloatware and ads.  Direct from Motorola is of course unlocked and you just pop in your Airvoice sim card.  I've had mine for about 4 months now and have been very happy with it.  Will keep it until it croaks.

missundecided

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2017, 05:34:12 PM »
Can you use a third party app to handle the group messages? I use textra.

engineerjourney

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2017, 06:57:17 AM »
Check out Motorola's website.  I bought a Moto G3 a few months ago for $150.  They don't sell the G3 anymore but the G4. Starts at $199 I think and has nice fancy features.  Nice camera, can add storage with SD card and handles group texts.  You can also get them cheaper at best buy or Amazon  but they add bloatware and ads.  Direct from Motorola is of course unlocked and you just pop in your Airvoice sim card.  I've had mine for about 4 months now and have been very happy with it.  Will keep it until it croaks.

Thanks for the lead on Moto phones! I think my mom got one recently too, thanks pdnj!

Can you use a third party app to handle the group messages? I use textra.
How do the apps work with text messages?  Do they route the message through an app using your same number or is it a texting number and you use data?  We rarely use data and are on the airvoice $10/month plan (and don't use all $10 each month) so I usually have my data turned off unless I need to check something when I am not home. 

acroy

• Handlebar Stache
    • SWAMI
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2017, 07:01:45 AM »
+1 for the Moto phones.
I have an original Moto G, it's a solid kickass phone.
the MotoG version 3 is the sweet spot, $145 on Amazon. Waterproof! super tough get'r done phones.

engineerjourney

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2017, 08:02:21 AM »
+1 for the Moto phones.
I have an original Moto G, it's a solid kickass phone.
the MotoG version 3 is the sweet spot, $145 on Amazon. Waterproof! super tough get'r done phones.

Thanks for another vote for Moto!  Sounds like what we were looking for!

Anagnorisis

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2017, 03:04:21 PM »
I bought the amazon Moto G4 with the bloatware adds recently.  I disabled them after googling for a tutorial.  had to download the android development kit and I believe the java development kit as well, but it totally worked.  No more ads and saved $50.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!