Author Topic: Help a renter out  (Read 1962 times)

Brokefuturedoctor

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Help a renter out
« on: July 03, 2016, 07:04:38 AM »
I just moved into a rental house which is on the older side (not sure exactly when it was built) from an apartment a few days ago, and I need some help figuring out how to cheaply insulate a 90 square foot room. It is essentially an add-on to the original house and has no vent connected to the central AC. As such, it gets pretty hot during the day.

I am renting the place for 3 years while I am in medical school, so I could use some help figuring out how to insulate it both in the summer and winter. Additionally, it seems to be a bit more humid in here than in the rest of the house if you all have any ideas for that. My only thought was a small dehumidifier, but I don't know how much power those pull when on all the time. Thank you for any input!
« Last Edit: July 03, 2016, 07:09:40 AM by Brokefuturedoctor »

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
Re: Help a renter out
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2016, 03:32:36 PM »
I suppose you could try wall hangings, like they used to do before central heating. If you're getting direct sun through the windows, then curtains to block the sun would help. True insulation would involve getting into the walls.

In the summer, increasing air flow might help with humidity, and also temperature. Get a good fan.

Dehumidifiers do tend to use a decent amount of power, but after a point they're not luxuries, they are necessities. If you get into necessity territory, then don't skimp on it or you'll end up with much bigger expenses when you have to replace damaged items.