Author Topic: Health Insurance or Medicaid Share of Cost?  (Read 1815 times)

Ives

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Health Insurance or Medicaid Share of Cost?
« on: November 26, 2018, 10:53:19 AM »
My Marketplace insurance is ending this year because now we make too much.  I was going to get in one of those Christian cost sharing programs.  But a friend recently told me she hasn't had insurance in 10 years and if something big happens (she was in the hospital, $10,000) if you have kids (I do) you can get Medicaid Share of Cost and it covers the whole bill over a certain amount, so good for huge unexpected things?  I don't have any medical problems.  Anyone else do this? 

frugaldrummer

• Pencil Stache
Re: Health Insurance or Medicaid Share of Cost?
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2018, 12:06:56 AM »
If you make too much for a subsidy pretty sure you wouldn't qualify for Medicaid either ( from my reading sounds like that program is for low income people who have too many assets to qualify for regular Medicaid).

seattlecyclone

• Walrus Stache
    • My blog
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2018, 12:13:02 AM »
Nothing stopping you from sticking with your same Marketplace plan next year, you'll just have to pay the full premium yourself.

If your state expanded Medicaid you can get on that up to 133% of the poverty line, while subsidized Marketplace plans are available up to 400% of the poverty line, and unsubsidized plans are available above that.

I've never heard of a "Medicaid Share of Cost" plan that you can sign up for as a higher-income individual with children. I believe your friend may be misinformed.

Ives

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2019, 11:20:46 AM »
I'm now reconsidering this again!  I just talked to my friend again, and her husband makes at least $100,000 a year.  She is pregnant and qualified for Medicaid Share of Cost and won't have to pay anything for the c-section and entire birth because it will be over her $6000 minimum.  She also had it for the last pregnancy 10 years ago and a separate hospital stay for another reason, years ago.  All the while, her husband making $65,000 upwards.  Anyone know about this? Sounds like I don't need health insurance to protect against major medical incidents. The one I'm looking at has a $6500 deductible, but with this Share of Cost she has, if it's over 6,000, she pays nothing.

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache