Author Topic: Help! Should I sell my [dream] truck?!  (Read 13906 times)

garth.

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • don't be a clown.
Help! Should I sell my [dream] truck?!
« on: July 25, 2015, 02:14:33 PM »
Hey everyone! I've been a lurker on mmm for quite some time, and after reading through most of the mmm articles, I've decided to change my ways.

[fwiw, I'm 33 and live in the burbs with my wife and three kids (3,5,6)]

- I've put a halt on my frivolous spending on ridiculous things.
- I'm now riding my bike to work; all five (what I previously thought impossible) miles.
- I've set a goal of saving what I need to quit my 9-5 job so I can work for myself.

But I have a predicament. In my previous ridiculous live (a year ago), I somehow thought I was justified to purchase a brand new 4-door toyota tacoma 4x4, which out the door cost $41K after taxes (paid for in cash). It’s a really nice and rare tacoma for going off-road (which I've done once) but was used mostly for driving five miles to work (yes, I was a clown...).

So in an effort to become a true mustachian, I’m debating on whether I should sell it. I know any mustachian in their right ‘stache would punch me in the face if I didn’t, but:

- I don’t really need the money—but I do understand that I could sell it, buy a civic and invest the rest..
- If I do sell it, I can probably get $36K for it (losing $5K).
- Since I’m riding my bike now, it would only be sitting around except for when necessary—and doesn’t this justify keeping it? :)
- It’s my dream truck that I would like to keep forever.

My wife says I'm being extreme and should just keep it for when we need it, but I feel like such a clown.

Am I crazy for even needing to post this?

— a tormented noob-mustachian
« Last Edit: July 25, 2015, 02:36:38 PM by garth. »

Rezdent

• Pencil Stache
Re: Help! Should I sell my [dream] truck?!
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2015, 02:33:49 PM »
Okay, whatt are the positives?
It's paid for.
You would lose money selling it.
It is your dream truck.
These trucks last for years.

Hmm.
Selling would bring in some cash, but would you need something to replace it?

garth.

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • don't be a clown.
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2015, 02:41:00 PM »
Okay, whatt are the positives?
It's paid for.
You would lose money selling it.
It is your dream truck.
These trucks last for years.

Yes, these are true.

Hmm.
Selling would bring in some cash, but would you need something to replace it?

I'd prefer not to, but with three kids in school and activities, a second vehicle would likely be a good idea for when needed.

brainfart

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2015, 02:50:23 PM »
This is so f...g obvious that you really deserve to be kicked in the teeth.
If you keep that monster you will lose way more than 5 grand! Sell it yesterday. Or tomorrow.

> - I don’t really need the money

Unless you already own a high six  or even seven figure sum you do NEED that money! The value of your car will decrease, that's 100% certain. If you invest that money there's a high chance the value of that money will increase significantly over the next decades.

garth.

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • don't be a clown.
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2015, 02:57:05 PM »
This is so f...g obvious that you really deserve to be kicked in the teeth.
If you keep that monster you will lose way more than 5 grand! Sell it yesterday. Or tomorrow.

Yes, I totally get this. Thanks.

> - I don’t really need the money

Unless you already own a high six  or even seven figure sum you do NEED that money! The value of your car will decrease, that's 100% certain. If you invest that money there's a high chance the value of that money will increase significantly over the next decades.

I have about $500K put away as of now. But I'm with you...I know the value will ultimately go down.

Thanks for your input (ouch!) :)

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2015, 04:27:13 PM »
Do you really plan on offroading a $40k truck? Or would you be better served with an older Tacoma that's seen its share of scratches already?  I've had two first gen Tacomas ('98 and '99) and they are awesome trucks. I sold my '99 earlier this year for $1000 more than I paid two years prior. They aren't really depreciating anymore.

brainfart

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2015, 04:39:03 PM »
If you sell it you "lose" 1% of your current invested money which is less than the usual pre-noon market fluctuation, but you are able to put 7% more money into your Vanguard or whatever account which easily might be one years investment return. This is a free 7% return. Plus compound interest in the coming years.

You can buy the same truck for much less once you hit the 1 million milestone in a few years. Or an improved, newer model. Used, of course, so someone else took the loss of value of a once new car.

bsmith

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2015, 04:41:37 PM »
Sell the damn thing. It *was* your dream truck. Now you're older and wiser. Time to get new dreams. Certainly less clown-car spendypants dreams. You enjoyed it, now you don't, move on.

/facepunch

Bob W

• Magnum Stache
  • Live on minimum wage, earn on maximum
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2015, 05:02:45 PM »
Well you are not using it?    Besides my 1999 mountaineer that I can drive through the brush, creeks, rocks and generally abuse would beat the shit out of you fancy pants trophy truck.  I paid 3 k for mine.    Or buy any number of old trucks or SUVs.     Or man up and get you a 2006 Camry with 140k.    Let's see that 30k invested over 60 years would come to 5 million inflation adjusted.   Would your grand kids rather have 5 million or some old truck?   Face punch.

80Westy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2015, 05:11:04 PM »
Selling doesnt make you lose $5k. It's already GONE.  The value has dropped and will continue to do so, and selling prevents further losses.  Every day that passes will be the day that truck was worth the most.  Sell it.  Read my thread on pending insane purchase. If I can sell a wrangler after 3 months you can sell this crate too.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2015, 06:29:08 PM »
Well you are not using it?    Besides my 1999 mountaineer that I can drive through the brush, creeks, rocks and generally abuse would beat the shit out of you fancy pants trophy truck.  I paid 3 k for mine.    Or buy any number of old trucks or SUVs.     Or man up and get you a 2006 Camry with 140k.    Let's see that 30k invested over 60 years would come to 5 million inflation adjusted.   Would your grand kids rather have 5 million or some old truck?   Face punch.
I've never met anyone who'd prefer a Ford Explorer over a 4wd Tacoma offroad, but that's another topic of discussion. :P  I paid $4500 for mine and sold it a couple of years later (with 283k miles) for $5500.

Bob W

• Magnum Stache
  • Live on minimum wage, earn on maximum
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2015, 09:36:23 AM »
I've never met anyone who'd prefer a Ford Explorer over a 4wd Tacoma offroad, but that's another topic of discussion. :P  I paid $4500 for mine and sold it a couple of years later (with 283k miles) for $5500.
people generally only drive nice trucks off road in TV ads.   My preference was for the price point primarily.   Yeah, Toyotas rock,  but my 300k Ford is doing nicely as well.

Rufus.T.Firefly

• Bristles
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2015, 10:21:37 AM »
Sell it!

But don't think of it as selling your truck. Think of it as storing it on Craigslist. You can always come back and buy a similar truck later if you truly regret it. I'm guessing you're hesitating because it feels like a permanent decision. While you make up your mind if you really want the truck over the next 1-2 years, you won't have to pay for depreciation, insurance, taxes, maintenance, or gas.

My guess is you won't regret it at all. Instead you'll feel badass about your money-over-emotions decision - which is more powerful an emotion than you will have ever felt driving the thing.

stlbrah

• Bristles
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2015, 10:48:50 AM »
I would sell it. Trucks are probably the single biggest money-wasters in my part of the country.

I live in missouri, and in this state it is the manly thing to do to buy a ridiculous truck. 90% of these people don't even use the bed of the truck. I don't know, the truck fashion statement just makes me rage due to said personal experiences.

I used to have a big black chevy silverado with black wheels and stuff. It was a nice truck but I am 100% better off without it in my mid-sized 30mpg sedan. No more expensive breaks and tires, bad mpg, etc. I think you will be happier without the truck.

Faraday

• Handlebar Stache
  • Solar Powered Slice
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2015, 12:42:30 PM »
So in an effort to become a true mustachian, I’m debating on whether I should sell it....

- I don’t really need the money—but I do understand that I could sell it, buy a civic and invest the rest..
- If I do sell it, I can probably get $36K for it (losing $5K).
- Since I’m riding my bike now, it would only be sitting around except for when necessary—and doesn’t this justify keeping it? :)
- It’s my dream truck that I would like to keep forever.

My wife says I'm being extreme and should just keep it for when we need it, but I feel like such a clown.
Am I crazy for even needing to post this?
— a tormented noob-mustachian

Garth, welcome to MMM and the frugal lifestyle! Congratulations on your realization, huge kudos to you for seeing past the insanity!

What should you do? Yes, you should sell it. However....

1) Your wife has seen you "sieze on" ideas before. She is afraid you'll sell it, then miss it too much, pine for a new one, then actually buy another. So you've got to be clear with yourself how committed you are to the frugal lifestyle before you sell it. How are you going to feel when you see other guys tooling around in *YOUR* dream truck while you ride the bike?

2) Are you going to resent any vehicle you buy to replace it with? Are you going to gaze at that awesome Tacoma that pulls up next to you at the light, while you are sitting in your frugal Civic? Are you going to look longingly at that other Tacoma while you whine to the wife about it?

3) Did you buy it only as a "toy", or do you have actual, functional things you need to do with it? ie: haul lumber, mulch, trash, furniture, etc. Stuff like that, say, at least four or more times a year?

4) Do you "identify" with the truck as a symbol of masculinity?

What I'm getting at here is, you need to assess both your marital situation (and the effect the truck has had on it) and your actual, true need for the truck. If it was only a toy and you've truly figured out the futility of owning and driving a "toy", then by all means, sell it.

But: replace it with a vehicle that has added importance, usefulness and functionality for you and the wife. Did you forego a minivan to buy the truck? Well then, you suck majorly. Sell the truck and get a 2-3 year old minivan that gets good mpg. (Honda? Toyota?) Then get ready to enjoy the positive vibes you get from the DW for that decision. 

Replace the positives of the truck with a vehicle that has even more positives that you can daily profit from. Don't get rid of the Tacoma and suffer with a vehicle that can't satisfy any of the family needs.

Digital Dogma

• Bristles
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2015, 01:07:18 PM »
I drive a Tacoma as my one and only vehicle so I feel your pain at the thought of selling it, though mine was only 24.5k new.

How I see it is this, you have a 36k liability sitting in your driveway. It probably costs you 1k per year to insure/register/tax or more. For the frequency you would use the truck for necessary tasks you could certainly cut down on that with a trailer, and for larger tasks a rental truck would cut it.
Turn that 36k liability thats eating thousands of your dollars per year into 36k in assets that earns quarterly dividends.

MrsPete

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2015, 08:07:47 AM »
Admittedly, I'm not a car person ... but why would anyone "dream" of owning a specific truck?  Or any vehicle? 

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2015, 08:27:41 AM »
to echo a few of the other posters...

The purchase price of your Tacoma is a sunk-cost.  What matters going forward is the money you will loose in depreciation and ownership (do not forget taxes and insurance on a newish $44k truck, plus the poor fuel economy!).  This truck continues to cost you several thousand every year you keep it - over a hundred dollars every single week.

Sell the vehicle.  If you must, buy something used for $10k which fits your actual lifestyle.  This can be a good passive lesson to your kids about making practical money decisions.

Once you are FI, if you really want you can re-buy this machine gently used for half the price.  From your own information, it sounds like you could be FI in less than a decade, maybe even in 4 or 5 years.

also, welcome to the forum!

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2015, 08:43:11 AM »
Admittedly, I'm not a car person ... but why would anyone "dream" of owning a specific truck?  Or any vehicle?
Why would anyone "dream" of owning a specific house (or any property)? Or why would anyone "dream" of having a dog, or a wedding, or kids? Or anything, for that matter?

To some people, vehicles are merely appliances. To others, they're a passion.

OP: If you will use a truck for truck-stuff and you want to offroad as well, I highly recommend a first-gen Tacoma (if you don't live in the salt belt).
Example: http://tucson.craigslist.org/cto/5102857635.html
« Last Edit: July 27, 2015, 08:47:12 AM by JLee »

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2015, 09:06:48 AM »

Syonyk

• Magnum Stache
    • Syonyk's Project Blog
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2015, 09:11:04 AM »
If it's a somewhat rare build sheet set up for off roading, you can likely find someone looking for that willing to pay a bit more than they would for a more common build.  Try some 4x4 forums & such.

If you regularly use it as a truck, for things you can't do with a car, it may be worth keeping around, but you can find a damned nice truck for an awful lot less money - Ranger, or an older F150 or something.  If you're not commuting in it, it doesn't have to be the fanciest thing out there - it just needs wheels and a bed to be a truck.

I've got a truck, but it gets regularly used as one, I plan to run it roughly forever (and it should do it), I don't commute in it, and my wife & I have quite concrete plans for our life that require the ability to tow 10k+ lbs somewhat regularly (home schooling + educational travel with our kid/kids, so I'm going to refurb an older 5th wheel trailer, plus her family does antique cars which we intend to get involved with).

Scandium

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2015, 09:37:42 AM »
Why would anyone "dream" of owning a specific house (or any property)? Or why would anyone "dream" of having a dog, or a wedding, or kids? Or anything, for that matter?

I still don't get it. What's so dreamy about having a car with a slightly larger trunk with no roof over it? How do someone derive more joy from being able to transport slightly larger things than one can in a most other vehicles? (except when it's raining, or it's expensive and you park somewhere, etc). I guess I "dream" of a house with a huge wood shop which would let me do things I can't in my current house. Being able to transport a fridge standing up, which I could do by renting anyway, just doesn't do the same thing for me. Guess I'm missing some man-gene

waffle

• Bristles
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2015, 09:43:15 AM »
I totally know how you feel. After finding MMM and realizing how stupid I had been with my purchases I gave up my new truck. It was pretty painful for me, but I knew it had to be done. In my situation I was about 30k in debt for my purchase and paying 4.5% interest on it. That helped me make my decision. If I was debt free and had paid cash for it I would have had a much harder time giving it up.

Sailor Sam

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2015, 10:13:24 AM »
Meh. I would second evaluating your emotional attachment to the truck. If the hedonic treadmill is grinding the shine right off your expensive indulgence, well then, you should sell before any further deprecation happens. If you still love looking at the truck, love polishing the truck, love just thinking about the truck, then keep the truck. If you plan on driving it for 30 years then gifting it to your progeny, then keep the truck. There are plenty of people on the forum with car habits.

I think it's one of those responses that 'just is.' Some people see beauty in raw nature, some people see beauty in human works. Some see beauty in an immaculately polished and swirl free paint job. I never did anything to activate my car lust, it just exists.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2015, 10:19:27 AM »

I still don't get it. What's so dreamy about having a car with a slightly larger trunk with no roof over it? How do someone derive more joy from being able to transport slightly larger things than one can in a most other vehicles? (except when it's raining, or it's expensive and you park somewhere, etc). I guess I "dream" of a house with a huge wood shop which would let me do things I can't in my current house. Being able to transport a fridge standing up, which I could do by renting anyway, just doesn't do the same thing for me. Guess I'm missing some man-gene

I suppose that's the beauty of individuality. You don't have to "get it."  This is what I do for fun. And build these.

To each their own, ya?

Scandium

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2015, 10:28:55 AM »

I suppose that's the beauty of individuality. You don't have to "get it."  This is what I do for fun. And build these.

To each their own, ya?

Well yeah, but that's something different. And I might think it's fun too. My point was more about people who use trucks the same way I use a car; driving to and from work, occasionally transporting things (99% of which fit in a hatchback) and people. Where the truck doesn't let you do anything differently, except for said slightly larger items.

I too enjoy getting new tools to do new things, but getting expensive, less convenient tools to do the same things less efficiently? Not what I dream of.
But like you said; individuality.

ps: before anyone comes with: " I use my truck for my construction business!". Not what I'm talking about. It's the suburb, office worker truck owner.

Coloradostache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2015, 10:53:33 AM »
As some motivation, I will tell you that in April I sold my 2013 Tacoma TRD Off Road for $5K less (including taxes and registration!) than I paid for it brand new 2 years prior.  I got $27K for it (paid $32K) and it had 46000 miles, needed tires, and had a damaged bumper from off roading.  I then turned around and bought a really clean 2003 Tacoma TRD, and like it even more knowing its basically done depreciating and I have an extra $15K in my pocket.  NO regrets!

I also sold my 2002 BMW M3 about a month later, and now have a nice Tacoma and a total of $35K more in my pocket. 

That said, I'm having trouble parting with my 88 M3, but it appears to be appreciating, so still hanging onto that "dream car".

waffle

• Bristles
« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2015, 11:05:54 AM »
As some motivation, I will tell you that in April I sold my 2013 Tacoma TRD Off Road for $5K less (including taxes and registration!) than I paid for it brand new 2 years prior.  I got $27K for it (paid $32K) and it had 46000 miles, needed tires, and had a damaged bumper from off roading.  I then turned around and bought a really clean 2003 Tacoma TRD, and like it even more knowing its basically done depreciating and I have an extra $15K in my pocket.  NO regrets!

That was my truck. I loved the 2013 Tacoma! Then I got married and decided an even bigger truck was better (for the kids of course). Then wised up and sold that. I still look at Tacomas on the street with a bit of envy. Looking back though if I had kept my paid off 2000 CRV for another 50-75k miles I would have my student loans paid off and a decent chunk of cash in the bank. I figure I flushed about $20k down the drain by bouncing around between cars (principle, interest, accessories, extra fuel and insurance costs, added interest to my student loans that I haven't paid off, etc...) I'll be kicking myself for a while. If I'd just stayed frugal after landing my first major job I could have been in a position to buy whatever car I want in cash soon.

HairyUpperLip

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #28 on: July 27, 2015, 11:13:41 AM »
I'd say sell it and buy an older Tacoma and don't stress when it breaks while off roading. you don't even to spend more than $10k and you'd probably have a pretty nice one.

In the hole

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #29 on: July 27, 2015, 07:21:12 PM »

I also sold my 2002 BMW M3 about a month later, and now have a nice Tacoma and a total of $35K more in my pocket. 

That said, I'm having trouble parting with my 88 M3, but it appears to be appreciating, so still hanging onto that "dream car".

The resale market for tacos is unlike anything else out there (well, except jeep wranglers). Depreciation proceeds at a minuscule rate for a decade and then stops entirely.

So I am going to actually go the other way on this one for the OP. Keep the truck. It's not an investment but it will lose value slower than any late-model replacement and will be bulletproof as well. You've stated it is your dream truck and that you'll want another vehicle anyway. Yes the absolute right answer is to sell it, invest 30K and buy an old Camry for 6K, but the fact that you call it your dream truck makes me think you would regret that choice.

For those saying he should sell it and buy an old taco, in that case he is on the wrong end of the ridiculous resale market. Either sell it and buy a ford ranger or something else that can be found for a good price, or keep it.

Faraday

• Handlebar Stache
  • Solar Powered Slice
« Reply #30 on: July 27, 2015, 08:25:55 PM »

The resale market for tacos is unlike anything else out there (well, except jeep wranglers). Depreciation proceeds at a minuscule rate for a decade and then stops entirely.

So I am going to actually go the other way on this one for the OP. Keep the truck. It's not an investment but it will lose value slower than any late-model replacement and will be bulletproof as well. You've stated it is your dream truck and that you'll want another vehicle anyway. Yes the absolute right answer is to sell it, invest 30K and buy an old Camry for 6K, but the fact that you call it your dream truck makes me think you would regret that choice.

For those saying he should sell it and buy an old taco, in that case he is on the wrong end of the ridiculous resale market. Either sell it and buy a ford ranger or something else that can be found for a good price, or keep it.

I'll +1 to what "In The Hole" said....I've shopped used Toyota Tacomas for... like 20 years (how long have they been around?) and the perfect 2-5 year old fully depreciated Toyota Tacoma does not exist. They are all in their owners garages. The Toyota Tacoma is about the most difficult vehicle I've ever seen to buy used.

That's why I kinda gave the OP the "twenty questions" treatment. He's already been through the non-mustachian phase of owning the pickup...he could drive the damn thing for the next 20 years and every year it'll become more and more mustachian.

And BTW: what did I end up with?
A 2005 Ford F-150 Super-Cab V8 with a salvage title. Paid $3500 for it, tax value is $5500. It is an interesting and useful vehicle in it's own right, and a few more mods and I'll have that sucker doing 20mpg easy. (BTW: this is NOT my commute vehicle. That one is a 2000 Honda Insight that gets 60mpg all day long...)

How did I get it so cheap? Well, it is salvage, but the repair work is excellent. It's the damned, MF*ing spark plugs. Those Autolite ones that snap off when you try to swap 'em. Took me a day on each one to extract it and replace with a new one. I'm pretty good with the Lisle 63600 "Extractor Tool" now.

But...it ain't no Taco. I look at the Tacomas longingly, but the pain is totally balanced out by the "It's Paid For, Shuddup!" in my head. Plus, F-150 owners are a damned proud lot and they sure like to look at each other's F-150's. So I do get some satisfaction out of that. At least I got to join the F-150 club....could be worse...could be a Suzuki Samurai! :-)
« Last Edit: July 27, 2015, 08:29:23 PM by mefla »

snogirl

• Bristles
« Reply #31 on: July 29, 2015, 02:48:04 PM »
Garth,  what model Tacoma, TRD PRO?  Those are sweet alas pricey!!
I know, I know, it's not so mustachian, but I've been driving my Toyota trucks into the ground since 1987.
My current ride & workhorse is paid for (DC TRD) & yes they are dang hard to find cheaply used.
I dunno, my gut is saying to sell it & find something that you can own outright...good luck with your decision.

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #32 on: July 29, 2015, 05:57:44 PM »
2000 Tacoma TRD owner here...I will NEVER sell my baby. I make no apologies for this fact. :)

JPScout800

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #33 on: August 07, 2018, 06:27:14 AM »
This thread came up in a google search and I've been hooked on the mustachian money train ever since.  I put my beloved 2015 Tundra up for sale a couple weeks a go and should be finalizing the sale this week.  I work with the person who bout my 14 year old, perfectly fine 4runner and she's now willing to sell it back to me, and I'm selling/downsizing everywhere else I can.  Very inspired. 

What does everyone think of the talks of the next recession coming before the end of Trump's term?  I caught the JRE Podcast with Peter Schiff and a lot of it made sense.

Ecky

• Bristles
« Reply #34 on: August 07, 2018, 07:10:58 AM »
Probably worth starting another topic on this. I'm personally not sure if the recession will start that soon, but it's coming. Looking forward to getting everything at a discount.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #35 on: August 07, 2018, 07:34:12 AM »
This thread came up in a google search and I've been hooked on the mustachian money train ever since.  I put my beloved 2015 Tundra up for sale a couple weeks a go and should be finalizing the sale this week.  I work with the person who bout my 14 year old, perfectly fine 4runner and she's now willing to sell it back to me, and I'm selling/downsizing everywhere else I can.  Very inspired. 
I love it when old threads get revived. I wonder what @garth decided. He should be at the $1M mark by now...

Probably worth starting another topic on this. I'm personally not sure if the recession will start that soon, but it's coming. Looking forward to getting everything at a discount.
Agree with Ecky, start a new thread.