Author Topic: Have you ditched health insurance for "health sharing"??  (Read 2600 times)

retiringearly

• Bristles
Have you ditched health insurance for "health sharing"??
« on: June 13, 2017, 06:08:55 PM »
I recently read an article on esimoney.com (I hope that isn't a dirty word here) about health sharing.

I am VERY interested in this subject.

Have any of you participated in health sharing organizations instead of traditional insurance?

Your thoughts?  Experiences?  Pros/cons?

Thanks for your input!

maizefolk

• Walrus Stache

retiringearly

• Bristles
Re: Have you ditched health insurance for "health sharing"??
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2017, 07:20:47 PM »
I haven't personally, but here are a couple of older threads on the subject that might also be of interest to you.

https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/welcome-to-the-forum/health-insurance-alternative/

https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/ask-a-mustachian/switch-from-medical-insurance-to-healthcare-sharing-ministry/

THANKS!

I used the search function but it just kept spinning with no results.

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2017, 07:40:28 PM »
I don't think entrusting church goers with my contingency plans for the most catastrophic scenarios is a sound idea. They have a rather long track record of relying on disproved assumptions and ignoring truths they find inconvenient. Insurance companies have their issues, but they are regulated and answer to the rule of (contract) law.

High Income Parent

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2017, 09:14:02 PM »
We ditched traditional insurance about two years ago and have been happy with the coverage but thankfully  we haven't met our max share amount so I can't tell you how it would be if that was the case.
Our family plan is about 1/6 the cost of my work high deductible plan but all seven of us are in good health. We've never had a problem seeing a doctor because the PPO network the plan uses has every doctor we've ever tried to see. There aren't any well visit expenses covered.
There are a lot of restriction though and they don't cover most pre existing conditions. If you are in a car accident and "drunk" they don't have to cover any healthcare costs. If you have head trauma while riding your bike without a helmet they don't have to cover medical expenses. If you have an occasional cigar or smoke at all they could theroretically drop you if they found out. The whole reason they are cheaper is because the risk pool is much lower, at least in my plan (Medishare)
Anyway, I hope that helps with a little first hand knowledge. It's worked well for us but it's not for everyone.

Tom @ HIP