Author Topic: Help! Clothes dryer screeches when first on  (Read 2213 times)

Dee18

• Handlebar Stache
Help! Clothes dryer screeches when first on
« on: September 06, 2015, 12:08:01 PM »
I used my clothes drying yesterday for the first time in several weeks.  The first few seconds it screeched.  I recalled that it did this the last time I used it.  The sound made me want to squirt some wd40 somewhere.  Any advice?  Should I just leave it since it's working?  Should I try lubricating something?  If so, what?  It's 18 years old but has done only about two loads a week-- or less.   

Cadman

• Pencil Stache
Re: Help! Clothes dryer screeches when first on
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2015, 12:11:37 PM »
It might be time for a new belt. The screech you hear is probably the motor shaft coming up to speed before it "grabs". Any oiling or spray would only make it worse. Most drum rollers were replaced with teflon 'glides' for the drums 20+ years ago so unless one is worn through, that's probably not it. The belt is cheap, but kind of difficult to replace depending on the model. Whatever it is, it's probably something simple and worth investigating. -C

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
Re: Help! Clothes dryer screeches when first on
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2015, 12:46:51 PM »
It might be time for a new belt. The screech you hear is probably the motor shaft coming up to speed before it "grabs". Any oiling or spray would only make it worse. Most drum rollers were replaced with teflon 'glides' for the drums 20+ years ago so unless one is worn through, that's probably not it. The belt is cheap, but kind of difficult to replace depending on the model. Whatever it is, it's probably something simple and worth investigating. -C
Yeah, sounds like a worn/loose belt to me as well.  If it were something in need of lubricant, you'd hear it constantly through the whole cycle.

chardog

• Stubble