Author Topic: Help with becoming independent from parents (in a foreign country)  (Read 1775 times)

Diego

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Hi everybody, next month I’m going to change my job (located in Spain, where I live with my parents) to another one located in Germany, where I’m gonna be completely alone (my girlfriend is also staying in Spain).

This is going to be the first time I move from my parent’s house too, so some tips are welcomed :).

My initial plan is to be in Germany for 1 or 1.5 years, and because of this, I want a minimalistic lifestyle. Rent houses there are usually given to you completely empty and you need to buy all the furniture, etc., so I’m looking for a small, near to my job place to live. I’ve also considered living in a van (I read the ‘living in a volt’ thread and found it fascinating), but everybody I know tells me winters in Germany are very cold, so for now I’m going for a house, although I want to keep a minimum amount of things just in case I decide to go for a van in any moment.

The way I’m organizing myself is by doing some lists. For example:

- I’m going to keep track of all the things I own (with a maximum number of items allowed).
- I’m going to repeat the same meals every 14 days (my cooking skills are bad, so I think this is the best option). My diet is made by a nutritionist.
- I’m going to set up some basic rules, such as cleaning the shower after each use, and some basic schedule rules.

With all these restrictions, I believe I will be able to have control over my life in there, and maintain my happiness level high most of the days, at the same time I live a frugal lifestyle.

But, between you and me, I’m a bit scared of all of this stuff. So if you have some tips I’ll be happy to hear them! Thanks!!

PS: If anybody lives in Germany (Leipzig), it‘d be great to meet you!
« Last Edit: June 02, 2018, 12:20:00 PM by Diego »

Chrissy

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Help with becoming independent from parents (in a foreign country)
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2018, 12:15:30 PM »
You're going on a big adventure!  Have a great time.  The plan sounds good; stay flexible and be willing to make changes as you go.  You're going to learn a lot about yourself.

elliha

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2018, 12:23:12 PM »
Good luck! I am sure it will be great to try out your new life and plans.

chrisgermany

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2018, 10:52:28 PM »
Rent a room. Google for Mitwohnzentrale or Zwischenmiete.
If unfurnished get cheap furniture at Sozialkaufhaus or Sozialwarenhaus or Caritas. Other household stuff will also be available there.
Try Meetup to get a social life soon.

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2018, 01:55:28 AM »
Join local facebook groups for selling and buying stuff and social groups for expats.

Everyone needs to buy furniture, kitchen tools etc. when they're moving to a different country and most people don't take it with them when they return. In the local facebook group I often see people selling all their (Ikea) stuff very cheaply when they return to their home country. I've picked up quite a lot of things for of my own home through that group and I've never paid more than €5.

I certainly would not want to live in a van in Leipzig during winter, but if you're still considering van living during the summer months, a big city like Leipzig might have longstay hotels where you'd be able to live during winter.

terran

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2018, 05:26:03 AM »
- I’m going to repeat the same meals every 14 days (my cooking skills are bad, so I think this is the best option). My diet is made by a nutritionist.
- I’m going to set up some basic rules, such as cleaning the shower after each use, and some basic schedule rules.

It sounds like this month would be a great opportunity to spend some quality time with your parents getting them to teach you some domestic skills! Do you have any favorite meals you can get you mom or dad to teach you? Cooking is a great life skill to develop, especially for a mustachian.