Author Topic: HELP: Credit counseling for elderly friends!  (Read 1478 times)

ObviouslyNotAGolfer

• Pencil Stache
HELP: Credit counseling for elderly friends!
« on: September 23, 2017, 09:29:48 PM »
They are in a lot of cc debt, high interest rates, on fixed (retirement) income. I don't think they need to be told to be more frugal, as I believe many of the expenses were unexpected home repairs. I told them I would get some info on debt relief and lowering interest rates. I have zero debt and thus have never had this problem!

Where should I refer them to get their interest rates lowered and possibly some kind of repayment plan?

Thanks

EarthSurfer

• Stubble
Re: HELP: Credit counseling for elderly friends!
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2017, 11:22:40 PM »
Search for "Consumer Credit Counseling" in your area. You want the non-profit operating under this exact name. I have worked as a volunteer with CCC of Denver in the late 2000s, and the organization is dedicated to helping clients bring sanity to their financial lives.

CCC will work with the client and the creditors on a Debt Management Plan (DMP) which will hopefully include reduced interest, longer loan terms, and possible fee forgiveness.

Note that if a DMP may adversely affect credit scores / ratings if it includes modification to the terms of credit, adjustment of principle, or forgiveness of fees. In most cases this is not significant because the client is usually in "bad shape" when they go for credit counseling. (I would argue the lower score is a good thing since it hopefully minimizes access to more credit.)

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!