Author Topic: Healthy mustachian breakfasts  (Read 4380 times)

SimpleCycle

• Handlebar Stache
Healthy mustachian breakfasts
« on: January 17, 2019, 08:49:58 PM »
Can you share your healthy breakfast ideas?  Preferably quick and easy.  I eat a lot of oatmeal and fruit, but I think it’s too many carbs for me, especially first thing in the morning.

seemsright

• Bristles
Re: Healthy mustachian breakfasts
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2019, 09:27:05 PM »
white rice and eggs are my go to.

It could be cream of rice and eggs or cooked rice with eggs...nothing better.

Abe

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2019, 04:40:49 AM »
Omelette with spinach, bell pepper and tomato. Takes about 5 minutes to cook. I freeze the spinach and crumble it once frozen to save time chopping that, and also chop the bell pepper beforehand. That will last 3-4 days in the fridge. Tomatos get too squishy for my taste if pre-chopped.

SwitchActiveDWG

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2019, 05:09:27 AM »
Omelet with ground turkey, veggies and cheese
Plain Greek yogurt with some honey and nuts
(Almond) milk with some protein powder poured over  some kind of low cost no sugar cereal
Crispbread crackers with peanut butter and fruit

Hula Hoop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2019, 05:52:47 AM »
Homemade muesli with low fat yoghurt.

chemistk

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2019, 06:16:18 AM »
This is my daily breakfast: 1.5 cups whole grain cereal, ~1/3 cup raw old fashioned oats, 2 tablespoons natural peanut butter (the kind w/o sugar - the one you have to stir). Microwave ~45 seconds, stir, add chia or flax seeds and 1/2 cup of unsweetened almond milk ("blended almond beverage" for those of you dairy apologists out there).

My wife likes to do the overnight oats in whole milk unsweetened Greek yogurt thing.

My kids love the precooked frozen breakfast sausages, with eggs and toast.

None of our breakfasts take more than 10 minutes to prepare. Mine takes 2.

LifeHappens

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2019, 09:22:50 AM »
I often eat foods that aren't typical for breakfast in the US. An easy and cheap one is brown rice, veggies and tofu with a little soy sauce. You can prep a few days' worth if you want, or just cook up a big pot of rice and microwave everything. In hot weather I like cottage cheese with cherry tomatoes and cucumber.

wbranch

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2019, 09:41:33 AM »
Pre-diced sweet potatoes pan fried and 2-3 eggs cooked over easy in sauteed spinach. Takes <15 mins to cook for my wife and I every morning.

koshtra

• Pencil Stache
    • Mole
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2019, 10:21:29 AM »
My daily breakfast is steel-cut oats with some chopped nuts, a pint bowl of broccoli, three boiled eggs, and coffee. I have a kind of elaborate routine (I realized as I started to write it down) where I prep some things while I'm eating others, and unload the dishwasher and do a couple other little kitchen chores while the eggs are boiling. I start the oats the night before -- bring them to a boil and leave them to soak.

Mgmny

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2019, 11:30:04 AM »
4-5 hard boiled eggs. Usually less than $0.50 a breakfast (sometimes MUCH cheaper). It gets you to the 30g of protein within 30 minutes of waking up (Tim Ferriss shout out), and a perfect 300 calories for breakfast. Full of nutrition.

Bradfurd

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2019, 02:32:57 PM »
1:2 bananas to eggs ratio (I usually do 3 bananas and 6 eggs to make these last for a couple meals)
quick oats (the kind where the only ingredient is oats)
vanilla
cinnamon

Mash the bananas, add the eggs, mix together with a fork...add oats to your desired consistency, splash of vanilla extract and as much cinnamon as you are comfortable with.
Get a skillet, a splash of olive oil or butter, medium-low, cook 'em until cooked through and golden brown like pancakes.

These taste amazing and are full of healthy ingredients!

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2019, 06:22:41 PM »
Banana pancakes. You whiz eggs and bananas in a bender, then fry. Add whatever you like, I like a pinch of cinnamon. Gluten free, dairy free and good amount of protein. Wouldn't worry about the fact it's fried. You'll burn that all off during the day.

profnot

• Stubble
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2019, 09:47:32 PM »
I cook 6 - 8 hardboiled eggs at a time, shell them, put in baggie, and leave in frig.

I grab 2 for breakfast.  Sometimes I devil them with mayo and paprika. 

Fresh fruit and herb tea always added.

High protein, high fiber, good taste, no carbs or gluten.

mountain mustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2019, 08:52:40 AM »
spinach and eggs. I wilt fresh spinach in a pan with a little butter, then crack 3 eggs in. Top with cholula (or your preferred hot sauce) and done! I get eggs from a friend in town, they aren't super cheap ($3 a dozen) but organic, 8 blocks away from me, and taste insanely good. I eat this almost every day.

Hirondelle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2019, 09:03:37 AM »
Not my everyday strategy, but I do love snack-veggies with a dip for breakfast. Just get some cucumber/carrots and hummus. 0 prep time, super nutritious and rather cheap.

tralfamadorian

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2019, 09:18:26 AM »
I usually do grits but since you said you wanted to avoid carbs, I haven't seen greek yogurt mentioned yet. I typically add a spoonful of honey and some berries, if they are in season.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2019, 09:23:33 AM »
Mine: 2 scrambled eggs cooked in ghee with some sausage mixed in. (I cook 1/2 lb of sausage once per week, pretty quick, and make the ghee when it runs out, every 2 weeks or so). Then I top with frank's hot sauce.
Husband: 2 eggs as an omlette, and he adds some chopped spinach and feta cheese.

Both are super quick. Usually I do morning stuff with the puppy (computer time if she's sleepy and plan out our day, play with her and so forth if she's being hyper). Really doesn't take too long.

If I know I'll have an incredibly rushed morning, I'll do some overnight "oats"- which in my case are minimally oats, since I also do better minimizing carbs. So I'll do, into a mason jar, ~1/4-1/3 cup rolled oats, ~2 Tbsp chia seeds, ~1 Tbsp hemp hearts, ~1/4c slivered almonds, a good shake coconut flakes, some salt and some cinnamon. Then I add some non dairy yogurt (if I have it on hand), a splash of maple syrup, and some coconut/almond blend (unsweetened). When I eat, I add frozen fruit. This obviously isn't the cheapest option, but it's really filling and high fiber and nutritious. And best of all, FAST. If you want oatmeal like options that aren't high in carbs, you can look up "n'oatmeal" recipes, or "paleo oatmeal", that sort of thing.

Threshkin

• Handlebar Stache
    • My Journal
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2019, 10:33:20 AM »
I definitely don't eat the same thing for breakfast every day but have adopted a few basic rules.

• Fiber is your friend
  • Sugar is not your friend
  • Protein is good
  • Carbs are not evil (the right carbs)

A typical breakfast (I had this today) is 1/2 cup of cooked oatmeal with the following additives:  1 egg, 1/4 cup diced precooked sweet potatoes, 1/4 cup protein (meat of some kind, today it was leftover curry chicken), all pan scrambled together.  This is a good basic breakfast that takes 10 minutes or less to prepare.

To jazz it up I also mix in to taste some Chinese style condiments I love that we make at home.  Thin sliced preserved Fresh Ginger and Raw Peanuts.  These are packed into individual jars and then filled with Chinese vinegar (regular vinegar also works but the Chinese style has more flavor).  Stored them in the refrigerator for at least a couple of weeks before using.  They will keep for a very long time.  They add a delicious acidity kick to the meal.

Many people do not eat anywhere near enough fiber daily.  This has long term negative effects on your gut bacteria.  Without a healthy gut it is hard to get proper nutrition or loose weight.

Sugar is best avoided when you can.  It is all too easy to get it in unexpected foods, especially prepared foods or ingredients.  A sweet breakfast will give you an initial (sugar) rush but will drop you like a rock an hour or two later.  A fiber an protein breakfast will leave you feeling full and satisfied for a long time.

LWYRUP

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2019, 10:46:47 AM »

Base is 2-3 eggs, sometimes scrambled sometimes fried.
Sometimes canadian bacon on the side (healthier than normal bacon or sausage but cheaper than turkey bacon and better tasting IMO).
Random veggies (pepper, broccoli, spinach), cooked up next to the eggs (too lazy to omelette them together). 
Norweigan crisp bread.

On the weekends, Kodiak Cake pancakes (special mix with more protein less carbs -- can get in bulk from Costco) at least one day.  Maybe smoked salmon (that's not mustachian) or sausage (that's not healthy) as a treat.

I've tried the steel cut oats thing and the yogurt / granola thing from time to time but it's never really stuck. 

I want to go to the gym in the morning more so I may need to think of snappier alternatives. 

Budgie

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2019, 09:03:52 PM »
Banana pancakes. You whiz eggs and bananas in a bender, then fry. Add whatever you like, I like a pinch of cinnamon. Gluten free, dairy free and good amount of protein. Wouldn't worry about the fact it's fried. You'll burn that all off during the day.

Wow, I rarely run across anything that sounds tempting enough to get me away from my plain greek yogurt and homemade granola breakfasts, but this sounds great. Thanks for the idea!

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2019, 09:16:49 PM »
My default is overnight oats-

1/2 cup rolled oats
small amount of steel cut thrown in for some different texture
1/2 cup vanilla yogurt
1/2 cup milk
1Tbsp chia seeds
1/2 banana (mashed up or sliced really thin)

Then either a generous dose of blueberries or some maple syrup.

Adam Zapple

• Bristles
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2019, 05:29:11 AM »
1:2 bananas to eggs ratio (I usually do 3 bananas and 6 eggs to make these last for a couple meals)
vanilla
cinnamon

Mash the bananas, add the eggs, mix together with a fork...add oats to your desired consistency, splash of vanilla extract and as much cinnamon as you are comfortable with.
Get a skillet, a splash of olive oil or butter, medium-low, cook 'em until cooked through and golden brown like pancakes.

Wow these sound great!  Can't wait to try.

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2019, 08:04:19 AM »
vanilla
cinnamon

I'm thinking of trying to bake eggs in muffin tins anyway (b/c I'm supposed to cut down on fat and normally I scramble eggs).  This banana/eggs combo sounds weird, but intriguing.

Do you think it would work the same baked into a sort of muffin thingie?

SimpleCycle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2019, 08:51:40 AM »
vanilla
cinnamon

I'm thinking of trying to bake eggs in muffin tins anyway (b/c I'm supposed to cut down on fat and normally I scramble eggs).  This banana/eggs combo sounds weird, but intriguing.

I made them yesterday and they worked great as pancakes, but I don't think they'd do well baked in muffin tins.  I think they would be too dense.

Maybe you could cook them like pancakes in a non-stick pan without oil or butter?

SimpleCycle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2019, 08:53:42 AM »
vanilla
cinnamon

I made these yesterday!  I used old fashioned oats whizzed in the blender, and used 1/3 cup for 1 banana and 2 eggs.  My kids loved them and so did I.

jojoguy

• Bristles
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2019, 09:56:25 AM »
12 egg cheese omlet. High protein and virtually no carbs. Great for KETO diet.

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2019, 10:46:10 AM »
Was the omelet just for you?  If so, that's amazing.  I can't fathom eating 12 eggs in one sitting, let alone with added cheese.

tralfamadorian

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2019, 11:57:39 AM »
Was the omelet just for you?  If so, that's amazing.  I can't fathom eating 12 eggs in one sitting, let alone with added cheese.

Indeed. That's ~925 calories just for the eggs. o_O

Free Spirit

• Stubble
  • Be water, my friend.
« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2019, 12:15:36 PM »

Wow, I rarely run across anything that sounds tempting enough to get me away from my plain greek yogurt and homemade granola breakfasts, but this sounds great. Thanks for the idea!

I love these! Another variation is to just make an omlette filled with bananas (and cinnamon if you like!) it's good when I want a bigger protein to carb ratio (maple syrup doesn't count, right?)

Bradfurd

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2019, 08:16:55 AM »
vanilla
cinnamon

I made them yesterday and they worked great as pancakes, but I don't think they'd do well baked in muffin tins.  I think they would be too dense.

Maybe you could cook them like pancakes in a non-stick pan without oil or butter?

I forgot to mention that my kids love them as well...just one more reason they're so great. I'm glad you all are trying them. It's a variation based on a few different recipes I discovered.

I haven't tried baking them, but in a pan with almost zero oil or butter just makes them seem more toasted rather than equipped with golden crispy edges. They are still decent, just not as decadent without the fat splash.

chaskavitch

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2019, 08:40:50 AM »
vanilla
cinnamon

I forgot to mention that my kids love them as well...just one more reason they're so great. I'm glad you all are trying them. It's a variation based on a few different recipes I discovered.

I haven't tried baking them, but in a pan with almost zero oil or butter just makes them seem more toasted rather than equipped with golden crispy edges. They are still decent, just not as decadent without the fat splash.

I'm so glad I'm not the only person who loves this for breakfast :)  I make mine without the oats, but I also cook it with coconut oil in the pan for some added sweetness and put a pat of butter on top.  My toddler loves to help make them (cracks the eggs and mixes in the mashed up bananas), but he always asks for syrup with his. 

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2019, 08:46:07 AM »
I'm a fan of the traditional mustachian oatmeal and sadness breakfast.  It's healthy, has a good quantity of protein, and a lot of fiber.

What exactly is the concern with carbs in oatmeal coming from?

Schaefer Light

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2019, 09:08:41 AM »
3 eggs and a bowl of oatmeal is what I eat just about every day.  Sometimes I just eat 2 eggs if I'm not as hungry.  I can't imagine a much cheaper breakfast than that.

chaskavitch

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2019, 09:14:39 AM »
I'm a fan of the traditional mustachian oatmeal and sadness breakfast.  It's healthy, has a good quantity of protein, and a lot of fiber.

I personally don't like the texture of oats in my banana pancakes, I'm not avoiding oats or carbs specifically.  I make overnight oats for when I go to work, with a little protein powder, fruit, milk, and homemade yogurt, and when I'm at home and I don't eat banana pancakes, it's usually eggs with cheese/veggies or oatmeal with frozen fruit.  Sometimes yogurt with fruit and oats mixed in.  I do stay more satisfied for longer if I have protein in my breakfast, though.

frugaliknowit

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2019, 09:19:19 AM »
Can you share your healthy breakfast ideas?  Preferably quick and easy.  I eat a lot of oatmeal and fruit, but I think it’s too many carbs for me, especially first thing in the morning.

If you just take what you're eating now and add eggs and or egg whites, you've got a power breakfast.

momcpa

• Stubble
« Reply #35 on: January 24, 2019, 08:50:53 PM »
I've made a variation of the 'pancake'.  In my Magic Bullet blender, I add one or two eggs, 1/2 cup cottage cheese, 1/2 cup quick cooking oatmeal, a splash of vanilla and cinnamon.

I haven't had this for awhile and it sounds pretty good right now.

patrickza

• Pencil Stache
    • I live on a boat
« Reply #36 on: January 25, 2019, 03:00:05 AM »
I personally think the healthiest breakfast is a breakfast skipped, but I'm an intermittent faster...

Otherwise it's pretty hard to beat a good omelet in terms of health/taste/cost!

patchyfacialhair

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #37 on: January 25, 2019, 08:36:53 AM »
I make "egg cups" over the weekend and freeze them.

I use a big muffin pan (24 muffins)

Spray each cup with cooking spray.

Place a single slice of whatever meat you choose (I've used rotissierie chicken, sliced ham, capicola, chorizo, whatever you like) into each cup.

Put an ounce of shredded cheese into each cup.

Crack an egg into each cup. Season with salt and pepper (I usually leave off the salt though cause there's enough in the meat usually for me)

Bake at 400 for 10-12 minutes

Let cool, freeze for later use.

In the morning I pop two egg cups into the microwave for 3 minutes 30 seconds in my 1000w microwave.

This allows me to feed the kiddo breakfast and pack lunches for me, wife, and kid while the breakfast is heating up.

Then I grab a fork and knife and dig in!

11ducks

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #38 on: January 25, 2019, 05:13:35 PM »

Haha, oatmeal and sadness. I'm trying to cut weight (bf%) at the moment, and have definitely noticed this taste to some of my meals!

HipGnosis

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #39 on: January 26, 2019, 11:12:44 AM »
A 1/4 cup of dry oatmeal has 27 gr of carbs. 

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #40 on: January 26, 2019, 01:41:39 PM »

Low GI carbs, that also come with a good mix of soluble fiber, roughage, antioxidants, loads of minerals and protein.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #41 on: January 27, 2019, 12:14:42 PM »

Low GI carbs, that also come with a good mix of soluble fiber, roughage, antioxidants, loads of minerals and protein.

Yeah.  That was kinda my argument.

Carbs have recently been demonized, but they're not all created equal.  Oatmeal, fruit, vegetables, legumes . . . all chock full of carbs.  All great to have as part of your diet.  It seems like far too many people are equating these carbs with those in twinkies, chocolate cake, potato chips, and soda pop.  There are a plethora of fad diets that have sprung up preaching this silly gospel.

Absolutely avoid crap foods . . . but don't mistakenly think that carb free = crap free.

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #42 on: January 27, 2019, 02:16:13 PM »

Yeah.  That was kinda my argument.

Carbs have recently been demonized, but they're not all created equal.  Oatmeal, fruit, vegetables, legumes . . . all chock full of carbs.  All great to have as part of your diet.  It seems like far too many people are equating these carbs with those in twinkies, chocolate cake, potato chips, and soda pop.  There are a plethora of fad diets that have sprung up preaching this silly gospel.

Absolutely avoid crap foods . . . but don't mistakenly think that carb free = crap free.

Totally agree. And I find the same mindset with 'fruit sugars'. While fruit has become sweeter and sweeter due to selective genetics, to the point that animals with fruit based diets are now becoming fat in zoos, fruit sugars come with so many other beneficial ingredients that it's not worth cutting it out of your diet. Some fruits are better than others, though, just like some carbs are better than others. And fruit juice doesn't count as fruit!

kpd905

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #43 on: January 27, 2019, 02:38:24 PM »
I tend to make a batch of overnight oats every night so I don't have to think or function in the morning.

I do

1 cup of old fashioned oats
1 cup almond milk
handful of frozen blueberries
~1 tbsp of chia seeds

Then in the morning I stir in a spoonful of almond butter and add one sliced banana.