Author Topic: Have you saved money by skipping a generation of technology?  (Read 13911 times)

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
Another thread prompted me to ask this.

When my husband and I got married we bought a $40 DVD player. After three years it died so we bought another $40 DVD player. We also had my husband's Xbox 360 but it was fairly temperamental and wouldn't play DVDs.

We talked about buying an HD recorder but they were $300-$400 at the time, and it wasn't a priority.

Then we were given Apple TV for Christmas, he used birthday money to buy the Xbox One when it came out, we sold the DVD player to a family member for $10, and suddenly we no longer want or need a recorder. Catch-up apps have us covered.

A friend of mine went through three HD recorders in the same period. >.<

matchewed

• Magnum Stache
Re: Have you saved money by skipping a generation of technology?
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2015, 07:16:06 PM »
Maybe...

Sent via not Tapatalk on my iPhone 4

Eggman111

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2015, 07:32:16 PM »
Maybe...

Sent via not Tapatalk on my iPhone 4
I see what you did there.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

CupcakeGuru

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2015, 07:57:59 PM »
Even though my husband is in IT, we always skip 2 or 3 generations of products.

Sent frommy Ipad 2

Daley

• Magnum Stache
  • Still kickin', I guess.
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2015, 08:03:40 PM »
I've repeatedly done so by skipping multiple generations.

Sent from my Commodore 64 using HyperLink 2.5e

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2015, 08:05:59 PM »
<<< ^^^ >>> ^<^ ><>
<<< ^^^ <<< ^>^ ^<^

Trans: Skip generations - what are they?

Sent on mud tablets

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2015, 08:09:42 PM »
The real question is not can you save money by skipping a generation of technology. Of course you can. Technology always gets cheaper.

The real question is is it worth the money savings to skip a generation of technology. In my experience, most of the time the answer is yes.

okits

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2015, 09:12:44 PM »
I consider this low-hanging fruit.  Upgrading with each generation is the definition of wastefulness (and a huge money leak), so I expect most people on these boards skip several generations.

Sent by drawings scratched onto a cave wall

okobrien

• Stubble
    • Up From Wage Slavery
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2015, 09:33:53 PM »
<<< ^^^ >>> ^<^ ><>
<<< ^^^ <<< ^>^ ^<^

Sent on mud tablets
Funniest comment of the night!

OttoVonBisquick

• Stubble
  • Eisen und Blut und Pfannkuchen
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2015, 09:53:13 PM »
Hahaha excellent thread full of funny posts.

Anyways, yes, I have done so with my phone. I used to have some red LG flip phone for a while through high school, up until I got an LG Dare in say, oh, 2009? 10? I call that a "dumbphone" because it had a nasty, crappy touchscreen, horrible texting interface, etc. etc. However, being a contrarian shithead kid like I was, I bucked against upgrading to a fancy-schmancy iPhone until Summer 2014, almost a year ago to the very day. Love me my iphone though. It's like a nasty drug habit, but my bathroom trips have been far more interesting (Thanks, Quora!).

I also forewent buying an Xbox One because console gaming has gone down the pooper, bought desktop PC parts for the equivalent to what I would have spent buying games/content for it anyways, built a very powerful, big, gaming rig (affectionately titles "Dumptruck" for its sheer size), and saved thousands of dollars getting free games, movies, and tv shows (however that may happen).

However, my hearing aids stayed ultra-current thanks to my previous health insurance provider, but I will have to stay with this version of them for a while since Obamacare doesn't cover hearing aids and they can cost around $5000 for a new pair.

sixup

• Stubble
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2015, 10:21:00 PM »
I still don't have a smart phone. So...I probably have saved a bit there. :)

Ozstache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2015, 05:17:30 AM »
Living a year or two in the technological past has saved me a fortune, with minimal functionality impact, over the years.

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2015, 05:27:11 AM »
Of course. I had my same cell phone from 1999 until around 2009. I keep my computers until they die. And I have skipped so many generations of gadgets--and I still haven't bought any of them.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2015, 07:09:51 AM »
My cell phone is an Iphone 4 (though it is only 3 years old)  Siri? What's that?
My computer was bought in 2006.
My DVD/VCR combo was bought in 2002.
We have a Wii as our most updated consule (though we have more recent 3DSes)

I don't understand the idea of buying to replace something that works just because something new is available. Except maybe with the Iphones- even "normal" people don't do that- right?
« Last Edit: July 01, 2015, 07:58:19 AM by iowajes »

rae

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2015, 07:16:24 AM »
I've always used hand-me-down computers, until I bought my current computer in 2006.

I used a flip phone until I got a free smartphone.

I still have a VCR. My husband had a DVD player before we got married. I think I actually use the VCR more often. (We get most movies on-line)

I think skipping generations helps keep the junk out of the house. I have no need for the newest (or oldest) tablet or phone or ipod.

begood

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2015, 07:19:38 AM »
My iPhone 4S is still humming along, though its battery is starting to get fussy.

My 1st gen Kindle Fire and Kindle Keyboard are still working fine, even after I dropped the Keyboard and its back fell off the other night!

I used the same desktop from 2003 - 2012, though I have to admit that it had less to do with skipping generations and more to do with my abject terror at the thought of having to move all my shit to a new computer. And set up MS Word like I like it.

If I've taken one thing away from this forum, it's "Don't replace functioning technology."

LouLou

• Bristles
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2015, 07:32:13 AM »
If I've taken one thing away from this forum, it's "Don't replace functioning technology."

This is my attitude.  I only got a new laptop after my last one was not functional.  I got a new smartphone after I had my old one for 4 years and dropped it so many times it shattered into oblivion.

Also, skipping generations makes buying more fun.  There is already a new version of my smartphone out, but it is only incrementally better than mine. When I buy another several years from now, who knows what phones will be able to do!

pancakes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2015, 07:45:23 AM »
I'm tempted to buy a new phone but I can't bring myself to do it knowing that what I have meets my needs and a new phone isn't really going to offer any vast improvements to my life. I've decided that when it breaks or gets badly damaged I'll replace it. I've had my glass iPhone now for 5 years without a cover on it and although I've dropped it on numerous occasions, it is still with me.

I also still use my first and only iPod which is now almost 12 years old, the battery only lasts an hour or so but it works perfectly plugged in and connected to speakers. Unfortunately when I moved interstate I left my 12 year old powerbook behind and it doesn't seem to be compatible with newer computers, so I can't update my playlists.

Schaefer Light

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2015, 08:12:47 AM »
I never buy the newest golf clubs.  If I'm in the market for a new driver, I'll go on eBay and buy a used TaylorMade that's a few years old and costs 25% of what the new ones cost.

OttoVonBisquick

• Stubble
  • Eisen und Blut und Pfannkuchen
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2015, 08:24:35 AM »
I never buy the newest golf clubs.  If I'm in the market for a new driver, I'll go on eBay and buy a used TaylorMade that's a few years old and costs 25% of what the new ones cost.

I'm wildly ignorant about golf and have a bit of a haughty attitude about golf, but... Do clubs *really* change every year? I would imagine they have that down to a tee (pun intended)

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2015, 08:26:28 AM »
I still don't have a smart phone. So...I probably have saved a bit there. :)

I hate the very idea of a smart phone, so I have the most primitive flip-style dumb phone that can be managed. Husband just got a smart phone last winter for the first time.  I hate phones, and if I could get away with none at all, I would.

Husband still has his first gen ipod, and i have the first ipod nano. They are both held together with tape at this point, but they still work.

No gaming systems or anything.

Still have our DVD bought 10 years ago (not a high-def) and still use it most days. 

I try to upgrade my single computer (I need for work) no more than every 4-5 years, though that is tough. Usually it works out to every 3-4, which pisses me off.

Schaefer Light

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2015, 08:34:06 AM »

I'm wildly ignorant about golf and have a bit of a haughty attitude about golf, but... Do clubs *really* change every year? I would imagine they have that down to a tee (pun intended)
Much like the auto industry, golf club manufacturers bring out new models each year.  Personally, I think most of the changes you see from one year to the next are cosmetic (after all, the club has to look different to make people want to buy it).  Every once in a while a new model really does introduce some new technology that can make the game easier or help you to hit certain types of shots.  But for the most part, a club that's a few years old is going to perform the same as one that's brand new.

MMMaybe

• Bristles
« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2015, 08:40:29 AM »
I still have my iPhone 4S, Kindle Keyboard and 10 year old iPod. Going strong :)

What is interesting is when one technology replaces the need for another i.e.

We don't have cable so no need for DVRs as we can do catch ups online. I will likely not replace our current TV as I use my tablet for TV viewing now. My phone has really replaced the need for a separate Kindle or an iPod so those won't get replaced...

vhalros

• Bristles
« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2015, 08:50:38 AM »
I have a DVD player than I don't even remember how old it is. Somewhere between five and ten years I think; it still works, so I see no reason to "upgrade".

I tend to get a new phone ever two to three years because they are not really made to last and tend to break down in that period (also not having software updates is problematic); but I don't replace them until they stop working.

I have a Nintendo Wii that I use primarily to stream Netflix.

My last laptop was replaced only because the hinge joint actually cracked. I used some JP Weld on it which actually kept it going for a year, but then it broke again in a less fixable way. On PCs, I solve the software upgrade problem by running linux.  I would not run a version of Windows too old to receive updates; malware is a huge problem. My current laptop is three years old, but I have access to a number of more powerful machines if I need to do something computationally intensive.

patrickza

• Pencil Stache
    • I live on a boat
« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2015, 09:01:44 AM »
I'm in IT and I not only skip generations, but whole areas of technology. Never owned a DVD player, nor a tablet. In fact I'd be upset if someone gave me either! My gaming console is a nintendo wii, but I think I'll sell that and get ETFs in return :)

If I want to watch something I stream it via my 9 year old desktop (runs fine on ubuntu!). If I need to check a document I've got my 5 year old laptop, or two year old nexus 5. The nexus is so good I don't see any need to upgrade it for many years.

MillenialMustache

• Bristles
« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2015, 10:07:43 AM »
I try to keep technology to a minimum. My laptop is five years old or more. We have a working VCR. We have a blu-ray player that is a couple of years old. My phone is only about a year old, but that is because I switched to Republic Wireless. I bought the new phone used on Ebay. No mp3 player, just use my phone. Camera is five years old - would stop using it for my phone but take pics for Ebay.

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2015, 10:35:04 AM »
Desktop: Mac G5 (2004) runs 3 monitors fine.   
6 MacOS generations skipped, along with associated hardware

previous (1996-2004) PowerTower 180  with a gigantic 1GB hardrive

Never owned own cellphone
Company provided flipphone was specifically procured without camera - try that now
    Camera-less for customer security issues

catccc

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2015, 10:43:55 AM »
I used the same candy bar nokia dumb phone for 7 years.  The phone was a hand-me-down that was already 1-2 years old at the time I received it.  I got my first smartphone in 2013, and it was a 1-2 years olds at the time.  In 2014 I got an iphone 4 used for $100.  I went a little crazy this year and got a 5c used for $150.  So I never have the latest and greatest, but I don't really covet that.

Insanity

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2015, 10:54:48 AM »
We have two 4ses (with battery issues now),  my wife replaced her five year old laptop, I have a three year old (that will probably not be replaced for 3-4 years).

I really don't need the new tech.  I do like to stay somewhat up to date, though.  Especially being in IT security.

Catbert

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2015, 12:11:30 PM »
Well, I had a flip phone until it died about 5 years ago. I upgraded to a LG dumb phone with a slide out keyboard (Sidekick?).  When it dies I've promised DH that I'll upgrade to a smart phone.  The battery is having a hard time holding a charge so I'll soon be faced with the question of finding a new battery or moving into the 21st century. 

So how many generation of phones have I skipped?

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #30 on: July 01, 2015, 12:30:00 PM »
<<< ^^^ >>> ^<^ ><>
<<< ^^^ <<< ^>^ ^<^

Sent on mud tablets
Funniest comment of the night!
And the next day!

astvilla

• Stubble
« Reply #31 on: July 01, 2015, 02:19:02 PM »
I buy old phones now.  So last year I'm on an S3 and still on it, spent 200 on it at the time, to avoid changing the family plan and jacking prices up since we're grandfathered on Verizon.  Still got that unlimited data plan though I'm considering giving it up since I never go above 1 GB anyway since I use it to check emails or product reviews when I'm shopping, or GPS or whatever random think I need at the moment.  I think we're on Samsung S5 but I don't really keep up with technology.

I also had a dvd player.  Our family doesn't have HD-DVD or Blu-Ray.  I also don't have Netflix or Hulu.  I have torrents though! 
I don't have a tablet.  I don't have a desktop computer.  I have a 5 year old printer. 

I don't skip generations, sometimes I don't even adopt the new ones. 

Ironically the best time of my life was when I had little to no technology on me.  In Taiwan, with no internet connection (a struggle it was to get) forced me to do things I wouldn't have thought of doing like explore, hike, wander around, get lost, etc. 

Technology is like a curse on human enrichment and self-fulfillment sometimes.

frugaliknowit

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #32 on: July 01, 2015, 02:54:57 PM »
Bought a TV in 2003 and didn't replace it until 2014, then only because my 7 year old Sony Vaio Laptop died and any replacement of the Vaio would not have SD Video which is what my TV required.  So, I replaced the TV, then, instead of replacing the Vaio, connect my Surface Pro to a new TV and a larger monitor.

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #33 on: July 01, 2015, 03:03:05 PM »
Bought a TV in 2003 and didn't replace it until 2014, then only because my 7 year old Sony Vaio Laptop died and any replacement of the Vaio would not have SD Video which is what my TV required.  So, I replaced the TV, then, instead of replacing the Vaio, connect my Surface Pro to a new TV and a larger monitor.
We don't have a TV - and never have. We have only recently got mobile phones.

We got a tablet for free a few years ago. In the past few months we have started to use it, and now realize that tablets might be worth having (we will be getting a new one, because the free one has too little memory, and is such an old version of software and hardware that it often fails).

I think that late adoption (or no adoption) of technology has saved us a lot over the years.

pka222

• Stubble
« Reply #34 on: July 01, 2015, 03:47:18 PM »
And buy used.  I went from a dumb phone to a Samsung smart phone (maybe a 4?) and by buying it used I spent about 100USD, Never had a DVD player- just use a computer.  Got it used as well.  The rapid up grading produces a huge pool of functional newish items at 90% the purchase price - 

mustachianism_is_aredpill

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #35 on: July 01, 2015, 04:00:19 PM »
My two personal laptops (a Mac and a Vaio) are 6 and 7 years old at this point. I do all repairs and upgrades (the few that come up) myself.

I guess having bought two laptops in the first place is un-Mustachian. I bought the Mac used and hadn't heard of this blog at the time.

waffle

• Bristles
« Reply #36 on: July 02, 2015, 07:57:50 AM »
Its kind of a no brainer that you generally save money by making do with what you have and not spending money...

I actually have an example where keeping up with the latest technology actually cost me practically nothing. I have been a long time iPhone user. I have had the original, 3Gs,4,4s,5s, and now 6. The original I bought off of ebay about 6 months after it first came out. Because the iPhone was exclusive to At&t for the first few years and the non subsidized price was/is extremely pricey there is a strong used market, so every time I became eligible for the cheaper upgrade pricing I upgraded as soon as I could and sold my old phone. I take good care of my phones so they would always be in great shape and bring top dollar. Each upgrade never cost more than about $50-75 out of pocket (when I jumped to the next tier of memory) and a few times I actually netted a profit.

Sadly while selling off my old phone will still offset future costs when I got married At&t wasn't such a great value any more. I was on a grandfathered unlimited plan with a 26% student discount. Adding my wife to the plan more than doubled the cost, so we switched to tmobile. Of course it now only costs $30/line for unlimited everything so I cant really complain. With what we save vs at&t we could both get new phones every year if we chose to, but I'll probably stick with every couple of years.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #37 on: July 02, 2015, 08:33:34 AM »
I've skipped all versions of cellphones to date . . . lately people have been offering me their old smartphones for free.

expectopatronum

• Stubble
« Reply #38 on: July 02, 2015, 08:36:47 AM »
Heck yes. There's also saving money by buying an older generation of something instead of the new one, since the depreciation on electronics is so high. Staying behind the curve is awesome. I take the same approach to movies. If I can ignore the hype, then I just have to wait for it to come out on Netflix in a few months :)

I use my electronics until they die or until they can serve as a good replacement for my parents' technology. My mom used my very first flipphone from like 2007 up until the iPhone 5c came out around....2013? My dad bought my iPhone 5 off me (which was good, because I wouldn't allow myself to get rid of it even though I was having storage issues) to replace his first smartphone. It feels less wasteful when that piece of technology goes on to continue being used and not just turned into Verizon for recycling.

I also realize the absurd amount of electronics which have been gifted to me. We own 3 tablets/eReaders, which is idiotic, but we each won one at work and the other was a gift from 4 years ago.

I just bought a new personal laptop to replace my 7 y/o one. That's the one area that I wanted to go new/updated.

Ocelot

• Stubble
« Reply #39 on: July 03, 2015, 01:38:59 AM »
Buying current-gen tech is a mug's game. While sometimes the newer stuff really is amazingly cool, if you stay a consistent 1-2 years behind the ball, you can get incredible gear for way, way cheaper than new stuff costs, and you skip the early adopter issues too. It's just like upgrading on the day things are released, you get the same progression of cool tech, but prices are way under half as much. This works super well on video games and PC graphics cards especially - this year's $100 AAA game is next year's $15 special on Steam.

I'm also big on not replacing things till they stop working too, but you have to apply some sound economics to each situation - ie my new laptop lets me post-process a day's work easily twice as fast as my old one, which buys me a) more time to get things right, b) more time for admin/promotion that will grow my business, c) I can push stuff out before my competition has a chance, and d) more sleep before the next long day. All that is worth way more than the marginal cost involved in upgrading my machine. Still the 2nd cheapest one in the shop, because even for the supposedly intensive task I use it for, modern machines are overkill. All it need was a bit more cheap RAM.

Actually a good new MMM article would be "The ridiculous power and luxury of modern computers, the very basic web browsing and movie watching 99% of users use them for, and the mystery of why they all buy the top models anyway"

The Pigeon

• Stubble
  • Now *I* drive the bus! *FIREd*!
« Reply #40 on: July 03, 2015, 10:51:00 AM »
I always skip generations on tech--I use something until it stops functioning, can no longer be upgraded or has become ridiculously slow and can no longer handle its tasks.

I usually buy the previous-gen right after the latest one comes out. It lasts a long time and is, happily, significantly discounted.

Sent via (what else?) carrier pigeon
;-)

-The Pigeon

taekvideo

• Bristles
« Reply #41 on: July 03, 2015, 03:23:49 PM »
1) laptop from 2009 with a broken screen that I still use.. hooked up to my projector and watch anything off of it. Won't be replaced until it's completely broken haha. Don't need new tech to run vlc player ;)
2) main pc I built in 2011... I'm what you would call a "power user"... but really don't expect I'll need to replace it for quite some time regardless...
3) Ipod I bought 3 generations behind from ebay for cheap... phone too bulky for jogging and every other "mp3 player" I've ever tried ever was a complete trainwreck.. (only apple product I actually like haha)
4) 1st gen Kindle Keyboard still going strong! (backlit screens ie phone/tablet are NOT a viable replacement for true e-ink... the blood dripping from my eyes can attest to that ^^). Seems good enough to serve my reading needs forever, or until it breaks of course.
5) Phone was latest generation but cheapest model when I bought it... didn't want the hassle of doing freedompop's BYOD stuff, but will probably keep it for a long, long time.
6) Never got a blu ray player... doubt I'll ever get another "xxx player", running off a computer is SO much better.
7) Projector is 720p... 4k/8k will probably be standard by the time it breaks.

My 2 tablets are latest gen / most popular model... but my work bought them for me so that doesn't count right? xD

Buying current-gen tech is a mug's game. While sometimes the newer stuff really is amazingly cool, if you stay a consistent 1-2 years behind the ball, you can get incredible gear for way, way cheaper than new stuff costs, and you skip the early adopter issues too. It's just like upgrading on the day things are released, you get the same progression of cool tech, but prices are way under half as much. This works super well on video games and PC graphics cards especially - this year's $100 AAA game is next year's $15 special on Steam.

I'm also big on not replacing things till they stop working too, but you have to apply some sound economics to each situation - ie my new laptop lets me post-process a day's work easily twice as fast as my old one, which buys me a) more time to get things right, b) more time for admin/promotion that will grow my business, c) I can push stuff out before my competition has a chance, and d) more sleep before the next long day. All that is worth way more than the marginal cost involved in upgrading my machine. Still the 2nd cheapest one in the shop, because even for the supposedly intensive task I use it for, modern machines are overkill. All it need was a bit more cheap RAM.

Actually a good new MMM article would be "The ridiculous power and luxury of modern computers, the very basic web browsing and movie watching 99% of users use them for, and the mystery of why they all buy the top models anyway"

A lot of people are actually discovering they don't need the latest and greatest desktop/laptop anymore. Of course instead of making do with their older ones (or a cheaper model new one) they buy the latest and greatest ipad or iphone to do their web browsing and movie watching on instead!
Actually even there, my literally cheapest phone that freedompop offered ($125 no contract) can browse the web just fine and easily run any app/game in the play store.... just can't install too many apps at once lol (unless you root it to install apps on a microsd card of course).
« Last Edit: July 03, 2015, 03:39:27 PM by taekvideo »

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #42 on: July 03, 2015, 03:49:31 PM »
<<< ^^^ >>> ^<^ ><>
<<< ^^^ <<< ^>^ ^<^

Sent on mud tablets
Actually, I was being quite serious with my question. What are generations? Aren't they really only a sales pitch to the consumer sucka to buy ANOTHER of a thing he already has that is working perfectly the way it is?

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #43 on: July 03, 2015, 06:26:21 PM »
<<< ^^^ >>> ^<^ ><>
<<< ^^^ <<< ^>^ ^<^

Sent on mud tablets
Actually, I was being quite serious with my question. What are generations? Aren't they really only a sales pitch to the consumer sucka to buy ANOTHER of a thing he already has that is working perfectly the way it is?

Sometimes, sometimes not. I do not disagree that most of the time what you currently have is still going to serve you well. But there are times when the new generation (call this gen N+1) actually has improvements that are worthwhile (though rarely is it worth upgrading immediately - if N+1 actually has good improvements, it's typically not worth the money to upgrade right away but you should wait for N+2 so you can buy N+1 at a more reasonable price).

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #44 on: July 03, 2015, 06:41:47 PM »
I'm on a smartphone from 2012, a laptop from 2009, and a desktop from 2011, so yes.  Yesterday's technology is pretty damn close to today's technology at 30-60% the cost.  Sometimes even last Tuesday's technology will do the trick at 5%.

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #45 on: July 03, 2015, 06:58:49 PM »
I reached my own "peak computing" around 2010. Virtually no protocol or application that has come out since has been of any meanngful value to me.