Author Topic: Have any Mustachian Career Suggestions?  (Read 9642 times)

McStacherson

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Have any Mustachian Career Suggestions?
« on: December 20, 2013, 04:26:12 PM »
Hey everyone,

Recently I've been considering a career change, but the problem is I have no idea what else to do! I hate my job, but the job security and benefits are especially hard to give up when I don't have alternatives and my job skills aren't very marketable. I may wind up staying, but I feel it's a disservice to myself to not at least explore other options.

I was hoping that if I got some career suggestions to consider it may help me, and maybe others, find something better. I've read MM's "50 jobs over $50k.."http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2013/07/25/50-jobs-over-50000-without-a-degree-part-1/, but didn't see anything that piqued my interest much; plus going back to school isn't out of the question for me if the ROI is good enough.

Personal factors to consider:

- 29 y/o, Single, Male, B.A. in Liberal Arts, A.A. in Spanish
- ~$170k net worth (all investments & cash), $4300 gross per month, ~$1k expenses per month (very low COL area)
- Willing to return to school if necessary to get marketable skills (I still have my Post 9/11 GI Bill from the military i.e. free tuition + monthly housing allowance)
- Willing to relocate anywhere, but partial to the SF Bay Area, Seattle, and Colorado if possible
- I have very little mathematical aptitude, so most STEM degrees would probably be out unfortunately

I'm interested in hearing about any high paying career that will get someone to FI the fastest. I feel like career possibilities aren't talked about here nearly as often as their importance merits, so I think this thread would benefit a lot of people here.

Thanks!

Russ

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Have any Mustachian Career Suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2013, 04:55:22 PM »
maybe figure out what you dislike about your job first?

Eric

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2013, 05:53:12 PM »
That's a pretty broad question.  Is the problem your job in general, or your specific job?  Is it the work that sucks, or the people you work with?  I'd definitely recommend trying to find a new job in a similar field or using your current skills before deciding to completely blow everything up and start over.

If your goal is FI, I'm not sure the path of not earning or saving any money for 4 years and then starting at an entry or near-entry level position is the fastest way to get there.  Or it could be, depending on what job you want to train for.  What are your non-work interests/activities?

McStacherson

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2013, 06:25:31 PM »
maybe figure out what you dislike about your job first?

It's just about everything except for the pay and benefits. No job satisfaction, very little/gradual room for advancement, management is mostly inept, coworkers are dull, and location is bad (~1500 miles from friends & family, 3 hrs away from a major city/cultural resources)

That's a pretty broad question.  Is the problem your job in general, or your specific job?  Is it the work that sucks, or the people you work with?  I'd definitely recommend trying to find a new job in a similar field or using your current skills before deciding to completely blow everything up and start over.

If your goal is FI, I'm not sure the path of not earning or saving any money for 4 years and then starting at an entry or near-entry level position is the fastest way to get there.  Or it could be, depending on what job you want to train for.  What are your non-work interests/activities?

Interests...I've gotten really interested in finance lately, so I was tentatively thinking about something like a financial advisor. I also like languages/learning about foreign cultures and plan on applying for a State Department Foreign Service Officer job (extremely competitive). I've considered going to law school and then be a JAG officer, which I need to decide on soon since the age limit is 35. I've read a little about data science and have been taking udacity courses to learn more about it.

Sorry about the broadness, I guess I was hoping this would turn into a "here is my cool $100k+ job and here are the requirements for entry" thread. I'm really interested in seeing what else is out there and what people are doing to make great livings. 

Emg03063

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2013, 06:28:11 PM »
You are <3 years from FI by my quick calculations, assuming your costs wouldn't increase without working, so you don't really need a career, unless you have a desire to increase your cost of living.  So, world's really your oyster unless your job is so unbearable you can't fathom sucking it up for 3 years, which means the question really is, what do you want to do?  Consider starting a side hustle and see what you enjoy?  You can work on a CFP on the side, start as an agent for a financial planner and get paid for your sales.

CanuckExpat

• Magnum Stache
    • Freedom35
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2013, 06:29:33 PM »
What job are you doing now, what don't you enjoy about it , would would you enjoy doing?

Have you read Bakari's recent thread about his new job at home? If you take that even further, you might be very popular, and make good money

Russ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2013, 06:38:03 PM »
Sorry about the broadness, I guess I was hoping this would turn into a "here is my cool $100k+ job and here are the requirements for entry" thread. I'm really interested in seeing what else is out there and what people are doing to make great livings. 

Alright, well I design and build manufacturing tools for high-end carbon fiber bicycle frames and components. Not nearly $100k/year, but I wouldn't trade it for any other job right now. I got in with a 4-year engineering degree, a few design program certs, two internships at other companies, and 2 years assisting and eventually more or less running the student machine shop on campus.

I don't recommend the "grass is greener" approach of finding a career though. It sounds like everything but the location has the potential to be fixed while staying where you are.

CanuckExpat

• Magnum Stache
    • Freedom35
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2013, 06:48:30 PM »

Here are some threads where a lot more people have answered than will see it here:
make $100,000+ a year, what is your job?: http://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comments/1ho7on/redditors_who_make_100000_a_year_what_is_your_job/
high paying jobs that don't require college: http://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comments/1qw0r7/what_are_some_high_paying_jobs_that_dont_require/
jobs that pay well and do not require a college degree: http://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comments/1erbxo/
job that the average person doesn't know exists: http://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comments/1ao38p/do_you_have_a_job_that_the_average_person_doesnt/

Let us know what you find

McStacherson

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2013, 07:31:32 PM »
You are <3 years from FI by my quick calculations, assuming your costs wouldn't increase without working, so you don't really need a career, unless you have a desire to increase your cost of living.  So, world's really your oyster unless your job is so unbearable you can't fathom sucking it up for 3 years, which means the question really is, what do you want to do?  Consider starting a side hustle and see what you enjoy?  You can work on a CFP on the side, start as an agent for a financial planner and get paid for your sales.

I've definitely thought about that, but I just don't see myself being able to sustain this cost of living given that I have $0 in home equity, will have additional expenses like healthcare,  possible wife and kids, travel, a habit of spending more when not working, and wanting to relocate.

The CFP thing I'll definitely look into doing on the side though. Thanks.

McStacherson

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2013, 07:32:47 PM »
What job are you doing now, what don't you enjoy about it , would would you enjoy doing?

Have you read Bakari's recent thread about his new job at home? If you take that even further, you might be very popular, and make good money

No, I'll take a look though. Thanks.

Cooperd0g

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2013, 07:42:53 PM »
I would be very careful about law school as an option. Even if you get into a state school or Yellow ribbon program the job prospects when you get out blow unless you are pretty confident you could get in with JAG and are okay with going back in the military. You'll start out as an O-2 or O-3 probably and get around $60k, which is more than you make now and then you won't have to wait long before pay goes up and your time to FI will drop considerably.

How about Alaska crab fisherman? Seriously they can make $90k per year to start if you can hack it. No prior training or skills required. The article I read recently said that half or more of newbies never come back after their first 2 week stint though.

McStacherson

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2013, 07:43:19 PM »

Alright, well I design and build manufacturing tools for high-end carbon fiber bicycle frames and components. Not nearly $100k/year, but I wouldn't trade it for any other job right now. I got in with a 4-year engineering degree, a few design program certs, two internships at other companies, and 2 years assisting and eventually more or less running the student machine shop on campus.

I don't recommend the "grass is greener" approach of finding a career though. It sounds like everything but the location has the potential to be fixed while staying where you are.

Very cool! Thanks. It's inspiring to see people doing what they enjoy.

This is definitely not a decision I'm taking lightly given the financial repercussions. That's why I'm trying to consider as many possibilities as I can find in order to make a more informed decision.

Here are some threads where a lot more people have answered than will see it here:
make $100,000+ a year, what is your job?: http://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comments/1ho7on/redditors_who_make_100000_a_year_what_is_your_job/
high paying jobs that don't require college: http://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comments/1qw0r7/what_are_some_high_paying_jobs_that_dont_require/
jobs that pay well and do not require a college degree: http://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comments/1erbxo/
job that the average person doesn't know exists: http://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comments/1ao38p/do_you_have_a_job_that_the_average_person_doesnt/

Let us know what you find

Canuck, these are amazing! Thanks! This was definitely what I was looking for!

McStacherson

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2013, 07:50:56 PM »
I would be very careful about law school as an option. Even if you get into a state school or Yellow ribbon program the job prospects when you get out blow unless you are pretty confident you could get in with JAG and are okay with going back in the military. You'll start out as an O-2 or O-3 probably and get around $60k, which is more than you make now and then you won't have to wait long before pay goes up and your time to FI will drop considerably.

How about Alaska crab fisherman? Seriously they can make $90k per year to start if you can hack it. No prior training or skills required. The article I read recently said that half or more of newbies never come back after their first 2 week stint though.

I'm certainly up for even the most unorthodox of jobs. My only concern is the risk to life and limb and whether the risk is worth the reward. I do like the flexibility of doing something like that and then still having the off season to work towards another professional goal.

Bakari

• Handlebar Stache
  • Veggie Powered Handyman
    • The Flamboyant Introvert
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2014, 05:04:16 PM »

I assume you are talking about being the maintenance manager for my apartment building.  Its a pretty good gig, not much work, flexible hours, and a zero minute commute, but unfortunately it doesn't actually pay anything, it just reduces rent.

Khan

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2014, 07:37:17 PM »
You sound kinda like me Mcstacherson(even down to the choice of where to live). I'm 26, have a decent stash built up, and plan on quitting my job in the couple of years to refocus my life's energies on retraining(GI bill) to something more satisfying(and likely pays more, but my pay is good now so that's mostly a wash), regardless of the FI consequences(I could probably retire shortly after 30 without quitting).

Just... what are we here for? Getting FI is all well and good, but being miserable for years on end to get there is less then appealing. I think you and me, we're in a position most wish they could be in. The world belongs to those able and willing to take a risk.

Those Reddit links are interesting though.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2014, 02:34:41 AM »

I assume you are talking about being the maintenance manager for my apartment building.  Its a pretty good gig, not much work, flexible hours, and a zero minute commute, but unfortunately it doesn't actually pay anything, it just reduces rent.

I think the Canuck was talking about the other one  :P

jrhampt

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2014, 12:09:57 PM »
Just a quick note: while kids are certainly an expense, a wife is not an expense.  A wife is an asset.  A wife can more than double your household income and nearly halve your share of rent and utilities.