Author Topic: Heating Pad, blanket, space heater - what should I get for my mom?  (Read 4552 times)

SunshineGirl

• Pencil Stache
My mom lives in a part of the country where it's often really cold, and her house gets quite cold. It's an older home with a furnace that needs to be replaced, etc., BUT my question for you today is can you give me some ideas for products that will help with this winter's chill? For those of you who live in cold climates, what makes a difference to you when it's cold? I want to send something, preferably from Amazon, and I don't know what would be best. I'm thinking an electric blanket, because that could be used easily wherever she sits...but I'm looking for advice. She's older, non-techy, and anxious. I would not get her anything that requires effort on her part to maintain, like a Mr. Heater.

Thanks.

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Heating Pad, blanket, space heater - what should I get for my mom?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2014, 08:50:16 AM »
I know you said Amazon, but consider LL Bean--and they do have free shipping. Down comforter. Flannel sheets and pillowcases. Flannel nightgowns. Sheepskin slippers. Merino wool long underwear. And while I know they're pricey, and shipping is not free, Orvis has really good-quality wool sweaters. (I know, I know--facepunch. But hey, it's for her mother.)

SunshineGirl

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2014, 08:56:46 AM »
LL Bean, yes! Her holiday gift was flannel sheets & pillowcases from there. My main thing is speed - I know it's going to be quite cold there this week.

MissStache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2014, 09:00:46 AM »
How about some silk long underwear?  When I lived in New England, that made all the difference in the world.  It is soft, luxurious, comfortable, and amazingly effective! 

SunshineGirl

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2014, 09:37:32 AM »
Serpentstooth, is it easy to get the cover/cap off the Fashy hot water bottles? I was looking at them on Amazon and the ones with velour covers, people commented that "it's impossible to remove the cover," but I'm thinking that's the velour part of it? If I just got the bottle itself, without a cover, do you think a person in their 70s would have a hard time with twisting the cap?

bogart

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2014, 09:49:45 AM »
Another huge fan of a heated mattress pad; of course, it only works when you're in bed!  I find a generous fleece throw (blanket) goes a long way, just as something easy to cart around the house and snuggle in, or throw over my lap.  They are inexpensive, durable, light, and a LOT easier to care for than is down.  If you're putting together a package, I might be tempted also to throw in some tea bags (and an electric kettle?), if she drinks the stuff. 

Another Reader

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2014, 09:52:26 AM »
Biddeford electric throw.  I bought a couple two years ago on clearance at Target for around $15.  They aren't on clearance at Target now, but they do the job.  If she sits a lot watching TV, they are great.  You can use them on a bed as well, although they may not cover all the bed. 

http://www.target.com/p/biddeford-heated-microplush-throw/-/A-14590644#prodSlot=medium_1_20

For someone older, an oil filled radiator heater is a safe heater.  They can be rolled from room to room and are not a fire hazard if they are tipped over.

SunshineGirl

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2014, 10:24:10 AM »
Thank you, everyone! I went with a Fashy hot water bottle, a heated neck/shoulder wrap since she has shoulder pain, AND a heated throw. That should keep her cozy this time around.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!