Author Topic: Help dad with smart phone purchase  (Read 1510 times)

mozar

• Magnum Stache
Help dad with smart phone purchase
« on: October 16, 2018, 09:15:29 PM »
Hello,
My dad has this cheap phone he got at walmart. I don't know what's wrong with it but if he calls me or texts me it only comes through occasionally if ever. Unless I call him or text him first. Then it works for some reason. So this led to me missing my sister's birthday party (gah!) because he called and texted and I didn't get anything. And he doesn't have internet at home so he can't shoot me a quick email to see what's up.

I was thinking about getting him something like this:
https://www.virginmobileusa.com/shop/phonedetails#/phones/coolpad-illumina

But he needs to be able to download outlook for android and I'm not sure how that would work on a stripped down phone. Any recommendations for a solid phone? And remember that I am the one doing the work here so I'm not so keen on chasing down used phones on craigslist.

dang1

• Pencil Stache
Re: Help dad with smart phone purchase
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2018, 10:43:43 PM »
for several years now, my backup phone is a Verizon-branded Motorola 2013 Moto X. Although it originally came out on Verizon, I have an Airvoice SIM card on the $10 for 3 months pay-as-you-go plan, that uses the ATT network. It doesnt run as fast as my primary phone- a Samsung Galaxy S7 on Verizon (typically I use 80-90 GB/month on the S7) , but for casual use, the Moto X is plenty capable. On eBay, they currently go for around $50 used with the option to return to seller if not satisfied.

mozar

• Magnum Stache
Re: Help dad with smart phone purchase
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2018, 06:43:15 PM »
Oh hey! Thanks for responding. I did end up going with the moto line.