Author Topic: Help! How can I get the World Cup w/o cable after today? (in the US)  (Read 7752 times)

Bigote

• Bristles
Ok, I've been watching online via Univision, but that ends after today's games.

I could go get an antennae to connect to my television, but that's only going to get me the two games that are broadcast on ABC.

I should add, I'm not necessarily looking for a free option.   I would happily 'pay per view' if there is a way to do that without signing up for cable.

Yes, yes, I can go to a bar but I have a youngin' with me so that's not a realistic option.

Any ideas?

CarDude

• Pencil Stache
  • Beep Beep!
    • The CCD
Re: Help! How can I get the World Cup w/o cable after today? (in the US)
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2014, 08:13:07 AM »
I'd be interested in this too...also been watching through Univision...will see what I can find.

Icecreamarsenal

• Pencil Stache
  • Burnt
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2014, 08:23:16 AM »
I'm headed to a friends place; did NOT think my cable cancellation through last month!

Will

• Pencil Stache
  • What the deuce?!?!?
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2014, 08:25:26 AM »
I would imagine some other local establishments besides bars would have something set up.  They always have sports on at Applebee's.

Bigote

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2014, 08:38:52 AM »
Same as a bar for me.    The issue isn't getting my 5 year old into a bar, its the fact that he'd be bored stiff for 2.5 hours.   I need to do this at home.

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2014, 08:48:38 AM »
Find a friend who has WatchEspn.com access through their cable provider and borrow their credentials.

Gimesalot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2014, 08:54:19 AM »
My plan is to ask friends for their username and password so that I can watch via Univision. 

Just to let you know, its after July 4th that you need to register.

kallinan

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2014, 09:47:11 AM »
I go to the gym when I want to watch a sporting event.   Seems appropriate at some level.

Also, you can catch 15 minute extended highlights after.  I've found that's good enough for me, so I don't watch many games live.

Frugal Father

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2014, 09:56:18 AM »
I'm using TunnelBear (VPN) to watch it on the BBC website. It only costs $5/month for unlimited data. $5 to watch the World Cup sounded like a great deal to me. BBC hasn't been showing video of EVERY game (but most of them), but I think they will now that we're in the brackets. And as far as I understand, perfectly legal.

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2014, 10:01:03 AM »
I'm using TunnelBear (VPN) to watch it on the BBC website. It only costs $5/month for unlimited data. $5 to watch the World Cup sounded like a great deal to me. BBC hasn't been showing video of EVERY game (but most of them), but I think they will now that we're in the brackets. And as far as I understand, perfectly legal.
Definitely not legal (not judging, I do that all the time too). The BBC is funded by the license paid by everybody with a working television in the UK. You're not even supposed to stream it from their website if you live in the UK if you've never paid the license.

Frugal Father

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2014, 10:49:40 AM »
Definitely not legal (not judging, I do that all the time too). The BBC is funded by the license paid by everybody with a working television in the UK. You're not even supposed to stream it from their website if you live in the UK if you've never paid the license.

Oops... Noted. Thanks!

Bigote

• Bristles
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2014, 10:51:14 AM »

Can you buy just a month? 

Frugal Father

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2014, 11:39:01 AM »

Can you buy just a month?
If you remember to cancel it, yes. But know that from what Paul said, using it for access to the BBC broadcast of the games would apparently be illegal.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2014, 11:43:56 AM by Frugal Father »

Trirod

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2014, 12:09:26 PM »

For the games not on BBC, you will find them on ITV (one of the UK's other main TV channels), who have an ITV player very similar to BBC's iPlayer (except you have to watch ads, unlike on the BBC), and ITV doesn't have Gary Lineker (Greatest Living Englishman) in the studio.

dodojojo

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2014, 12:10:41 PM »
I could go get an antennae to connect to my television, but that's only going to get me the two games that are broadcast on ABC.

Univision is showing every game on its channel.  It's a network channel, aka, free.  It's 14.1 in the DC area.

Will

• Pencil Stache
  • What the deuce?!?!?
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2014, 07:45:59 PM »
Same as a bar for me.    The issue isn't getting my 5 year old into a bar, its the fact that he'd be bored stiff for 2.5 hours.   I need to do this at home.

I understand.  I would be in the same boat as your 5 year old.  ;)

Bigote

• Bristles
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2014, 02:33:36 PM »
So TunnelBear is really cool.   Of course, I won't use it to watch the cup, since that would be breaking a UK law.  :)

Frugal Father

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2014, 09:24:33 PM »
So TunnelBear is really cool.   Of course, I won't use it to watch the cup, since that would be breaking a UK law.  :)
+1 :)

iampatriciag

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2014, 11:51:51 AM »
I have a friend who watches via 'Rojadirecta' though when I recommended it to my husband, (to watch on his computer in another room) he said it didn't look like a very trustworthy site, but my friend uses it for all sports watching.

We have an Xbox membership and can get access via ESPN's app there.

Bigote

• Bristles
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2014, 02:21:48 PM »
Woah, BBC isn't carrying the Brazil game.    iTV requires an app download I can't do from US even while tunneling.  Same with CBC.   

Any other options?

goodlife

• Stubble
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2014, 08:02:12 AM »
Ahh, just saw this, hope you still need it: www.wiziwig.tv

Click on World Cup on the top and you will get a ton of links, you may need to try out a few before you find a working one, but it's always working.

ToughMother

• Bristles
« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2014, 08:26:42 AM »
Ahh, just saw this, hope you still need it: www.wiziwig.tv

Click on World Cup on the top and you will get a ton of links, you may need to try out a few before you find a working one, but it's always working.

Thanks Goodlife!!  I'm in the same boat as the rest...

Bigote

• Bristles
« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2014, 12:00:45 PM »
Woah, BBC isn't carrying the Brazil game.    iTV requires an app download I can't do from US even while tunneling.  Same with CBC.   

Any other options?

So I could tunnel on my Mac and watch ITV just now (again BBC not carrying the game).   Its only on the iPad that it forces you to an app, which I can't download.

jgrafton

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2014, 12:45:31 PM »
I was able to watch the Argentina game this morning on WatchESPN using my Apple TV.  I don't have a cable TV subscription.

CarDude

• Pencil Stache
  • Beep Beep!
    • The CCD
« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2014, 01:33:33 PM »
I have a friend who watches via 'Rojadirecta' though when I recommended it to my husband, (to watch on his computer in another room) he said it didn't look like a very trustworthy site, but my friend uses it for all sports watching.

We have an Xbox membership and can get access via ESPN's app there.

Thank you thank you thank you! Popped on there, found a station, and watching. It looks like it's a patch in to Univision, so yeah. I'm set for the rest of the World Cup. :D

kite

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2014, 05:42:12 PM »
My mother is getting them via her digital antenna in the Mid Atlantic region.  No cable or Internet in her house.   

Bigote

• Bristles
« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2014, 04:41:47 PM »
I post this as a PSA - dont forget to cancel your tunnelbear account if you went that way.   I camceled mine today, 3 days before it was going to autorenew.