Author Topic: Help! How do I know which Republic Wireless plan I should get?  (Read 2336 times)

tepenm

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Help! How do I know which Republic Wireless plan I should get?
« on: February 21, 2017, 08:23:24 AM »
I'm so sorry for the dumb question, I am super short on time and technologically impaired. Family of 4 on att, all iphones. I've been wanting out for years, but fam is not going with. So I'd like to dump mine and pray that one or more of the others will follow. (Bill this last month was $340, but usually about $276 for 4 phones.)  I was eyeballing the Moto G PLUS (4th Gen.) with the clear choice 1gb. I don't know what I don't know... any advice appreciated. Thank you in advance for anyone interested in helping a not-very-well-informed phone person. (LONG TIME MMM READER AND SUPPORTER THOUGH!!!!)

tepenm

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Help! How do I know which Republic Wireless plan I should get?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2017, 08:43:41 AM »
PS- I searched the forum for republic wireless and kept getting an error. maybe my lack of technological savvy at work.

Daley

• Magnum Stache
  • Still kickin', I guess.
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2017, 08:53:05 AM »
The search tool for the forums doesn't work well unless you do a very narrow search.

This said, let me introduce you to the guide.

Your best and cheapest option may very well be to keep your fancy-pants iPhones and just take them to Consumer Cellular (an AT&T MVNO) instead, but read the guide, learn what you actually need, and price out options from there. AT&T MVNO options with iPhones are limited due to MMS APN lockout, but Consumer Cellular works with the things.

tepenm

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2017, 08:55:16 AM »
thank you so much for the help. that was a lot I didn't really get, but i'm going to send to my husband to decipher. THANK YOU! :-)

Daley

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2017, 09:13:17 AM »
Reading the guide will help.

MVNO (Mobile Virtual Network Operator - a provider who buys service wholesale from a major mobile network operator and rebundles it into cheaper offerings than the mobile network operator frequently offers) - Consumer Cellular and Republic Wireless classify as MVNOs. AT&T and T-Mobile would classify as an MNO (Mobile Network Operator).

MMS APN - Don't worry about this too much, it's a phone setting. What matters about this in your case with an iPhone, however, is due to Apple phones specifically. Using an MVNO with a phone requires custom settings in the phone to access the internet and to receive group and multimedia messages. Apple (and this is one of my major beefs with them) has locked out their customers from accessing these settings on the AT&T network, and forbidden even backdoor reconfiguration options for the MMS settings on these phones. This restriction means that Apple gets to dictate at least in part which providers you can take your phone to for usage, unless you want a very key core functionality of the phone itself integrated into iMessage to completely break, preventing you from getting any multimedia messages, group texts, or messages in excess of 155 characters from any of your contacts who don't use iPhones themselves. As such, there's a very limited selection of "approved" AT&T MVNOs that Apple "permits" you to use without this functionality breaking. That short list is Consumer Cellular, Cricket, and Straight Talk.

Two of those three options have unsavory legal contracts and sub-par customer service, which is why I don't include them in the guide. It's also why I pointed you to Consumer Cellular. I tend to focus on companies that actually treat their customers with some respect and dignity instead of just chasing after the cheapest options, as supporting companies that treat their customers well tends to result in a far more pleasant experience, and preserves better options in the long run in a market that's incredibly cutthroat.

tepenm

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2017, 09:16:19 AM »
you're so nice AND smart. thank you again. :)

i read, and will re-read this. will take just a bit of time for me to parse out the info. have a great day!!

Daley

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2017, 09:19:39 AM »
No worries, take your time!

Any further questions or help needed, just ask.

eyePod

• Pencil Stache
    • Flipping A Dollar
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2017, 10:16:02 AM »
He's good looking too (or at least his avatar is).

tepenm

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2017, 09:48:13 AM »
Hi again, I'm just now getting back to this... any value in selling the iPhones and buying motos with republic wireless? Thank you again.

FIRE 20/20

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2017, 10:57:15 AM »
I have been with Republic Wireless for a little over 2 years and have been incredibly happy with them.  I.P. Daley is recognized as an expert on this topic here (*the* expert?) and really doesn't like Republic Wireless (see his link).  I've consistently had a $13 phone bill for the last couple of years because I use almost zero data, and at that price it's just not worth it to me to look around any more.  I just bought a cheap phone on a cheap plan from RW and everything just works with no more research.  The plan I am currently on is no longer available, so I'll probably move up to the $20 1GB plan whenever I get a new phone.  That's what my girlfriend has with a Moto G4, and her actual bill comes out to somewhere around $22-23 a month, I think.  Again, I'm sure we overpay, but because it's still cheap and we never need to think about our phones I think it's worth it. 

The #1 thing you need to be aware of with RW is that you have limited data over cell phone networks.  Their app helps you manage that pretty easily, but if you like to stream music (or video!) over the cell network then you do not want to use RW.  For all other uses it's fine.

The "easy button" with RW would be to buy something like a Moto G4 from them for $199, sign up for the $20/mo. plan, and just don't stream a lot of content.  If you do that you'll be fine.  I'm sure I.P. Daley's approach is more optimal and I think his criticism of RW is valid, but RW is so cheap and works so well that his probably valid concerns don't really apply to me.

FIRE 20/20

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2017, 10:58:26 AM »
One other thing - is there a way you can see how much data you have used over the past few months on your iPhone?  If so I would check that - if it's under 1GB a month then RW is probably a good option.  If you use a lot more than that and you're not willing to cut back then you should look elsewhere.