Author Topic: Hawaii HSA-compatible health insurance?  (Read 3453 times)

rickhuizinga

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Hawaii HSA-compatible health insurance?
« on: March 19, 2016, 02:33:54 AM »
I just moved to Hawaii and was shopping for health insurance, but was unable to find an individual health insurance policy that is HSA-compatible.  Healthcare.gov only lists plans from Kaiser Permanente and HMSA. Neither offer a HSA-compatible plan. Can anyone recommend a HSA-compatible health insurance plan in Hawaii?

Secondary question: Assuming that an HSA-compatible plan is not available, how do I handle the full contribution that I've already made to my HSA for this year?  I assume that only a pro-rata contribution would be allowed and I would need to make a withdrawal to avoid an excess contribution penalty.

Shane

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Hawaii HSA-compatible health insurance?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2016, 03:12:38 AM »
In Hawaii HMSA and Kaiser are pretty much your only two choices.

Have you tried the Hawaii Health Connector website? Maybe they can help you.

rickhuizinga

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2016, 03:52:22 PM »
In Hawaii HMSA and Kaiser are pretty much your only two choices.

Have you tried the Hawaii Health Connector website? Maybe they can help you.
Thanks for the suggestion, but it pretty much comes up with the same plans as HealthCare.gov.

I now need to figure out how to get a pro-rata portion of my HSA contribution back so that I don't get the excess contribution penalty at the end of the year.

Sent from my Pixel C using Tapatalk

IndexInvestorHSA

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2016, 12:55:26 PM »
You would have to contact  your HSA admin and do a mistaken contribution form and take the money back out. Its kinda a pain but hopefully that helps.

Axecleaver

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2016, 02:57:40 PM »
Hawaii ended its Health Connector program at the end of 2015. It now redirects to the federal website. HMSA and Kaiser are the two biggest insurance companies and together they have almost all of the market share. There's a third company there, but I believe they only run a handful of clinics, mostly on leeward.

Call those two companies directly and ask about HDHP plans (which are compatible with HSA's). They didn't list all of their available plans on the Exchange, each of them had over 150 plans with a variety of features back in 2013 when I was there. It's a bit of a PITA to get your Exchange plans approved through the state insurance department, so they kept those fairly limited in number.

rickhuizinga

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2018, 01:23:08 PM »
2019 Update: HMSA now offers an HSA-compliant health insurance plan in Hawaii.  It's only available in a Bronze level plan, likely due to the HSA requirement of having a high-deductible health plan.