Author Topic: Have you given up gaming? What did you replace it with?  (Read 9876 times)

shicky

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Have you given up gaming? What did you replace it with?
« on: May 01, 2017, 10:55:26 AM »
Hi all,

so I'm about to sell all of my old gaming stuff in an act of decluttering.  I essentially never game anymore at the age of 29, though about 12years ago I was flat out attempting to go professional at it.  Unfortunately, I was a bit too early for it to take off as it has, though I'm not sure I actually regret that.

Anyway I decided to keep my xbox360 so myself and my girlfriend could play some Lego games if we felt in the mood and as we were both off for the week, we had a few goes for an hour here or there.  The problem I noticed however was that I was craving to play it during the day, instead of get on with my most important tasks.  Has anyone experienced this?

I'll call out now that I don't think video games are bad, I've many friends who control their gaming well.  However, for me, I really struggle to control it, even when I don't game, I don't like having distracting thoughts that I should go play.  I see it somewhat similar to junk food, if there's junk food in the house, I will eat it.  If I have a console in the house, I will play it!

It's on the above basis that I'm just going to sell everything off but one thing makes me hold back.  What do I replace gaming with?  There have been a few times in my life when I've needed it, i.e. very busy patch with work and it causes a very busy mind.  With video games, I could sit down for a few hours and completely distract myself.  I think this was beneficial for my brain and stress levels, I wonder what people use instead of video games in this sort of scenario?  I also used video games really well when studying for university exams, around two hours study, 20minute break to clear my head and then back to the books.

So what do people use instead of video games in the kind of scenario I describe?  I already physically train using bodyweight exercises and do some sprints but I schedule these in the morning so they actually get done and life doesn't get in the way!

BFGirl

• Pencil Stache
Re: Have you given up gaming? What did you replace it with?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2017, 11:09:00 AM »
I can get sucked into playing video games sometimes and ignore stuff I need to do, but when I do get to play I have a lot of fun with it and enjoy it and it can be a stress reliever.  I'm keeping all my stuff (mostly handheld systems that don't take up much room) for when I get a chance to play and to take for times of long sitting with nothing else to do.

If I was going to replace it, I'd do one of my multiple hobbies or read.

FLBiker

• Handlebar Stache
    • Chop Wood Carry FIRE
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2017, 11:25:05 AM »
The problem I noticed however was that I was craving to play it during the day, instead of get on with my most important tasks.  Has anyone experienced this?
With video games, I could sit down for a few hours and completely distract myself.  I think this was beneficial for my brain and stress levels, I wonder what people use instead of video games in this sort of scenario?

I can totally relate.  Personally, I stopped gaming around the same age (29) in large part because the way I felt about it (craving it) reminded me a lot of how I felt about alcohol (which I also quit at that age).  Certainly, some people can do it "responsibly" but I'm not one of those people.

And, re: the second part of your quote, I'm come to believe that "completely distracting myself" (by any means) isn't the best way to deal with stress.  I've found meditation, hiking, something like that (allowing my thoughts / feelings to be, rather than distracting myself from them) has been much more useful.  It's not always comfortable at the time, but it has been better in the long run.

bobechs

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2017, 11:56:39 AM »
Bicycle.

Start with a one mile ride; that will only take a few minutes. Half a mile (aboout a cdn km) out and half a mile back.

Then, set a timer on one of your devices with a timer function to alert you every so often that it is time for a ride.  Extend the ride by another mile every few days.

There are many threads here about which bike to get, how to equip it and how much to pay.  I won't try to encapsulate that.

BigHaus89

• Stubble
  • Ride the Spiral to the End
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2017, 12:26:16 PM »
I used to play a lot of video games until the past few years. I have just gotten a lot busier(with fun stuff) and have less desire to game now. My game time is now filled with snowboarding, mountain biking, hiking, playing music and things like that. Cell phone games have gotten surprisingly good(relative to older gen systems). I play an RPG on my phone sometimes and it is nice to be able to play for a few minutes here and there, but nothing like the time commitment that a PS4 or Xbox one require. Something to consider.

Apocalyptica602

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2017, 12:28:45 PM »
You'll tear my self-built gaming computer and Oculus Rift out of my cold dead hands.

Haha, on a serious note: I take PC gaming, VR, and simming as a pretty serious hobby. Like any hobby, taken to the logical extreme it can get incredibly pricey, but you can get 80% of the enjoyment for 20% of the cost. I'm still probably $10,000 away from being considered 'hardcore' in the community.

Dollar-per-hour it's probably one of the cheapest hobbies one can have depending on how much you play.

Buying the new Call of Duty every year for $60 and playing 20 hours before you put it down is a poor investment. But I just crossed the 600 hour mark in Path of Exile, a Free-to-Play game, and have hundreds of hours in other games like Terraria, Factorio, or Kerbal Space Program, all of which were <$20.

Anyway. Don't have too much to add to the discussion, but I am following because I do believe I play a little TOO much and it does get in the way of other things sometimes.

Frankies Girl

• Magnum Stache
  • Ghouls Just Wanna Have Funds!
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2017, 12:34:32 PM »
Nope. Still have all my games back to the original (working! With original box!) Atari 2600. I also like game sites that have emulators for games I can't find any more. It's a great hobby now since older system stuff is cheap as long as it's not rare and I have stumbled across games for under $5 at yard sales sometimes. I end up having rare stuff by accident just because it's so old. I don't buy new stuff. I don't have a custom gamer setup. I don't give a crap about online or group play.

And I'm FIREd anyway; my time is allllll my own. I can spend the whole week playing games if I wanted. I don't do that, but I could. ;)

shicky

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2017, 12:38:41 PM »
Bicycle.

Start with a one mile ride; that will only take a few minutes. Half a mile (aboout a cdn km) out and half a mile back.

Then, set a timer on one of your devices with a timer function to alert you every so often that it is time for a ride.  Extend the ride by another mile every few days.

There are many threads here about which bike to get, how to equip it and how much to pay.  I won't try to encapsulate that.

Thank you bobechs, I already cycle for my work commute so not too keen on upping it.  But perhaps you're along the right lines and when I feel the need with 'stress' I should go for a short jog

shicky

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2017, 12:40:40 PM »
The problem I noticed however was that I was craving to play it during the day, instead of get on with my most important tasks.  Has anyone experienced this?
With video games, I could sit down for a few hours and completely distract myself.  I think this was beneficial for my brain and stress levels, I wonder what people use instead of video games in this sort of scenario?

I can totally relate.  Personally, I stopped gaming around the same age (29) in large part because the way I felt about it (craving it) reminded me a lot of how I felt about alcohol (which I also quit at that age).  Certainly, some people can do it "responsibly" but I'm not one of those people.

And, re: the second part of your quote, I'm come to believe that "completely distracting myself" (by any means) isn't the best way to deal with stress.  I've found meditation, hiking, something like that (allowing my thoughts / feelings to be, rather than distracting myself from them) has been much more useful.  It's not always comfortable at the time, but it has been better in the long run.

I have often wondered regarding your second piece of advice if I could make it work.  I do meditate in the mornings but sometimes I find I just spiral if I try to force it during a period of unrest.  Hiking again is something I'd love to do, unfortunately my other half has chronic fatigue so it just isnt on the cards right now :(

Going to try and get set up with camping though and just keep the car nearby, see it that has success

MarioMario

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2017, 12:43:45 PM »
Board games!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

shicky

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2017, 01:29:35 PM »
Board games!

yup already have a few but they're more for scheduled events or at least when you have a number of people around.  Can't really get home from a long day and get right into that

MarioMario

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2017, 01:30:08 PM »
Board games!

yup already have a few but they're more for scheduled events or at least when you have a number of people around.  Can't really get home from a long day and get right into that
Not with that attitude!

Infraredhead

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Infraredhead Art
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2017, 02:04:07 PM »
I used to be an avid gamer and played World of Warcrack.  I realized after a while that I had not been exercising like I should and had not been on any bicycle adventures.  I also realized that I had not picked up an actual book to read in quite some time nor worked on any paintings or indulged in any of my other hobbies.  Giving up gaming was good for me but I truly understand losing yourself in an imaginary world. I would suggest exercise and reading.  It is much easier to pick up a book and put it down.  You don't have guild mates telling you to skip dinner with your family and spend time with them online.  LOL

jeromedawg

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2017, 02:34:45 PM »
I sold a TON of dvds/cds years ago after giving up on [PC] gaming. Probably the worst offender was Diablo II - countless hours poured into that game. I Ebayed most of the games as one big lot. To this point I've purchased a few PC games digitally here and there but they don't consume my time nearly as much as before. Sometimes I'll go on 'gaming' streaks where my wife will just roll her eyes. Since having one kid that became rarer, and even more so now with two.

Otherwise, fishing and photography filled the place of gaming - at the time I wasn't Mustachian and definitely not minimalist, so I ended up spending $$$ on fishing and photography gear. I've sold a fair amount of fishing gear but I still have probably more than necessary (you know, it's the whole "you need to have rods and reels for each application and size" thing - especially with fly fishing nowadays). Photography I didn't go as wild and started off with DSLRs and a few lenses. After years of that I switched over to micro 4/3rds.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2017, 02:45:33 PM »
I don't play nearly as much as I used to.  I'm busy with life in general. Work, visiting family/friends, going places, car projects, social events..just don't have much time anymore. My weekends are booked until July...

FLBiker

• Handlebar Stache
    • Chop Wood Carry FIRE
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2017, 03:02:06 PM »
I'm actually the exact opposite of you, this post has made me considered gaming more so that I can have a distraction as my mind is too focused on work right now.  I don't think there is anything wrong with gaming, but there are obviously better uses of time.

In order of worst to best, here are some basic activity types:
Consuming: TV, Going to sporting events, Going to concerts
Active Immersion, no objective value: Video games, playing poker, playing sports, playing music
Producing: Crafts, writing music, writing books/blogs, gardening, home improvement

MMM recommends you move from consuming to producing.

Boy, I may be opening a can of worms here, but I have a hard time equating those things in "Active immersion".  Playing video games and playing music don't seem to be on the same level of "production vs consumption" to me, and I have a lot of experience with both.  I guess you could argue that playing video games is building a skill (similarly to playing guitar or singing) but that seems like a stretch.  And, in my experience, playing music has added a lot more value to the people around me's lives than playing video games ever did.  For example, I play music at the kid's program of my local Buddhist group, etc.  And DW enjoys it if I sing / play guitar while she's working in the kitchen.  I've never been asked to publicly play video games. :)

Similarly, I don't have a lot of experience with organized sports, but playing sports seems to bring a lot more benefit (ie fitness) than video games.

JHoward

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2017, 03:26:39 PM »
I get way less "screen time" than a lot of people I know with similar work/hobby/social schedules. Every so often I compare downtime activities with people (usually when they've noticed that I haven't seen any recent TV shows or movies and that Pokemon RPGs are the only video games I play alone). The "unusual" things that I do to relax instead are apparently: sitting down for dinner with no screen nearby even if I'm alone and even if it's just microwaved leftovers, playing with my cat, reading, and averaging 8 hours of sleep/night. The extra sleep is the biggest thing I think. 

jeromedawg

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2017, 03:27:29 PM »
I'm actually the exact opposite of you, this post has made me considered gaming more so that I can have a distraction as my mind is too focused on work right now.  I don't think there is anything wrong with gaming, but there are obviously better uses of time.

Active Immersion, no objective value: Video games, playing poker, playing sports, playing music
Producing: Crafts, writing music, writing books/blogs, gardening, home improvement

Boy, I may be opening a can of worms here, but I have a hard time equating those things in "Active immersion".  Playing video games and playing music don't seem to be on the same level of "production vs consumption" to me, and I have a lot of experience with both.  I guess you could argue that playing video games is building a skill (similarly to playing guitar or singing) but that seems like a stretch.  And, in my experience, playing music has added a lot more value to the people around me's lives than playing video games ever did.  For example, I play music at the kid's program of my local Buddhist group, etc.  And DW enjoys it if I sing / play guitar while she's working in the kitchen.  I've never been asked to publicly play video games. :)

Similarly, I don't have a lot of experience with organized sports, but playing sports seems to bring a lot more benefit (ie fitness) than video games.

LOL, well certain schools now *cough* UC Irvine *cough* have registered gaming "teams" (http://www.esports.uci.edu). Seems League of Legends is the biggest one out there that can be 'profitable.' You have to be at a certain level to compete though... even the Street Fighter tournaments I hear about are crazy - guys literally just go over to each others houses and practice all day. It's pretty insane the things you might consider "time wasters" that people out there are capitalizing on, or at least attempting to (many with low success rates I'm sure). Another 'fad' I'm reminded of is mukbang, primarily started by Korean Youtubers, where they lay out a feast of inordinate amounts of food and eat all of it on camera. Most of them "review" what they're eating but it's quite sickening; on top of that, most of them are skinny (who knows maybe they work out).

PlainsWalker

• Stubble
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2017, 03:58:13 PM »
I was really into my PC gaming. I typed in /played one day on a lark and had a bit of a come to Jesus moment after seeing that the online time was tracked in months. After a little introspection I found that I was using gaming as an escape. So I actually dealt with the things I was escaping from. It was unnerving pulling the plug on something that took up so much of my time everyday. And uncomfortable actually dealing with stuff. But, now I get eight hours of sleep a night, cook, clean, finished a major remodeling project, have been studying a foreign language, bicycle commuting to work, and have actually been reading books. Looking at that list I was spending a lot of time gaming.
I know myself well enough to know that tapering doesn't do it for me. Nicotine patches to slowly reduce cravings is prolonging the agony not making it easier. Going cold turkey and just dealing with the withdrawal for a few days is what works for me. So, when I stopped gaming I laid into the remodeling project hard.

BDWW

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2017, 04:25:33 PM »

I think you're probably being a bit myopic. Multiple studies have confirmed that playing games increases problem solving, reaction time,pattern recognition and  spacial reasoning skills. There's even an active push to increase video gaming in nursing homes because it appears to increase mental sharpness and prevent age related mental decline.

That being said like almost anything, moderation is key.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/freedom-learn/201502/cognitive-benefits-playing-video-games
« Last Edit: May 01, 2017, 04:27:06 PM by BDWW »

shicky

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2017, 12:32:35 AM »
I was really into my PC gaming. I typed in /played one day on a lark and had a bit of a come to Jesus moment after seeing that the online time was tracked in months. After a little introspection I found that I was using gaming as an escape. So I actually dealt with the things I was escaping from. It was unnerving pulling the plug on something that took up so much of my time everyday. And uncomfortable actually dealing with stuff. But, now I get eight hours of sleep a night, cook, clean, finished a major remodeling project, have been studying a foreign language, bicycle commuting to work, and have actually been reading books. Looking at that list I was spending a lot of time gaming.
I know myself well enough to know that tapering doesn't do it for me. Nicotine patches to slowly reduce cravings is prolonging the agony not making it easier. Going cold turkey and just dealing with the withdrawal for a few days is what works for me. So, when I stopped gaming I laid into the remodeling project hard.

Was it obvious to you what you were escaping from?  How did you figure it out?

I guess I can be full on with being 'productive' at times.  I don't think you can be like that all the time so games became a bit of a filler or cooldown activity whenever I was overdoing it.  I know this will be a problem again so basically I'm looking for things to replace it with.  I'd say this happens once a month and a few gaming sessions happen for a couple hours over 2-3 days until I hate myself for the time wasted and get on with tasks again

Khaetra

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2017, 04:42:42 AM »
Nope, I have many things I enjoy doing and this is one of them :).

FLBiker

• Handlebar Stache
    • Chop Wood Carry FIRE
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2017, 07:36:20 AM »
I think you're probably being a bit myopic. Multiple studies have confirmed that playing games increases problem solving, reaction time,pattern recognition and  spacial reasoning skills. There's even an active push to increase video gaming in nursing homes because it appears to increase mental sharpness and prevent age related mental decline.

Good point -- I was definitely being narrowminded in thinking that playing video games only builds skill in playing video games.  Thanks!

(I realize this wasn't asked of me, but I have a similar experience.)  For me, it has been gradual.  When I initially stopped drinking / doing drugs / gaming (which all happened at more or less the same time -- I am NOT equating the three), some of the "bigger" things that I was escaping from became obvious.  At the same time, I started doing other "healthier" escapes that obscured some of the subtler things.  For example, I got really into comedy podcasts (actually, that started a couple of years before I got sober, but still).  So instead of being alone with my thoughts / feelings, I would listen to funny things all the time.  Over the intervening years (10+) I identified more of these "healthy" escapes and curbed them, and subtler things came up.

Fundamentally, it's been quite simple.  Give myself time to be alone with my thoughts / feelings, and stuff will come up.  Please note that I DON'T mean dwelling on, re-telling stories of past events, worrying about the future, etc.  I haven't found value in doing that.  I'm talking about noticing thoughts / feelings, identifying them, and letting them go about their way.  Investigating them can be helpful (are they true, are they beneficial, etc.) but only when I can do that without getting pulled into the story.  And, for me, meditation has been essential in learning how to do this.  And I've found being part of a local meditation group to be extremely helpful.  I also really like going on silent retreats, as this can allow stuff to come up that ordinary busy-ness can obscure.

Oh, and I've also found that I can also use "being productive" as an escape.  That's a really persistent one for me!

PlainsWalker

• Stubble
« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2017, 08:15:30 AM »

Glaringly obvious. It's a good thing it wasn't a snake, because it would have bitten me. I had been on a serious keeping busy treadmill, so I stepped off and took a road trip. I spent a week driving, camping, hiking, and visiting some friends I hadn't seen in years. I had plenty of time to think, reset, and re-evaluate. When I got back I picked up some activities and dropped others that didn't bring value and scheduled a lot more unstructured time into my schedule.

sonjak

• Stubble
« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2017, 08:28:24 AM »
I was really into gaming (with my husband at the time) for several years.  I was around your age when I too decided to quit. 

It was tough because I enjoyed many things about gaming and I was very invested in my characters (one in particular felt pretty real to me) and their skills.  What helped me quit, and also gave me the path of what to do next, was that he was much better at everything than I was.  (After all I had spent MANY hours increasing his skills while mine atrophied.)  Example, he spent all this time running around, traveling and fighting (total badass) and I rarely got outside besides to go to work.  He could cook amazing, healing meals and we usually got takeout because I was too tired or busy playing to cook.  He could craft all sorts of stuff; me not so much.

I decided to increase MY cooking skills to 300+.  I decided to get off my lazy butt and walk and see nature in RL, not just simulated in game.  To travel.  To try making things and just in general to live in RL.  It helped to look at it as RL quests.

coynemoney

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2017, 08:51:34 AM »
I haven't given up gaming but I've essentially given up buying games. I was spending way too much money on new games/consoles/DLC stuff. In the past year I sold almost all of my old consoles and games I didn't love and I've been sticking to free to play games or games that I could for really cheap in Steam sales or whatever.

Tbh, I don't really see the value in losing gaming as a hobby unless it's a crazy addiction. I have many hobbies (working out, playing guitar,  fishing, bowling, golfing to name a few) but having a few beers and playing DOTA or something for a few hours is still fun for me and doesn't have less "value" than learning a new song on guitar or reading a self help book.

Learner

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2017, 03:28:44 AM »
I found I was playing too many video games in university, so I took up making chainmaille.  It was a bit of a self-limiting activity - I could only work so long before my hands hurt from the pressure of the tools.  And as a bonus, I ended up with something to show for my time. 

The first piece I did was a coif that took about 7000-10000 rings (that I made myself from a spool of wire).  Figuring out the production method and working within the limitations of the medium (how to expand / contract rows) were great problem-solving distractions.

MoonLiteNite

• Bristles
« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2017, 05:16:42 AM »
Nope never will!

Gaming is my time killer and hobby!

GetItRight

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2017, 05:40:48 PM »
I have, after the verbal thrashing I got from my SO the first time she came home and found me playing a real time strategy game. Apparently it's a bad thing and only for children. I did not play particularly often, but typically through the winter when I didn't have motivation for either home improvement or automotive projects and weather makes the thing I truly enjoy impractical or impossible. Apparently some flight simulators are okay though, if it doesn't appear too fun at a glance... So I do FSX from time to time as it's cheaper than a real plane.

Now during down time when I don't feel like doing projects or any sort of work I retreat to the garage to imbibe and browse the internet or clean my workbench or other clutter. Not sure it's a change for the better, but I get less grief for that than playing strategy games and it's a way to relax and unwind.

Mezzie

• Pencil Stache
    • Mezzie Learns
« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2017, 02:38:09 AM »
I'll probably always have a couple weeks of gaming binge time/year, but it's not something I can keep up for long simply because my hands are messed up. That limits my daily gaming time even when I am binging, so things can never quite get out of hand. That said, my whole body is messed up, so sometimes it's fun to have a character do things I can't, especially during times when even the simplest activities hurt really badly.

If I get far enough into a game to start grinding (say, Elder Scrolls), I generally listen to an audiobook or podcast while I play the mindless stuff. I have trouble doing nothing when I listen to those, so if the gym, driving, or gardening aren't options at the time, a little gathering or leveling up can actually keep me focused on the program.

There is one nice reward in gaming: a lot of my students are gamers, and we like quite a few of the same games. It's a nice little way to find some common ground early in the year and to share game recommendations.

As far as what I do with time I may have previously spent gaming: read, go to school, write... There's no end to ways to fill my time.

And while I'm on a thread with gamers... Who here has read Ready Player One? I thought it was fun. :)

Apocalyptica602

• Bristles
« Reply #30 on: May 05, 2017, 06:36:58 AM »
I have, after the verbal thrashing I got from my SO the first time she came home and found me playing a real time strategy game. Apparently it's a bad thing and only for children. I did not play particularly often, but typically through the winter when I didn't have motivation for either home improvement or automotive projects and weather makes the thing I truly enjoy impractical or impossible. Apparently some flight simulators are okay though, if it doesn't appear too fun at a glance... So I do FSX from time to time as it's cheaper than a real plane.

Now during down time when I don't feel like doing projects or any sort of work I retreat to the garage to imbibe and browse the internet or clean my workbench or other clutter. Not sure it's a change for the better, but I get less grief for that than playing strategy games and it's a way to relax and unwind.

Jeez, I feel for you. Not my SO or anything but my roommate in college used to give me shit about playing video games too much and how it's a waste of time and makes you lazy. I chuckled and mentioned that he sits on the couch and watches TV for hours every day, which doesn't even require any interaction.

I don't think it fully got through to him, because hours of TV a day is much more socially acceptable, but I didn't hear any more from him on the matter.

patchyfacialhair

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #31 on: May 05, 2017, 07:57:50 AM »
The last console I owned was the original Xbox. My brother and I agreed to sell it about 10 years ago and neither of us have regretted it. I replaced it with playing sports and listening to music, and he replaced it with playing music.

This was long before I was even remotely concerned about Mustachianism or living life to the fullest. It was one of those things where the gaming was really just something to do, and didn't make me any happier at the end of the day. After not playing for a few months, it was easy to just clear it out. I recognize that others have a different relationship to gaming, but for me it never went past "hey this is mildly interesting."