Author Topic: HELP...Comcast no more as of March 1st  (Read 3774 times)

EconDiva

• Handlebar Stache
HELP...Comcast no more as of March 1st
« on: February 27, 2016, 05:51:55 PM »
So March 1st is it...I'm finally doing it...the cable and internet will be GONE on that day. 

No more Comcast...and I do expect to go through some withdrawal.  But I will have to figure it all out. 

In the meantime, I have to work evenings at home often.  But I do have a Verizon JetPack which I use during my commute on the train.  It seems to be ok, but sometimes I do experience issues. 

Question 1:  Should I test out the waters using the Verizon JetPack for a few weeks before determining if I need to get cheaper internet service with another provider?  (Considering AT&T UVerse for the 2000+ United miles bonus offer.)  Or should I sign up for something now?  Although I have the JetPack, I've been using my Comcast internet connection for work purposes.  This is pretty important, as I sometimes hold/host teleconferences from home with my Asia colleagues (and have one coming up this Tuesday evening).

Question 2:  What do I need to get in order to pick up the basic/free channels for now?  I'm not technically savvy so I have no idea what box, converter, antenna, whatever I need...I'm going to try to take care of this tomorrow if possible so I at least have a few channels to watch come Tuesday. 

TIA!!

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
Re: HELP...Comcast no more as of March 1st
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2016, 06:15:42 PM »
So, you cancelled cable tv and internet. I'm sure it's a cost cutting move. However, I think you may be going a little too far. You need reliable, good internet at home in order to work, and it's not infrequent. Sounds like you're risking your job in cutting the internet. Cable, sure. Internet?

You can look at a hotspot, or try your existing device. But if you're having trouble for more than a week, I'd recommend getting comcast or other company's internet. You can only excuse poor work performance for a little while, and that's what it sounds like you'll be showing.

EconDiva

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2016, 06:25:04 PM »
So, you cancelled cable tv and internet. I'm sure it's a cost cutting move. However, I think you may be going a little too far. You need reliable, good internet at home in order to work, and it's not infrequent. Sounds like you're risking your job in cutting the internet. Cable, sure. Internet?

You can look at a hotspot, or try your existing device. But if you're having trouble for more than a week, I'd recommend getting comcast or other company's internet. You can only excuse poor work performance for a little while, and that's what it sounds like you'll be showing.

Well that's why I was saying maybe I need to keep the internet.

But I'm really not interested in giving Comcast any more of my money.  There should be other, cheaper providers, no?  I spent over an hour on the phone with them (3 different people) last Saturday about this and the absolute positively cheapest rate for internet only they were willing to give me was $65. 

neophyte

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2016, 06:32:57 PM »
the absolute positively cheapest rate for internet only they were willing to give me was $65. 

Yikes!  Do you live in an apartment? Any chance you could knock on your neighbor's door and ask if you can share their wi-fi for $30 a month?  We share with our landlords and it works out well for us.

eliza

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2016, 07:43:43 PM »
You mentioned you have a JetPack - does your work pay for that? 

I used to have a work-provided JetPack that we were allowed to use for both work and personal purposes and it was fantastic.  I rarely had a problem with it (except in very rural areas with limited cell coverage).

I would recommend trying to use the JetPack for a few days and see if it's working out -- if not, then you can always get new internet installed.

EconDiva

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2016, 10:01:35 PM »
You mentioned you have a JetPack - does your work pay for that? 

I used to have a work-provided JetPack that we were allowed to use for both work and personal purposes and it was fantastic.  I rarely had a problem with it (except in very rural areas with limited cell coverage).

I would recommend trying to use the JetPack for a few days and see if it's working out -- if not, then you can always get new internet installed.

Yep...my job pays for the JetPack.  They wanted me to have a way to work while commuting.

But I carry it everywhere (and have used it on vacations as I usually have my laptop with me and still log in/respond to certain communications).

chemistk

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2016, 06:06:48 AM »
That's the biggest issue with dealing with Comcast - they suck to deal with but are reliable when it comes to internet. We're paying for a Comcast package where we get 10 basic SD channels and 20mbps internet. However, we'll be moving to an area that's not serviced by Comcast and our options suck - pay the same that we're paying Comcast now but for 1/3 speed internet, or get DSL and pay $10/month less for 1/5 the speed and a 2 year contract.

Since you cut the cord already, I would see how to hotspot works for you, since it's a tool you need to do your job, your company should have no issues paying for any extra use it's going to get. As far as antennas go - get a Mohu Leaf -http://www.amazon.com/Mohu-Paper-thin-Reversible-Performance-MH-110598/dp/B00HSMK580. You can't beat it as far as antennas go (and if this doesn't work, you'll probably need an external antenna)

After a month or two, reevaluate and see where you are with the internet situation. You might find yourself needing to reconnect to Comcast (go for an internet-only plan with lower speeds for personal use) or going for a different provider. It might be worth trying to negotiate a lower rate, too.

Eric

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2016, 11:58:09 AM »
But I'm really not interested in giving Comcast any more of my money.  There should be other, cheaper providers, no?  I spent over an hour on the phone with them (3 different people) last Saturday about this and the absolute positively cheapest rate for internet only they were willing to give me was $65.

Well are there other providers in your area or not?  I'm guessing not, if Comcast won't budge below $65.  They tend to know when they have competition and when they don't and set rates or cut deals accordingly.

begood

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2016, 01:11:41 PM »
I used a Verizon JetPack as my ONLY internet for 67 months and 13 days, which is how long it took us to get Verizon to agree to run FiOS out to our off-the-beaten-path location.

I found it to be very reliable, very steady. I work from home (I'm an editor), and I was able to download and send all the files I needed to for work. But for audio conference calls or Skyping? It would be prohibitively expensive unless work is going to pay the whole bill.

We basically didn't do any video streaming, photo uploading, Facetime-ing, or Pandora over the JetPack. And I turned it off at night so nothing would update over it when I wasn't paying attention.

So it can be done, but BOY was I happy to get FiOS.