Author Topic: Having my husband cut my hair...  (Read 11372 times)

slappy

• Handlebar Stache
Having my husband cut my hair...
« on: August 11, 2017, 09:44:45 AM »
Who does this? (Husband cutting wife's hair) I always hear it's such a big savings and my husband agreed to try it. Anyone have a good YouTube video link?

robartsd

• Magnum Stache
Re: Having my husband cut my hair...
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2017, 10:42:28 AM »
What kind of haircut do you want/need? I do a very simple trim on my wife's hair a few times a year - it just involves combing wet hair straight back then cutting a level line about 6 inches below her shoulders, removing 4-6 inches of hair.

UK to USA

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2017, 01:02:18 PM »
I think success depends largely on your hair type and desired style. I've not had hubby cut mine, but I have cut his and my own a few times. His is definitely more forgiving as it's curly. My hair is super straight so any slip ups are quite obvious. If I thought he would do a half decent job I'd totally let him lose on my hair though.

westtoeast

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2017, 01:06:05 PM »
Honestly, I'd cut it myself if I were you! That way you have full control. If you have straight or straight-ish hair there are lots of youtube tutorials. I cut my own into subtle layers... I've asked around and nobody can tell it is not from a salon. The longer your hair is the less risk you are taking, however.

lbmustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2017, 01:12:55 PM »
Honestly, I'd cut it myself if I were you! That way you have full control. If you have straight or straight-ish hair there are lots of youtube tutorials. I cut my own into subtle layers... I've asked around and nobody can tell it is not from a salon. The longer your hair is the less risk you are taking, however.

I have cut my hair before with no adverse effects! You can look up tutorials on Youtube or websites... it's pretty straightforward.

Definitely use shears. Don't use your kitchen scissors, etc. If your hair is long, you can probably get away with cutting it while wet... I don't have straight hair, so if I'm cutting my hair dry I usually blow dry it straight or straighten it.

Snow

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2017, 01:14:23 PM »
I've cut my own hair ever since I moved out. But I have really thick hair, so minor nicks aren't going to be visible when I'm finished. But yeah, it really depends on your type of hair, the type of style you want, and not to mention your husband's steadiness of hand. You can always fix it up yourself later if it doesn't work for you, or visit a hairdresser.

I think as with anything, it's a good idea to start with a simple style without too much layering. You can add that in later if you want, once you both get the hang of how to do it and how to communicate what you want.

shuffler

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2017, 01:52:03 PM »
I am a husband who cuts his wife's hair.

But she is a badass and has a mohawk, so it's really just a #0.5 guard clip-job on the sides.
I love my wife.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2017, 01:58:31 PM »
I currently cut my own hair and my son's hair.  My wife refuses to let me touch hers, but . . . c'mon . . . how hard could it be?  :P

TartanTallulah

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2017, 02:24:25 PM »
My husband has been cutting my hair for several years. Just a simple trim; I've got straight hair that I keep in a short bob. He is meticulous, and it has the advantage that I can have my hair cut naked and not be fishing little spiky bits of hair out of my underwear afterwards. He also cuts his own and DS's hair and has done DD2's when she's just wanted a crop or a buzz-cut.

I've never been appearance-conscious beyond "clean and tidy", so it works for me.

marielle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2017, 02:42:51 PM »
This is the method I've been using for at least 4 years now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9Erf49Eyxc

Takes me less than 5 minutes. I have hair a few inches past my waist.

Tass

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2017, 03:41:06 PM »
Any women with pixies cut their own hair? It seems impossible to me - it's too long to buzz but far more complicated than just combing it straight and snipping the ends - but I have been surprised by mustachians before. The cuts every two months are the only high-maintenance thing about it.

ElleFiji

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2017, 04:56:04 PM »
I cut my own! I do a ponytail cut from a YouTube tutorial and then a bangs/front layers trim.

I would not trust my partner male or otherwise. Partly because worst case scenario if I screw up is running to the salon. Worst case if a partner does it, is hurt feelings and acting cruelly and being a bad partner. This is also why I wouldn't let my aunt, a professional stylist do it.

My hair scissors were about $14

Snow

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2017, 10:54:01 PM »
Any women with pixies cut their own hair? It seems impossible to me - it's too long to buzz but far more complicated than just combing it straight and snipping the ends - but I have been surprised by mustachians before. The cuts every two months are the only high-maintenance thing about it.

I used to have long hair, making a regular donation to Locks of Love. About a year ago, I decided "blast it", and chopped it off under my ears.

It is a little more difficult to maintain. I usually do it in the shower. But mine is a pretty simple short cut. I keep it a little longer at the front, and then taper it up towards the middle of my neck. It would be easier if SO could do it, as they'd be able to see what they were doing, but going by feel has worked fine as well. But again, my hair is thick, hiding whatever mistake I make (and frizzy/messy), plus I am not very appearance conscious.

It is so easy to clean though. And so light!

Nudelkopf

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2017, 12:08:37 AM »
It's just gone past my 4 year anniversary of my last "proper" (read: paid) haircut. I still stick to the "ponytail" method. Easy. My hair is thick & reaches my bra-strap at the back.

Although, I'm a bridesmaid in 8 weeks time, so going to get a style cut for that. Bleugh. More money.

nora

• Stubble
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2017, 07:56:12 AM »
My husband shaved my head a few months ago with clippers we bought at target. Seemed like a good idea at the time as I was so tired of my hair. It is growing back fast and my mind is thinking of the clippers again.

slappy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2017, 01:00:28 PM »
I watched the video linked above and some others. I was ready to do it myself but my husband didn't think that was a good idea. He did it for me today and it turned out fine. I don't love it, but I'm never happy with a salon cut either. I've had one great cut in my life and when i went back (same girl) it  wasnt the same. :(

Here's the cut he gave me.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2017, 01:09:31 PM by slappy »

redbird

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2017, 02:30:39 PM »
My husband cuts hair for both me and for himself. I have long hair that I just need a few inches trimmed off every now and then to make the bottom straight + cut off split ends. He has never watched a video or anything but is very good at cutting things straight. He just takes some scissors and cuts it. Nothing fancy and only takes him a minute or two to do. He uses an electric hair trimmer for his own hair.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2017, 02:49:16 PM »
I watched the video linked above and some others. I was ready to do it myself but my husband didn't think that was a good idea. He did it for me today and it turned out fine. I don't love it, but I'm never happy with a salon cut either. I've had one great cut in my life and when i went back (same girl) it  wasnt the same. :(

You have lovely beady black eyes.  :P

slappy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2017, 03:06:27 PM »

You have lovely beady black eyes.  :P

Haha! He said after that he should have drawn a mustache on.

Everyone at work likes my hair and are shocked that I let my husband cut it. One woman did say that I work hard and I deserve to go to a real hairdresser. Lol

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2017, 03:09:57 PM »
I cut my gf's hair if I'm around - if not she cuts it herself.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2017, 12:02:20 AM »
I cut his and mine.

I've watched him spill flour all over the kitchen floor enough times not to trust him with scissors near my face.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2017, 01:53:24 AM »
I have been cutting DHs hair with the Male Grooming Device for a several decades.

Twice I have made him cut my hair. The first time I don't remember much, but he probably just cut off an inch or so. Last time my hair was pretty long and I wanted it shorter. And I wanted a bit of layers. My DH studied some youtube films and started cutting. It turned out shorter than planned, I was a bit shocked. But it looked okay and straight. My colleagues gave me compliments, although you never know whether these are genuine. A good hairdresser can cut a better coupe. But last time I let a hairdresser cut my hair I wasn't the same length on both sides of my head. My DH did a better job.
I have had long hair for years and didn't go to a hairdresser more than once per 1,5 year. But there are a lot of not so good hairdressers. I have earlier been paying a lot for a good hairdresser. But now I found a local one that does a good job and costs only 2/3 of the expensive one. It was her younger colleague that did a bad job. Next time, who knows, I might ask DH to cut me again, but to make sure he doesn't cut it too short.

nottoolatetostart

• Bristles
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2017, 05:07:48 AM »
Looks fine and you would never know. That's really the point. Reminds me of MMM's article of exaggeration of tiny details. I feel the same as you, it might look great after I leave the hairstylist's chair but never like it after that. In my case,  I was paying 1200 a year, which included color.  I have been doing my own ahoulder length haor since Jan 2016. I learned that if I style it, you would never know I do it myself.

Doing it another time or two, and I promise you will never go back to hairdresser again.

MrsDinero

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2017, 05:19:03 AM »
I did the pony tail method many times, but it was always a little uneven. Even though you could not tell because of the way I normally wear my hair.  I ended up buying the Crea Clip and have since been using it. I love it.  This picture is after the first time I used the CreaClip and I straightened my hair.  I just used it again yesterday, so easy and no more uneven ends.

crazy jane

• Bristles
« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2017, 07:13:57 AM »
My husband has been cutting my hair for years. I call it the less than one second haircut. Straight out of the shower and after brushing, he snips a few inches off in one cut.

MsSindy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2017, 07:24:01 AM »
Hi slappy!

You and I have roughly the same hairstyle - shoulder length and relatively all one length - I have a little bit more layers than you do.  I've been cutting my own hair for the past couple of years.  I typically do just a little trim when the ends are getting damaged, opposed to waiting until I need a "big haircut" and cut inches off.  No one has ever been able to tell that I cut my own and I do get compliments (I color my own, too using eSalon).

Yours looks great, nice job!!