Author Topic: Have you got a fluoride/chlorine shower head filter  (Read 5641 times)

purple monkey

• Bristles
Have you got a fluoride/chlorine shower head filter
« on: August 25, 2017, 05:05:46 AM »
Hey there,
Looking for folks that have installed a fluoride showerhead filter.  I need fluoride plus chlorine filter.
Any experience with that?
Particular brand that you like.
TIA

jjcamembert

• Stubble
Re: Have you got a fluoride/chlorine shower head filter
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2017, 10:59:01 AM »
We have the Berkey showerhead and it works great for chlorine. I'm not sure about fluoride, but I think that requires something more complex than just a showerhead replacement.

dycker1978

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2017, 11:00:40 AM »
Hey there,
Looking for folks that have installed a fluoride showerhead filter.  I need fluoride plus chlorine filter.
Any experience with that?
Particular brand that you like.
TIA

Why? it is not like you are drinking the water.  Seems like a colossal waste of money, and water(I am assuming there will be some loss in the filter?)

acroy

• Handlebar Stache
    • SWAMI
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2017, 11:43:09 AM »
So much misinformation, so little science....

FWIW:

The filters cause more problems than they solve. Bacteria will grow like crazy in the shower head & shower due to no/reduced chlorine. And then you inhale those nasty little bastards... which can actually be really bad.

Chlorine, properly used, is incredibly good stuff.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_chlorination

Similar applies to fluoride.

Save your money, take 2-minute Mustachian showers with your lovely municipal water, be happy :)

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2017, 12:10:59 PM »
Learning how to not get scammed into bullshit is one of the biggest money-saving things you can do. A lot of us have innate bullshit detection, but if not, it's definitely a skill you can learn.

acroy

• Handlebar Stache
    • SWAMI
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2017, 03:21:33 PM »
The filters cause more problems than they solve. Bacteria will grow like crazy in the shower head & shower due to no/reduced chlorine. And then you inhale those nasty little bastards... which can actually be really bad.

As anybody who has used well water knows, this is 100% false. Having used both well water without any chlorine or fluoride added and municipal water with chlorine and fluorine, the well water really is a lot better.

I am glad you had nice well water. I lived on well water as well (ha) for some years and enjoyed it.

However:
https://www.cdc.gov/healthywater/drinking/public/water_diseases.html
Note most or all of those can be in well water also. Chlorine will eliminate or control the nasties.

Dirty water is bad stuff ya'll. unfiltered water is playing with dynamite.

Half (half!) the hospital beds in the world are full of people suffering from water-borne diseases.
https://thewaterproject.org/water-scarcity/water_stats

Please don't fall for the quackery and filter the chlorine out of the water, unless you really know what you're doing. Doing so is similar to avoiding vaccines. It's there for a very strong public-health reason.

Dee18

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2017, 04:43:27 PM »
I had a chlorine filter on my shower for several years and loved it.  My skin and hair felt much better.  I took it off occasionally and replaced the filter.  It was never gross.  I'm happy to have our public water treated with chlorine to kill bad stuff.  Do you really think the water  is going to develop bad bacteria in the second it takes it to go through the filter before hitting my skin?

purple monkey

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2017, 05:42:47 AM »
Thank you for the folks that answered the question.

Anyone else out there for hard water solutions?

Will be purchasing filter and wanted MMM opinions about specific brands.

TIA

maizefolk

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2017, 08:36:12 AM »
Anyone else out there for hard water solutions?

Just to clarify, hard water is hard because of calcium and magnesium. If you're trying to get rid of those you'll want a water softener, not a water filter.

In your first post you mentioned chlorine and fluoride, which are a separate set of two issues. Getting chlorine out of water just requires a big enough carbon filter. You'll need a completely separate alumina filter element to reduce (not remove) fluoride.

So the first step is probably to decide what you're trying to remove from your water. If you're having trouble with scale on your showerhead or a lack of suds from soap/shampoo, you're bothered by hard water and a filter won't help. If your shower water smells bad (like a public pool) you're bothered by chlorine and you want a charcoal filter. ....I honestly have no idea why you'd want to remove fluoride from your shower water, but if that's your priority I'm sure someone somewhere sells an alumina filter element for a shower head filter.

DK

• Stubble
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2017, 08:51:35 AM »
Well water here. Have a softener that reduces the mag/calc quite a bit. Still have iron/rust that ends up accumulating in shower/etc. No filter or anything, although have thought about getting a whole house one, some sort of micron - charcoal - rust combo one. (well i guess i do have a fridge water line that goes through a filter which i usually use for drinking water).

I could see why OP would want a chlorine remover for shower, but also am a bit confused on the flouride piece to shower. Also echo the question on what OP wants, chlorine-less water? soft water? to make sure the correct recommendation is given.

Spartans

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2017, 03:44:36 PM »
So much misinformation, so little science....

FWIW:

Chlorine, properly used, is incredibly good stuff.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_chlorination

Similar applies to fluoride.

Save your money, take 2-minute Mustachian showers with your lovely municipal water, be happy :)

Please explain why fluoride is good stuff.  It's a neurotoxin.   If you're going to say 'it prevents tooth decay', so does brushing your teeth and I'd rather do that.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!