Author Topic: Healthcare for a new resident with cancer...  (Read 3091 times)

Radioherd88

• Stubble
Healthcare for a new resident with cancer...
« on: February 25, 2019, 11:52:30 AM »
Hi All,

This is going to be a very specific question - i'm hoping someone has some experience with either part of this:

My father is applying for residency in the US (Currently a UK resident) - he has cancer, and needs to take 40mg of afatnib (gilotrif) each day.  Doing some research into how much that will cost to get over here it's running around $5k a month (vs $0 a month in the UK on the National Health Service).

Does anyone have experience with finding a health insurance plan for someone not yet a US resident and has cancer?

Does anyone know how we can source this prescription drug for less than 60k a year?

Thanks!

Mrs Brightside

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • What one fool can do, another can.
Re: Healthcare for a new resident with cancer...
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2019, 04:44:44 PM »
No personal experience, but it looks like anyone in the US legally, even recent immigrants, can get an ACA plan and subsidy depending on income. https://www.healthinsurance.org/obamacare/how-immigrants-are-getting-health-coverage/

If that fails the manufacturer usually has a patient assistance program for people who can’t afford their medication. It may be limited to US residents, I don’t know.

frugaldrummer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2019, 10:39:57 PM »
Why on earth would he leave the U.K. health system if he has cancer????
Oral cancer drugs often fall into a loophole where they are not covered well (while IV chemo is).  Plus he'll still be responsible for thousands in coasts for his healthcare and over $10,000 a year in insurance premiums.

Our system sucks. Medical debt is the biggest cause of bankruptcy in the US.

Radioherd88

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2020, 09:57:21 PM »
Why on earth would he leave the U.K. health system if he has cancer????
Oral cancer drugs often fall into a loophole where they are not covered well (while IV chemo is).  Plus he'll still be responsible for thousands in coasts for his healthcare and over $10,000 a year in insurance premiums.

Our system sucks. Medical debt is the biggest cause of bankruptcy in the US.

Because he has a grandson over here, and it rains in the UK every day......

And yes because we are thinking he can get the oral chemo drug covered, but if not, then likely not viable....

jim555

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2020, 01:59:49 AM »
Just be aware of the new public charge rule.  Federally funded Medicaid recipients who are seeking immigration can be made inadmissible on self-sufficiency grounds.

Radioherd88

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2020, 08:39:56 PM »
Just be aware of the new public charge rule.  Federally funded Medicaid recipients who are seeking immigration can be made inadmissible on self-sufficiency grounds.

Tell me more - i don't believe he is eligible for medicaid anyway, but assuming he was, what is the rule?

jim555

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2020, 04:33:54 AM »

Tell me more - i don't believe he is eligible for medicaid anyway, but assuming he was, what is the rule?
https://www.uscis.gov/greencard/public-charge

Radioherd88

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2020, 08:49:10 PM »

https://www.uscis.gov/greencard/public-charge

Yeah - it's kind of a catch 22 - he won't be a public charge if he gets private health insurance, but he can't get that without a social, and you can't get a social without a green card/visa!