Author Topic: Health insurance - options?  (Read 2096 times)

netskyblue

• Pencil Stache
Health insurance - options?
« on: April 09, 2018, 08:39:55 PM »
So my significant other (not married) left his job in January to pursue an entrepreneurial venture, which was something of a leap of faith at the time, and has just started bringing in around $400/month. His health insurance ended after he left, and not knowing if or when he would earn income, he decided not to buy health insurance. Well, now he's having gastrointestinal problems and won't go to a doctor because he doesn't have health insurance. I'm guessing he can't buy insurance at this time of year? What options are there for him?

And that's a STUPID law, we'll penalize you for every month you don't have insurance, but neither will we let you BUY it except for once a year...

MayDay

• Magnum Stache
Re: Health insurance - options?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2018, 06:41:04 AM »
The reason they won't let him buy it now is exactly why he wants to buy it now.

If we let people skip insurance until they were sick, you wouldn't have healthy people subsidizing the sick. Insurance already costs a lot,can you imagine the cost if only sick people signed up?

I don't know if there is a way to get it now. Do you have insurance through your job that you can add him to?

slappy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2018, 07:55:52 AM »
I think the question is less of how can he get insurance now and more of what is the most cost effective way for him to get treatment. There was a thread on this not too long ago, which ended up getting locked because people were focused on berating the OP for not having insurance.

netskyblue

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2018, 08:12:25 AM »
I don't know if there is a way to get it now. Do you have insurance through your job that you can add him to?

I don't, I can't add anyone I'm not married to.

I understand the need for insurance before you get sick...it's just not possible to *buy* it with no employment and no income.  This is the first month since January that he's had any income.

JJ-

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2018, 08:25:16 AM »
You've missed the QLE window, but if you're really worried about costs tallied up past a doctor's visit OOP (~$200+ tests), he qualifies for COBRA and can pay to continue his old coverage for another few months I think. Be warned he has to pay his share AND the employer share so it is pricey. It also is retroactive so you can wait til you need it in this scenario.

Raenia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2018, 08:28:02 AM »
This may not be possible in your situation, but could you get married?  A day at the courthouse, a <$100 license, and then you can add him to your insurance.  Obviously there could be all sorts of reasons that's not feasible, but could be worth considering.

netskyblue

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2018, 08:35:36 AM »
This may not be possible in your situation, but could you get married?  A day at the courthouse, a <$100 license, and then you can add him to your insurance.  Obviously there could be all sorts of reasons that's not feasible, but could be worth considering.

Other than the fact that we don't want to be married? lol

I get what you're saying, but getting married now, when we haven't got solid footing, would be a terrible idea.

Raenia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2018, 08:43:36 AM »

Other than the fact that we don't want to be married? lol

I get what you're saying, but getting married now, when we haven't got solid footing, would be a terrible idea.

That is in fact a good enough reason, not that you need my permission!  Just suggesting all the options.  There's really no other way to get health insurance mid-year, other than a qualifying event (marriage, birth of a child, etc), losing a job, or getting a new job.  Given that those aren't possible, the question becomes how to get him seen by a doctor for a reasonable cost without insurance, which is difficult but not impossible.

Urgent care centers tend to be less expensive than hospitals or doctor's offices, but they may not have the right resources depending on what the problem is.  Have him call a few places, both urgent care and primary care providers, and ask about their prices  Make sure they know he doesn't have insurance and is paying out of pocket, and ask about payment options.

thingamabobs

• Stubble
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2018, 10:09:02 AM »
Apply for Medicaid. You say he only makes $400/month.

But I would get seen by a physician now, urgent care may be a good start if he doesn’t have a primary care physician. That way if any tests are needed, they can be scheduled as he waits for Medicaid to come thru. Someone told me that Medicaid will cover retroactively for 3 months, not sure if that’s state dependent.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2018, 10:12:05 AM by thingamabobs »

Trying2bFrugal

• Stubble
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2018, 11:03:11 AM »
There is something called Special enrollment period.

New borns, Job change, new job, kids returning home from college, people getting married, divorced, Prime hold deceased, etc are some of the exemptions when that will kick in.

If he changes job with employer providing option, he can get health insurance. Otherwise, hospitals will be happy to work with you if you tell them that you dont have insurance. 

Dan, you should get the lowest HMO plan at least to have coverage after 40. This damn country never appreciate alternative medicines.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!