Author Topic: Help deciding about car :-(  (Read 13587 times)

chunkmunk001

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Help deciding about car :-(
« on: October 22, 2014, 10:02:10 AM »
Hi everyone,
This is my first post although I've been a "lurker" for a while.  I love the ideas shared here so I KNOW you guys will be helpful.  Here's my situation:
- currently drive a 2004 Infiniti G35x (awd) with 164k miles
- car's paid off
- drive 86 miles today everyday for work :-(
- live in a climate where winters have been pretty bad (NJ).  Especially the last few winters.
- have a 5-year-old and planning to have another child next year
- husband drives a Chevy Tahoe with 3rd row seating.  Have approximately $8,000 left to pay that off.
- not comfortable driving  husband's huge truck around.
- will be the one driving around with the children most of the time

I want to sell my car to a private owner and use the cash to buy another vehicle.  The reason being is that:
1. parts are expensive
2. doesn't use regular gas so gas is expensive (plus I have a long daily commute).
3. want to sell it while it's still worth a decent amount of money since that's pretty much the only money I have to buy another vehicle.

What vehicle would you recommend that would fit my needs?  AWD/4wd is a must Getting a job closer to home is not an option at this time nor is moving (we currently pay mortgage on our house).

CabinetGuy

• Stubble
Re: Help deciding about car :-(
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2014, 10:17:53 AM »
Used honda crv.  Awd, and it's a honda.

chunkmunk001

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2014, 10:19:07 AM »
I've been trying to look for vehicles under 100k miles so I can get more drive out of it.  Should I not be doing that?  I was also thinking of maybe: toyotas, hondas and subarus...

retired?

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2014, 10:22:25 AM »
I never saw more Subarus than when I was in Oregon last summer.  Those people really use their cars.  Says something.  That said, I'd go with the CRV.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2014, 10:43:54 AM »
quick question:  Why do you say that AWD/4WD is a requirement?  I know there's a belief that AWD is 'necessary'  for snowy climates, but I'd say this is dead wrong.  Lived in Maine for 3 years, and now I live in Quebec.  If you are concerned about driving in the winter, having good snow tires will be far more useful, safer, and ultimately cost far less money, than having AWD/4WD with year-round tires.
Many (if not most) of the cars driven here in the winter are simple front-wheel 2WD.
AWD/4WD is useful/necessary if your daily drive requires you to go on unpaved roads, particularly if they have sharp inclines/declines.

chunkmunk001

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2014, 10:57:55 AM »
I've always felt like I've had the most stability/ security when driving in inclement weather (heavy rain, sleet etc.) with an AWD vehicle.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2014, 11:02:53 AM »
quick question:  Why do you say that AWD/4WD is a requirement?  I know there's a belief that AWD is 'necessary'  for snowy climates, but I'd say this is dead wrong.  Lived in Maine for 3 years, and now I live in Quebec.  If you are concerned about driving in the winter, having good snow tires will be far more useful, safer, and ultimately cost far less money, than having AWD/4WD with year-round tires.
Many (if not most) of the cars driven here in the winter are simple front-wheel 2WD.
AWD/4WD is useful/necessary if your daily drive requires you to go on unpaved roads, particularly if they have sharp inclines/declines.

This is true. Proper snow tires (instead of all-seasons) will help your traction in the snow way more than AWD/4WD.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2014, 11:14:48 AM »
I've always felt like I've had the most stability/ security when driving in inclement weather (heavy rain, sleet etc.) with an AWD vehicle.
then I would recommend winter snow tires.  The logic goes like this.  Tires are made from various rubber compounds. As it gets colder, the rubber gets harder.  That's bad for tractionfor all vehicles.  Winter tires work because they 1) have a wider tread (good for slush/wet/snowy conditions) and 2) they are made from a softer rubber.  The tradeoff is that you need two sets of tires - one for summer and one for the ~4 months of winter in NJ.  But even that's not much of an issue since both sets will last longer.

A FWD car with proper winter tires will handle better and have better traction in cold/inclimate weather than the same model car with AWD and performance/all-season tires.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2014, 11:35:16 AM »
TireRack even did some demonstrations of all-season versus snow tires
http://www.tirerack.com/videos/index.jsp?video=23

chunkmunk001

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2014, 11:56:46 AM »
So you are recommending a FWD car and buying 2 different sets of tires (1 set all season and the other set winter tires)?  In that case what vehicles would you recommend me look at using my other needs above (long commute to work, needing space for children, under $5000 etc.)?

chunkmunk001

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2014, 12:00:31 PM »
I know that snow tires are better than all season tires, that is not in question.  Thanks for your input regarding this because now that also possibly opens up my options to great FWD vehicles.  The question is what vehicles would you recommend given the other factors?

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2014, 12:10:18 PM »
Honda Fit maybe?
http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?listingId=376001798
http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?listingId=384858716

Other options could be a Mazda 3, Toyota Matrix/Pontiac Vibe, Nissan Versa, or Subaru Impreza.

begood

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2014, 12:15:09 PM »
If I were driving that much (86-mile commute), I'd want something a little heftier. The Hondas: Accord, Civic, CR-V and the Toyotas: Camry, Corolla, Rav 4 are all known for their reliability. They don't get the gas mileage of the smaller cars: Fit, Matrix, Versa but they're work horses and have good safety ratings. It's also easy to get a booster and an infant carseat in the back of the bigger cars/small SUVs. The CR-V, in particular, has great backseat room.

(Yes, I own a CR-V. No, I don't work for Honda)

chunkmunk001

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2014, 12:24:28 PM »
Yeah, I was thinking either something in the Honda family or a Subaru (leaning more towards a Honda).  The smaller cars like the Fit etc. won't work for our needs.  Definitely don't need a huge SUV either. 

daverobev

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2014, 12:31:50 PM »
Fits are huge, so evéyone says.

Winter tires are good. AWD helps you start moving, not stop.

Civics are nearly as good on gas as Fits. Get a manual trans for lower maintenance costs.

Pontiac Vibes are also good.

Also, read every other thread entitled 'which car should I get'... ;)

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2014, 12:36:27 PM »
The smaller cars like the Fit etc. won't work for our needs.

2007 Honda Fit rear legroom: 33.7 inches
2004 Infiniti G35x rear legroom: 33.6 inches

I think the Fit is a lot roomier than you imagine.

chunkmunk001

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2014, 12:44:09 PM »
Wow (at dimensions for the Honda Fit)

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2014, 04:17:16 PM »
RWD beat me to the car suggestions. 
Seriously, I've a friend who a Fit in Maine and two children under 4.  She loves it.  Tons of room in the back for child seats or full-grown adults. 
Another ever-popular vehicle in snowy New England is the Subaru Impreza, but it's MPGs are less impressive.  Ditto with the CR-V; great car but just ok with fuel.
Vibe, Yaris, Civic all get great mgp and can be found for <$7k.

chunkmunk001

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2014, 04:26:24 PM »
Thank you all so much.  I'll post an update after I find something. 

One Day

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2014, 02:33:57 AM »
We had two Yarises (Yarii?) and really liked them, including during winter, in CT...But not during wind. Anything more than a breeze tossed those efficient little vehicles like crazy. (We have a used Prius now and are much happier.)

Edit: Had misspelled Prius. Pardon my baby - induced sleep deprivation.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2014, 05:10:49 PM by One Day »

jzb11

• Stubble
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2014, 04:39:11 AM »
If you want an AWD sedan...

Why sell? Your car is worth what 7 or 8k? It's a mid size sedan, comfortable, and AWD. I don't suspect you'll gain much by selling other than lower gas mileage..

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2014, 06:50:28 AM »
Why sell? Your car is worth what 7 or 8k? It's a mid size sedan, comfortable, and AWD. I don't suspect you'll gain much by selling other than lower gas mileage..

I believe increased mpg is the compelling reason.  the G35x  has an mpg rating of 20 (combined driving).  OP has a daily commute of 86 miles (or 21k miles, yikes!).  That puts the estimated annual fuel consumption at 1,075 gallons.  Assuming an annual average of $3.25 OP is spending about $3500/year just for fuel just for her commute.  The simple act of switching to a car with 35+mpg would save about  $1,500/year ($3500 - $1996). 
Not to mention any additional saving from non-commuter driving, and that selling a luxury infiniti for ~$7k would completely fund the purchase of a car with 30,000-50,000 fewer miles on it, thus giving her an extra 1-2 years before she had to buy another car, which will ultimately save her another couple $k.  And oh yeah, being a tiny bit kinder to the environment.

My bank-of-the-envelop has this switch saving the OP $6-$7k in just three years. 

AccidentalMiser

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2014, 07:09:14 AM »
Yeah, I was thinking either something in the Honda family or a Subaru (leaning more towards a Honda).  The smaller cars like the Fit etc. won't work for our needs.  Definitely don't need a huge SUV either.

I've had 3 Hondas and 7 Subarus over the years.  In your situation, you won't go wrong with either.  I am partial to the Forester (NEVER got stuck in Wisconsin winters for 7 years), but a comparable Honda is also a great choice.

Forcus

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2014, 08:36:01 AM »
I think everyone covered your car. Snow tires and FWD, etc.

The only thing I'll add is that assuming your commute isn't able to be reduced, you should be looking at something that maximizes your MPG. This means you may be looking at something newer and more expensive but gets better MPG than older stuff, such that it pays for itself in reduced fuel costs. Because of CAFE standards MPG is going up, yesterdays "good MPG" was 30+, and today's is 40+, with no real reduction in comfort, safety, etc.

I've noticed that Chevy Cruze Eco's are getting cheap, 10-11k, and get 42+ MPG highway. I've seen reports of 48+, especially with a "tune". 3 seasons of the year use the rock hard Eco tires, and the fourth season use snow tires and steel rims.

What about the husband's car? Seems like there's a lot of money tied up in that one.

I've attached a spreadsheet I use to make car decisions. It's pretty crude and simple but it looks at all-in costs to determine what the best choice is. Surprisingly it shows that sometimes the "cheapest" choice is not the best choice. I'd plug in all the cars you are looking at and see how it stacks up. Everyone fixates on price, but MPG, maintenance, insurance, depreciation are all important values.

chunkmunk001

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2014, 11:16:12 AM »

I believe increased mpg is the compelling reason.  the G35x  has an mpg rating of 20 (combined driving).  OP has a daily commute of 86 miles (or 21k miles, yikes!).  That puts the estimated annual fuel consumption at 1,075 gallons.  Assuming an annual average of $3.25 OP is spending about $3500/year just for fuel just for her commute.  The simple act of switching to a car with 35+mpg would save about  $1,500/year ($3500 - $1996). 
Not to mention any additional saving from non-commuter driving, and that selling a luxury infiniti for ~$7k would completely fund the purchase of a car with 30,000-50,000 fewer miles on it, thus giving her an extra 1-2 years before she had to buy another car, which will ultimately save her another couple $k.  And oh yeah, being a tiny bit kinder to the environment.

My bank-of-the-envelop has this switch saving the OP $6-$7k in just three years.

Exactly.  Plus the maintenance cost of the infiniti is high when even 1 sensor needs to be replaced.  I want to sell it while I can get a decent amount of money for it since that's all the money I have to buy the other car.  Plus little things are start to go wrong on the car so I often have to fix things here and there.  Starting to add up. 

One Day

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2014, 05:18:39 PM »
We did a lot of research before getting a 2007 Prius with almost 100k miles on it. Gas mileage is terrific and the car was apparently over - engineered to last a very long time.

If you live in a strict emissions state, the battery warranty goes to 150k miles. And if you check for 100k maintenance/ replacements, you should be very well off.

A used Prius is not cheap, but if you drive a lot, it may be worth the slightly higher upfront cost.

chunkmunk001

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2014, 07:05:52 AM »
I think everyone covered your car. Snow tires and FWD, etc.

The only thing I'll add is that assuming your commute isn't able to be reduced, you should be looking at something that maximizes your MPG. This means you may be looking at something newer and more expensive but gets better MPG than older stuff, such that it pays for itself in reduced fuel costs. Because of CAFE standards MPG is going up, yesterdays "good MPG" was 30+, and today's is 40+, with no real reduction in comfort, safety, etc.

I've noticed that Chevy Cruze Eco's are getting cheap, 10-11k, and get 42+ MPG highway. I've seen reports of 48+, especially with a "tune". 3 seasons of the year use the rock hard Eco tires, and the fourth season use snow tires and steel rims.

What about the husband's car? Seems like there's a lot of money tied up in that one.

I've attached a spreadsheet I use to make car decisions. It's pretty crude and simple but it looks at all-in costs to determine what the best choice is. Surprisingly it shows that sometimes the "cheapest" choice is not the best choice. I'd plug in all the cars you are looking at and see how it stacks up. Everyone fixates on price, but MPG, maintenance, insurance, depreciation are all important values.

Thanks for the spreadsheet and your input.  My husband is very tall (6' 5") that's one of the main reason he drives what he drives, plus it's his dream vehicle (he's only 1/2 way a Mustachian lol).  Getting rid of that vehicle is definitely not an option.  In response to your other comment, we can't look into me getting anything that requires a monthly payment as we just do not have the money right now nor do we want to finance anything else. 

chunkmunk001

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2014, 07:07:07 AM »

Need leg room in both the front and back as well as large trunk space. 

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2014, 09:05:40 AM »

Need leg room in both the front and back as well as large trunk space.

Leg room in front is 1.7 inches less in the Fit compare to the G35. Trunk space is more, even with the seats in place: 21.3 cu ft (Fit) versus 14.8 cu ft (G35). You get 41.9 cu ft of cargo space in the Fit with the back seats folded down. 2009+ Fits have even more space, but will easily exceed your budget. I have a coworker who is similar height to your husband and fits just fine in a vehicle with 0.3 inches more front leg room than the Fit. You'd probably have to try sitting in one in person to see if it would work for you.

hodedofome

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2014, 09:30:16 AM »
I'll put in a plug for a Toyota Camry 4-cylinder. Having worked in the car industry in the past I can tell you this: there are cars that are the flagship for a manufacturer and then there's everything else. Toyota Camry, Honda Accord, Nissan Maxima, Ford F-150 - these are flagship cars that make the most money for the manufacturer. Therefore the manufacturer tries very hard at putting all their best engineering into those cars. They are more reliable, last longer, have better resale value. All Japanese cars are good to a degree, but there's a world of difference between a Camry and a Yaris or Corolla. Especially after 100k miles or when you go to sell it.

The Camry typically ranks at the very top for resale value, and the 4-cylinder is pretty decent on gas mileage (25 city/35 highway). It is a true mid-size car and we can do both our boys in carseats in the back + dog easily. Trunk is exceptionally large. Will fit a stroller + luggage. My wife and I ended up buying a SUV for her and the boys but we had originally planned for her to drive the Camry. I ended up giving away my 2000 Honda Accord and now I drive the '03 Camry.

It is stone-dead reliable. It just runs. I've never done anything beyond regular maintenance. A family friend saw my car the other day and mentioned he had one exactly like mine and drove it for 285k miles. He never did anything beyond regular maintenance and only got rid of it because it didn't have dual airbags. Otherwise he would have driven it forever.

The drawback is it's just about the most boring car to drive this side of the Mason Dixon line. There is nothing exceptional about it. It'll put you to sleep. I drove a Mustang 5.0 in high school and college, however I only miss having a cool car on days that end in Y.

However, IMO the combo of size, gas mileage, reliability AND resale value can't be beat with the Camry. Check it out before you make a final decision.

RetireAbroadAt35

• Bristles
« Reply #30 on: October 24, 2014, 10:52:02 AM »
So you are recommending a FWD car and buying 2 different sets of tires (1 set all season and the other set winter tires)?  In that case what vehicles would you recommend me look at using my other needs above (long commute to work, needing space for children, under $5000 etc.)?

I just wanted to point out how amazing it is that you're open to this.  Most people cling desperately to the notion that AWD is better, despite the clear evidence to the contrary.  Good for you!

Your vehicle will weigh less (stop faster and hold corners better), have fewer complex components to the drivetrain (lower maintenance), and get better traction (if you use winter tires).

The only advantage to AWD is getting unstuck from an icy parking spot.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #31 on: October 24, 2014, 03:21:33 PM »

I just wanted to point out how amazing it is that you're open to this.  Most people cling desperately to the notion that AWD is better, despite the clear evidence to the contrary.  Good for you!

Your vehicle will weigh less (stop faster and hold corners better), have fewer complex components to the drivetrain (lower maintenance), and get better traction (if you use winter tires).

And climbing hills, although I suppose it depends on the AWD system...
http://www.autoblog.com/2014/10/24/honda-cr-v-fails-swedish-awd-test/

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #32 on: October 24, 2014, 03:39:29 PM »
Had a friend who was in a TERRIBLE car accident (hit by a drunk driver and spun into the grassy median) on a freeway in a Honda CRV and police said they couldn't believe they survived the accident and only sustained minor injuries such as cuts and bruises. Just in case safety concerns factor in. This was in a Winnipeg winter, BTW.

MayDay

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #33 on: October 24, 2014, 04:20:40 PM »
My brother is 6'7" and drives a Mazda 3.  Lol that he needs a giant SUV to drive himself around in while you and two kids are in the small car.  I understand this is a marital issue more so than a budget issue, but you should be properly aware of how ridiculous he is to cling to a huge car that he doesn't really need. 

That said, with a long commute, why do you need so much leg room and such a big trunk?  Isn't the car mostly being used for your commute?  With just you in it? 

I would probably go for a fit, a civic, or a Prius.  We have a civic (03) with 120k miles that we just sold for 5k.  Good mileage, pretty cheap to maintain, and fits my 4 and 7 year old fine for everything except camping (not enough trunk room to go camping with 4 people).  But for regular road trips it's fine. 

chunkmunk001

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #34 on: October 27, 2014, 10:34:38 AM »
My brother is 6'7" and drives a Mazda 3.  Lol that he needs a giant SUV to drive himself around in while you and two kids are in the small car.  I understand this is a marital issue more so than a budget issue, but you should be properly aware of how ridiculous he is to cling to a huge car that he doesn't really need. 

That said, with a long commute, why do you need so much leg room and such a big trunk?  Isn't the car mostly being used for your commute?  With just you in it? 

I would probably go for a fit, a civic, or a Prius.  We have a civic (03) with 120k miles that we just sold for 5k.  Good mileage, pretty cheap to maintain, and fits my 4 and 7 year old fine for everything except camping (not enough trunk room to go camping with 4 people).  But for regular road trips it's fine.

Thanks for your input.  However, the issue isn't my husband "clinging to a huge car that he doesn't really need", it's me buy a car that will not only be used for driving to and from work but for all our other daily family needs that I need to do with children.  We sometimes take my car whenever we go to some places because of size for parking, gas etc. so his height is factored into my choice of car although not heavily since I will be driving it the most. 

I did think about the Prius for the gas mileage but don't like it for other reasons (look, not sure how it handles snow....).  Also, don't think we can afford the cost of buying a hybrid now unfortunately. 

chunkmunk001

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #35 on: October 27, 2014, 10:52:53 AM »

Thanks but don't give me too much credit yet :-).  While I'm open to the idea of buying a fwd vehicle I would still prefer to buy a AWD/ 4WD vehicle. 

Fodder

• Stubble
« Reply #36 on: October 27, 2014, 10:54:45 AM »
We have a family of four and drive an older Matrix and I have found it fabulous for us.  We are in Ottawa, so are well familiar with crappy winter roads (snow tires are an absolute must), and the versatility of the hatchback means that we have no trouble fitting in everything we need.

We have previously owned a 2003 G35 (beautiful vehicle!), but for all that the Matrix is less luxurious, it is so much better suited to family life.  I'd definitely check out the Matrix/Vibe/Hyundai Elantra Touring/Kia Rondo type vehicles.

daverobev

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #37 on: October 27, 2014, 12:15:13 PM »
We have a family of four and drive an older Matrix and I have found it fabulous for us.  We are in Ottawa, so are well familiar with crappy winter roads (snow tires are an absolute must), and the versatility of the hatchback means that we have no trouble fitting in everything we need.

We have previously owned a 2003 G35 (beautiful vehicle!), but for all that the Matrix is less luxurious, it is so much better suited to family life.  I'd definitely check out the Matrix/Vibe/Hyundai Elantra Touring/Kia Rondo type vehicles.

+1

AWD is really overkill, unless you live somewhere regularly unploughed, hilly, gravelly, etc. We too live near Ottawa. Remember, not too many years ago, people drove big, RWD cars with now snow tires (ugh, was that said in this thread already? These car threads are like a stuck record - no offence, OP, but it's true - if you want to you can save thousands by just getting a Civic or Matrix or whatever).

chunkmunk001

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #38 on: October 31, 2014, 12:07:02 PM »
Follow up: Found-
1- Guy selling his 2000 Toyota Rav4 (FWD) for $5000 with 56K miles open to trading his vehicle for mine...
2. Heading to a "mom and pop" dealership today to look at a 2000 Honda CRV for $5000 with 60K miles (AWD).  Accepts trade ins but not sure what they're gonna give me for my car

* Reminder I have a 2004 Infiniti G35x awd, with 165k miles, selling for $5650.

Forcus

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #39 on: October 31, 2014, 01:39:20 PM »
1- Guy selling his 2000 Toyota Rav4 (FWD) for $5000 with 56K miles open to trading his vehicle for mine...
2. Heading to a "mom and pop" dealership today to look at a 2000 Honda CRV for $5000 with 60K miles (AWD).  Accepts trade ins but not sure what they're gonna give me for my car

(1) sounds like a good deal especially the low miles, as long as it is in good shape. Around here, low miles is not a promise that it doesn't have rusty brake lines, suspension pieces, etc., or that it wasn't driven by a 500 lb smoker who used the bumpers as feelers. (2) probably won't give you much of anything on trade in.

imbros

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #40 on: October 31, 2014, 02:25:30 PM »

I have found interesting that there has been bunch of good posts above by people pointing out the negligible difference in fuel cost and AWD benefit, but you seem to be very adamant in selling the G35X. Your car is better and safer than the same year model (and definitely 2000 MY) CRV in pretty much everyway.

Also, the worst thing you can do to a car is let it sit. Neither of those CRVs are good deal. A 15 year car that's been mostly sitting throughout its life in Northeast or Midwest will have decayed belts, seals, you name it plastic parts and rust.

chunkmunk001

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #41 on: November 02, 2014, 05:43:14 PM »

I have found interesting that there has been bunch of good posts above by people pointing out the negligible difference in fuel cost and AWD benefit, but you seem to be very adamant in selling the G35X. Your car is better and safer than the same year model (and definitely 2000 MY) CRV in pretty much everyway.

Also, the worst thing you can do to a car is let it sit. Neither of those CRVs are good deal. A 15 year car that's been mostly sitting throughout its life in Northeast or Midwest will have decayed belts, seals, you name it plastic parts and rust.

I LOVE my car. One of the main reasons I am selling it at this point is that I don't want to wait until it dies before trying to get some money for it especially since  i am mostly using it as the payment for the other car. Also for 1. Better fuel economy since I gave a long commute 2. Getting something with cheaper costs for parts 2. Something more low key for the neighborhood in which I work....

Distshore

• Stubble
« Reply #42 on: November 03, 2014, 06:08:28 AM »
Probably won't be a popular suggestion, but I went with the Subaru Outback for family and cargo-carrying reasons.  However, I did get a newer model and I get > 30 mpg, and I know the older ones can suck a bit more than that.  I do love the AWD for NY's shitty somewhat under-budgetarily affected roads and for winter; and also the boot space means I don't have to spend $800/yr on U-Haul for picking up my Craiglist furniture, replacement doors for the house etc etc, so it's also our home renovation vehicle!  Also great with the built-in racks for our somewhat anti-Mustachian skiing habit, but that is a major personal priority for us.
So YMMV depending on your own priorities, but for us this is something I'm comfortable with for the present.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #43 on: November 03, 2014, 08:24:57 AM »
Probably won't be a popular suggestion, but I went with the Subaru Outback for family and cargo-carrying reasons.  However, I did get a newer model and I get > 30 mpg, and I know the older ones can suck a bit more than that.  I do love the AWD for NY's shitty somewhat under-budgetarily affected roads and for winter; and also the boot space means I don't have to spend $800/yr on U-Haul for picking up my Craiglist furniture, replacement doors for the house etc etc, so it's also our home renovation vehicle!  Also great with the built-in racks for our somewhat anti-Mustachian skiing habit, but that is a major personal priority for us.
So YMMV depending on your own priorities, but for us this is something I'm comfortable with for the present.

I have owned two Legacy wagons (which Subaru stopped making in 2008). I prefer it over the Outback because we don't need the extra ground clearance, but otherwise it's the same car. They have more space than a lot of SUVs. Really the only thing worth complaining about on it is the fuel economy.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!