Author Topic: Have you tried RingPlus? What do you think of it?  (Read 2580 times)

NestEggChick (formerly PFgal)

• Stubble
    • Nest Egg Chick
Have you tried RingPlus? What do you think of it?
« on: August 26, 2016, 06:26:17 PM »
I'm considering my new cell phone plan options and I stumbled across RingPlus. It looks to good to be true, so I'm wondering if any fellow mustachians have tried it and what you've thought of it. It would also help a lot if you'd tell me where you are. I'm in the Boston area, so I'm especially curious about how well it works around here, but general quality info would be useful too. Thanks!

Daley

• Magnum Stache
  • Still kickin', I guess.
Re: Have you tried RingPlus? What do you think of it?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2016, 06:46:42 PM »
RingPlus does do advertising and datamining, and part of the advertising is replacing the ring notification on outbound calls with advertisements.

They have some interesting features such as their auto-translate, but they're routing through their own VoIP servers to do all this stuff, and it can impact call quality a little bit. That said, I'd still recommend RingPlus over Republic Wireless... but not by a whole lot. One positive, they do have support.

Basically, they support any Sprint handset with a clean ESN, and reception will be similar to Sprint coverage for your region, and they offer VoIP service for WiFi calling if needed. If you're already on Sprint, they're viable... but you'd be better served switching to an MVNO on the network you're already on using the phone you've already purchased. Check the guide for some solid options.

• Stubble
    • Nest Egg Chick
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2016, 06:55:50 PM »
Thanks so much I.P. Daley! I looked for your super awesome cell phone plan guide on the forum and couldn't find it. I'm curious, why do you recommend RingPlus over Republic Wireless specifically? What are the negatives to RW that cause you to make that recommendation? Thanks again for your input! It really helps.

katsiki

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2016, 07:35:27 PM »
I have two lines with RP for emergencies - 1 in each car.  I use them every few weeks to keep them active.  No issues.

Daley

• Magnum Stache
  • Still kickin', I guess.
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2016, 09:17:43 PM »
I'm curious, why do you recommend RingPlus over Republic Wireless specifically? What are the negatives to RW that cause you to make that recommendation?

1) Ring Plus has actual live support people you can call and talk to instead of forcing you to rely on free community support.
2) Ring Plus' terms of service are considerably more customer friendly, though they do both datamine.
3) Ring Plus can activate any Sprint phone you want and supports WiFi calling with any smartphone that can install a SIP client, Republic's hybrid Sprint service uses proprietary handsets, and Republic's T-Mobile service is still restricted to a very short list of expensive smartphones.
4) Republic's proprietary hybrid Sprint service is still buggy after all these years and doesn't behave like actual mobile phone service, and it is a mandatory WiFi/VoIP first service.
5) Ring Plus actually offers and sells real mobile phone service, with the optional ability to tie VoIP service in.

The thread is a sticky in the Share Your Badassity subforum:
http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/share-your-badassity/communications-tech-son-of-the-superguide!/

• Stubble
    • Nest Egg Chick
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2016, 07:09:33 AM »
Katsiki, good to know. Is there any reason you don't use them as your primary phones?

I.P. Daley, thanks for that awesome list! Keeping my phone is a big thing. On the one hand, it's almost 3 years old, so it might not last much longer. On the other hand, I love it, and it feels ridiculous to buy a new phone when I like this one just fine. RW has opened up to accept a lot of BYOD phones, but sadly mine isn't on the list. I guess it's time to figure out the quality of Sprint coverage in my area!