Author Topic: Health Insurance Advice  (Read 1817 times)

Bones81

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Health Insurance Advice
« on: October 20, 2017, 02:46:21 PM »
Signing up for benefits at work and we're offered identical plans from United Healthcare and Cigna. Presently I'm on United.

I had United Healthcare at a previous employer that i left earlier this year and claimed a large amount of therapy/analysis for over a year before they finally cut me off. Honestly I'm amazed they paid out what they did for so long and I'm in the process of appealing the claims that they denied. 

I got a new member ID and group at United when I started the new job. I'm wondering if because of that, would they be willing to play for therapy again or am I still  on file  and cutoff?

Given United has paid out in the past, I'm hesitant to switch but if they're done paying regardless of what employer I'm insured with, then I should switch to Cigna and try to get them to pay.

Any help would be appreciated.

cantgrowone

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Health Insurance Advice
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2017, 02:58:23 PM »
It's worth making a phone call to United to see if they would pay. I hate calling health insurance because everything is very vague and it's hard to get a specific question answered about money.

Definitely call United if you are on their plan before you change to Cigna.

pecunia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2017, 07:14:09 PM »
Question off to the side:

I hate calling health insurance because everything is very vague and it's hard to get a specific question answered about money.

Isn't that the basis of their business to pay out legitimate claims?

Here's the question.  Would it be easier to deal with Uncle Sam if he provided the health care?  (I think there would be firm definition and the answers would be there.)

I pay a big premium every month and have no idea where it goes.  Maybe the CEO's yacht needs fuel.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2017, 07:45:14 PM »
Question off to the side:

I hate calling health insurance because everything is very vague and it's hard to get a specific question answered about money.

Isn't that the basis of their business to pay out legitimate claims?

Here's the question.  Would it be easier to deal with Uncle Sam if he provided the health care?  (I think there would be firm definition and the answers would be there.)

I pay a big premium every month and have no idea where it goes.  Maybe the CEO's yacht needs fuel.

This graphic looks pretty accurate to me for commercial plans, like what your employer would provide (professional experience). No comment on the system as a whole however.
https://www.ahip.org/health-care-dollar/

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!