Author Topic: health insurance for frequent traveler with non-US job  (Read 3641 times)

neighbor

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
health insurance for frequent traveler with non-US job
« on: July 25, 2014, 01:16:27 PM »
My husband, a US citizen, will change his employment status with his current employer so that he is no longer insured (with insurance that is only good in the European country we're moving out of, anyway) but will still need to prove he's got coverage when he's overseas for the next 304 months. He'll be doing research in China with time to be spent in the US (where I'll be).

Would any of you fine mustachians have recommendations for "travel" health insurance (that at least can fulfill the requirement and cover catastrophic problems) that won't cost an arm and a leg? In about 3 or 4 months he'll have China-based coverage from a new employer but that still leaves a gap when he's in the US. Not knowing ins and outs of the new health insurance rules, will he be required to have coverage when he's in the US when, say, he's on the China-only plan?

Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

FrugalZony

• Handlebar Stache
Re: health insurance for frequent traveler with non-US job
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2014, 06:00:29 PM »
It would probably help, which European country you are talking about.
There are plans you have to sign up for, while still a resident in a certain country, before you move overseas.
They may not be available everywhere.

neighbor

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2014, 02:33:57 AM »
Germany.

but I left it out because the German job will end in the next few months and it seems less… useful or relevant to pick a company here. Our upcoming home "bases" will be China and the US.

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2014, 03:59:45 AM »
Whatever your husband's need to "prove" he's got health insurance which covers him in the USA, it would be a big risk for him not to have it.

While you are still resident in Germany, you may be able to get travel/health insurance for your husband as a German resident travelling to the USA, to cover his 3/4 months in the USA before going to China.  You would need to check carefully that the insurance would be valid even though he is not intending to come back to Germany to continue his residence there.  Try asking a travel agent as a starting point.

After that, if his China insurance only covers China and his official place of residence is China, he should be able to pay privately for China-based insurance which would cover his travel to the USA.  If his official permanent residence is in the USA, could you add him to the health insurance you will have for yourself in the USA?

neighbor

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2014, 08:29:20 AM »
As soon as I land in the US, I'll be looking into what's required for all of us now that ACA is in effect and I don't have a clue. The thing is, DH's time in the US will be very limited for some time - so to pay monthly for something he will NOT use for months and months in the off chance he needs it for the 2 weeks he's home is…. offputting.

Does anyone have experience with US-based travel insurance? Because my German is so poor I have qualms about signing up for something here (language woes are mitigated when I can go into an office and talk to a real human rather than trying to rely on contract legalese and telephoning… when we leave, my best option is irrelevant).

Any FI world travelers here know of good deals for other not-yet FI travelers working with limited means and challenging globalization?

FrugalZony

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2014, 10:15:02 AM »
I have a German friend, who has been living in the US for a couple years
She has insurance from Germany with Hanse Merkur
They have a policy covering various other countries (you'll have to inquire if applicable in your case)
You can only sign up with them, while still in Germany before you leave, there's certain number of day requirement
Coverage can be taken for as little as two weeks, or a max of several years.
She's had to see doctors here in the US and is quite happy with her coverage
I can try and find out more if you like, or you can just go on the Hanse Merkur website and see what policies they have

I have had long term travel policies, while living in China, I need to see, which company I used and which countries they cover,
but I'll have to go dig a bit, as that has been years ago!
« Last Edit: July 26, 2014, 10:16:54 AM by FrugalZony »

FrugalZony

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2014, 11:12:10 AM »
I just sent you a pm with the links to what I used while living in China, hope that helps

neighbor

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2014, 07:50:24 AM »
and I just pm'd you back! Thanks for the suggestions - I'm glad to have somewhere to start!