Author Topic: Health Insurance Help for Disabled Relative  (Read 2601 times)

MFG_Hotspur

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Health Insurance Help for Disabled Relative
« on: December 27, 2017, 09:15:53 AM »
I am trying to navigate the complicated world of health insurance for my disabled mother-in-law and brother-in-law and would appreciate anyone's help here.

The situation:

• My MIL and BIL currently get health insurance through my FIL, but that will end in August 2018 when he retires (they divorced ~2 years ago).
  • My MIL currently collects SSDI for a disability and lives in Massachusetts. She is also taking care of my BIL who has Autism and in his mid 20s. My wife is already the legal guardian of her brother since we will be taking care of him longer term. My BIL collects SSI.
  • They will be moving within 30 minutes of where my wife and I live in Denver in October 2018 (when their current lease is up).
  • They both have substantial recurring medical expenses
  • When they move to Colorado, I think we can add my BIL to my insurance through work as long as he is an dependent, but it would be harder to claim my MIL as a dependent

I'm trying to figure out what our options are. Would it be better to move to Denver in August so we don't have to navigate this situation in 2 different states (this would potentially result in losing 2 months rent for their house in Massachusetts)? Any recommendations for what to do here or any resources I can use to help figure out what to do? I wasn't able to find many helpful resources on my own.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
Re: Health Insurance Help for Disabled Relative
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2017, 11:50:47 AM »
I could be wrong, but I thought that if you were getting SSDI you were automatically eligible for Medicare. I'd check if they can get Medicare, and if so what needs to happen for them to enroll.

CindyBS

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2017, 01:08:11 PM »
I would think the brother would be eligible for Medicaid, probably based on disability.

Also look into these things called Waivers.

My advice is to call a local place that diagnosis people with Autism.  Like our major hospital in town has a center for Autism that is staffed with all sorts of professionals.  Then ask a social worker there to direct you to resources. 

Autism speaks may have some information.  I have gotten a lot of packets and information for my son with Autism, but since he will most likely live independently and is still a minor, I didn't really investigate.  The fact your BIL needs a legal guardian tells me he is probably low functioning.  From what I understand, at least in my state, most of people in that situation are on Medicaid. 

Another option is to contact your BIL's psychologist and have him/her make a recommendation for a social worker or someone local who knows the ropes. 

CindyBS

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2017, 01:11:52 PM »
A quick google search came up with this group.  https://www.autismcolorado.org/

I'm not sure if that is close to you, but something like that is what I had in mind. 

MFG_Hotspur

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2018, 09:49:55 AM »
Thanks for the help! It sounds like the best bet is to talk with with Medicare and Medicaid resources in both states and figure it out from there.

I will also look into what their current health insurance costs are to figure out how things will change when they lose insurance in August.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2018, 11:51:18 AM »
Also note that it's possible to be eligible for BOTH Medicare and Medicaid.  It can make paperwork a pain (unless you're in one of the states trying a combined program out), but is advantageous in a lot of ways since they sometimes cover different things.

Dr Kidstache

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2018, 04:58:04 AM »
I could be wrong, but I thought that if you were getting SSDI you were automatically eligible for Medicare. I'd check if they can get Medicare, and if so what needs to happen for them to enroll.

Sibley's right about SSDI. SSDI beneficiaries are automatically enrolled in Medicare after 24 months of benefits. The SSA also screens initial SSDI approvals for financial eligibility for SSI/Medicaid so she may not have qualified for that. Medicaid eligibility criteria differ from state to state so your MIL or BIL may be eligible in Colorado even if they weren't in their home state. Good luck!

chloes1

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2018, 08:33:10 AM »
I currently live on SSDI because of my Rheumatoid Arthritis.

My recurring medical expenses, mostly for Rx's, are astronomical! This past year it was right around 50k.  For me it made more sense to enroll in a Medicare+ plan that at least pays more (and for more types of care) for the care I already receive.  I too am eligible for Medicaid and it caps my co pays for Rx's, otherwise I would likely be in a nursing home.

So, OP, once your in laws move apply for Medicaid to see if that will help with the costs.