Author Topic: Headphone recs?  (Read 2727 times)

Rylito

• Stubble
Headphone recs?
« on: August 15, 2018, 06:50:28 PM »
I just switched offices and the new place is semi-open concept, with hard floor surfaces and also more street noise than my last office.  I'm going to want to escape the noise and listen to a lot more music when I'm at my computer. 

I have some wired earbuds that I used to use for listening to music on my computer (a PC) and my old phone, but coincidentally I also just switched to an iPhone 7 last week so lost the headphone jack.  I'm a bike commuter so I'm also looking for something very small.  What are your recommendations on wireless headphones that aren't crazy-Beats-expensive? 

MrsDinero

• Pencil Stache
Re: Headphone recs?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2018, 07:04:47 PM »
These aren't small but they are fantastic.  I bought a pair in November and use them several times a week.  I even use them when I am working out. They block the noise pretty well on airplanes and have good sound.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B019ER3AGA/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&th=1

Ecky

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2018, 04:57:21 AM »
Headphones that press onto my ears give me an ear ache, so those linked above wouldn't work for me personally. OP, anything like that we need to be aware of?

Bluetooth headphones bother me, because it's often not possible to get through a day of using them without the battery running down. At least, that's true of the ones I'd used in the past. If you're only going to use them for 30 minutes here and 15 minutes there, they're probably a fine choice.

nkt0

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2018, 05:48:48 AM »
Many people like the AirPods and they are super nice but you will get face punched by the mustachians.

MrOnyx

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2018, 06:11:17 AM »
Many people like the AirPods and they are super nice but you will get face punched by the mustachians.

Agreed. Especially as a Brit myself, where they didn't actually bother to adjust the price of their AirPods to match currency exchange rates. Whatever the dollar amount to buy them brand new was at the time, was the same price they were in GBP. Pretty ridiculous. I know the pound is dropping, but it hasn't reached parity yet.

So basically if you live in the UK, you pay a higher price (by value of currency) for the same product. Nope.

In answer to OP's post, I personally stick by Sennheiser. They're great headphones at a decent enough price IMO. Currently using an over-ear pair I bought for £70 a year or so ago. They're comfy (if a bit loose), sound great and they do a good job at isolating noise.

Cromacster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2018, 06:37:55 AM »
I use these for my desk and for travel.  My friend claims they are the white box version of the Bose headphones that you see everyone on planes with, but these are 60-70$ not 300.  I've had good experiences with them.  They hold up well to abuse during travel and the battery lats 20+ hrs.  Not as long with noise cancelling on, but I used them 10+ hrs in a day with noise cancelling on for most of it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075CBHN9M/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

For working out or more active stuff I use these.  They fit my ears good and battery lasts around 8 hrs.  They do eventually die to my sweat, as all in ear headphones do, but for 25$ it's not a crazy price.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N6DC2ZE/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2018, 06:40:42 AM »
I spent $250 on a pair of Sony MDR-1000X headphones a few years ago and love them. Amazing sound quality and noise cancelling.

I've probably worn them 5000 hours at this point.

Rylito

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2018, 11:18:29 PM »
Headphones that press onto my ears give me an ear ache, so those linked above wouldn't work for me personally. OP, anything like that we need to be aware of?

Bluetooth headphones bother me, because it's often not possible to get through a day of using them without the battery running down. At least, that's true of the ones I'd used in the past. If you're only going to use them for 30 minutes here and 15 minutes there, they're probably a fine choice.

I hadn't thought about comfort, but now that you mention it I have an orbital piercing near the top of my ear that wouldn't feel great being pressed against my skull.  Plus the over ear phones are way too big.  I'd prefer ones I could put in my pocket.

Rylito

• Stubble
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2018, 11:29:23 PM »

For working out or more active stuff I use these.  They fit my ears good and battery lasts around 8 hrs.  They do eventually die to my sweat, as all in ear headphones do, but for 25$ it's not a crazy price.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N6DC2ZE/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks, these look like a good option.

Rylito

• Stubble
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2018, 11:33:08 PM »

I just priced out the Airpods and....I would facepunch myself if I got those ;-)

Rcc

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2018, 09:29:56 AM »
I'd been using a set of Jabra BT behind the ears for the last .. 10 years or so. Decided to replace them as I was burning through speaker foam yearly and with their size I looked like Lobot (you must be ->this<- old to get the reference)

Wife and I both picked up and enjoy these:

Bluetooth Headphones, Soundcore Spirit X Wireless Headset Anker Bluetooth 5.0, 12-Hour Battery, IPX7 Waterproof, SweatGuard Technology,Earbuds Mic,Secure Fit Sport Workouts

eca_mmm

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2018, 09:36:28 PM »
I'll take a face punch, I don't care--I'm going to go against the grain here and recommend the Apple Airpods. BTW at the moment you can get them at a slight discount on amazon for about $15 less otd than the Apple store ($157.30 total vs $172.52 from Apple).

I'm not one to usually spend money on stuff like this and really thought about it about a year before i actually bought them, but I have no regrets here. The way i see it, the wired headphones were always shorting out on me after extensive wear, especially with any physical activity like biking or snowboarding. Without wires, this isn't an issue. I always like to have headphones on me and these have simplified my life without sacrificing too much audio quality--especially for ear buds. The microphone works flawlessly for phone calls, even conference calls for work. Plus, i found the design to be pretty remarkable. I believe they have about 5 hours of listening time on a single charge, but the tiny case you store them in is a battery itself that holds several more charges at about 15 minutes for a full charge.

MrsDinero

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2018, 07:38:04 AM »

I hadn't thought about comfort, but now that you mention it I have an orbital piercing near the top of my ear that wouldn't feel great being pressed against my skull.  Plus the over ear phones are way too big.  I'd prefer ones I could put in my pocket.

I never thought about the other way.  I like the over the ear headphones because I have a small ear canal and most earbuds don't fit me.  Some will literally fall out or leave me with ear pain.  These over the ear ones are very comfortable and I can wear for hours at a time (without earrings of course).

AccidentialMustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2018, 08:22:37 AM »
Rather than very small, why not just carry them to work once, sharpie your name on them, and leave them there?

I'm a circumaural headphone type (over the ear, padding rests on hair/skull). I have a tough time finding ones big enough for my thick skull and large ears. I was in a best buy of all places (had a gift card to spend) yesterday and discovered that the razer kraken pro v2 headphones were actually really nice. More than big enough for my head (unusual by itself) or ears, very comfortable and not that heavy. Sure they're big. So what? Take them to the office and leave them there. At least in the states, bicyclists are not allowed to wear headphones and even if the UK doesn't care, you shouldn't. You need to be able to hear to maximize staying safe on a bike.

Despite being Razer brand, they were only $60 which is pretty reasonable compared to the other options.