Author Topic: Have a diamond, need the rest!  (Read 15621 times)

Jeremy E.

• Handlebar Stache
Have a diamond, need the rest!
« on: September 04, 2015, 03:42:25 PM »
Hello everyone,

I'm planning on proposing in the future and am now starting the creation of a fancy ring.
So far I have a .83 carot 5.97mm amora gem(fake diamond).
I'm hoping to find a 3 stone setting that has a spot for the amora gem, + 2 sapphires that I will also buy, I'm thinking 4-4.5mm sapphires. I'd also like the setting to have mini diamonds in the front of it.

Does anyone know a good place to buy settings? I haven't had much luck. I don't care if its 14k, 18k, palladium or platinum.
I also need to find a good place to buy sapphires, but will wait to buy them until after I have the setting so I know what size I need.

I found a 3 stone wedding ring on ebay that has cubic zarconias in it and the center stone is 6.2mm with 2 4.5mm, it's $160 and 14k white gold. I need to find a jeweler too, I will find one and ask him if I could buy this and replace the gems, but I'm sure he'd prefer working on one made to have gems added.

Jeremy E.

• Handlebar Stache

Thegoblinchief

Re: Have a diamond, need the rest!
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2015, 06:10:31 AM »
Talked to any goldsmiths?

Failing that (or if the price is too much) reach out and see if any local schools have a jewelry program. Or anyone in your social network does jewelry for a hobby. Many hobby jewelers would love to have a project with gold but can't afford it.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2015, 06:41:47 AM »
Talk to a jeweler I had my ring custom made for my wife its basically that exact setting just all diamonds.  Alot of the smaller time guys will give you a great deal.

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
  • Lovin' the Mustachian life!
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2015, 06:54:57 AM »
The setting needs to accommodate a 6mm stone. If it's built for a 7mm stone, no dice. Just a tip. And congrats!!

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2015, 06:56:06 AM »
I recommend going here
http://ringmaven.com

The blogger is a mustachian and she knows quite a bit about jewellery and where to source it :)

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2015, 09:31:38 AM »
Don't want to hijack the thread or get into the convoluted discussions about rings that have been on other threads: But just wondering if you've discussed the ring with your SO...what are her thoughts, etc.

Jeremy E.

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2015, 12:10:46 AM »
I think I will surprise her with a ring rather than talk to her about it, which probably isn't smart, but it's the route i'm taking.

I found a great setting, but it's pretty expensive, $1040
https://www.etsy.com/listing/126183423/060ct-three-stone-sapphire-diamond?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=ring setting sapphire&ref=sr_gallery_37
I will talk to 2 jewelers on saturday and ask their opinions and see what they charge for things.

What's the best way to find out someones ring size? I know her height/weight and her hands seem to be proportionately correct.

JJNL

• Bristles
  • Zuinigheid met vlijt bouwt huizen als kastelen
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2015, 04:41:51 AM »
Does she regularly wear rings? If so: sneak out a ring of hers that goes on the correct finger while she's not wearing it and having it measured / measuring it yourself. If she's not a ring wearer at all you would either have to find some excuse to ask / have it measured (like: I want to surprise you for *something other than proposal* - birthday? Anniversary?) or take a gamble and have it resized if necessary.

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2015, 08:28:50 AM »
I think you are making this more complicated than you need to.
First of all, I would seriously ask you to get her feedback and input before spending alot of time and money on a ring. At least to extent asking her to share pics of rings she likes.
2nd find a jeweler you trust. They can source both stock and custom settings depending on your budget, as well as the rest of the stones that would go into the setting.

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2015, 12:18:54 PM »
+1 partgypsy.  I think you very carefully and subtly need to try to find out her feelings about a "fake diamond" also. Based on multiple replies on other threads, I know that

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2015, 12:20:10 PM »
Sorry...didn't finish above post. Meant to say...I know that feelings vary about real diamonds, cubic Zs, moissanite, etc.

letired

• Pencil Stache
    • Needs More Glitter
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2015, 12:50:37 PM »
+infinity on getting her thoughts/feelings on stones and styles.

Examples:
- anyone tries to hand me a ring with a diamond in it is getting a kick in the teeth. I think they are overpriced and virtually impossible to source ethically.
- For years, I did lab work, so any ring with any sort of protrusions would be relegated to the back of a drawer because it would rip my gloves all day.
- For multiple friends, if anyone tried to give them a ring made of material that was not ethically sourced would get similar teeth-kicking

This is one of the things you have to prove you've been listening and paying attention. If it is something she is going to be wearing for the next few decades, take some time to make sure it'll work in every day life.

Good luck!

Merrie

• Bristles
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2015, 07:31:50 PM »
I completely agree with making sure that you get her feedback on styles. Of course, maybe you asked her best friend or her sister, or she has been tearing ring pictures out of magazines and leaving them on your desk or something, so you already know. But if not, I'd tread carefully. You want to be really sure.

Or, buy a $15 junk jewelry ring at Target, propose with that, and then put together plans for the actual engagement ring together.

Jeremy E.

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2015, 08:07:51 AM »
If she has a problem with the Amora gem and wants a real diamond, then I probably don't want to marry her anyway, but shes fine with mustachianism. I'm going to surprise her with the ring and she's going to love it.

Roboturner

• Pencil Stache
  • No Snacks, Just Math
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2015, 10:55:20 AM »
property room . com  - sells estate and closeout jewelry and loose stones in auction format, paid just under $150 for a $4000 ring.

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2015, 11:13:56 AM »
If she has a problem with the Amora gem and wants a real diamond, then I probably don't want to marry her anyway, but shes fine with mustachianism. I'm going to surprise her with the ring and she's going to love it.

Yeah, I've heard that one before. My husband is a sweetheart, but he and I have completely different taste in jewelry.
She is going to be the one wearing it, not you. Some people do not like wearing synthetics/simulants (for 1 the czs eventually abrade and need to be replaced). Some people do not like wearing diamonds. And some people would prefer a plain band than ones with gemstones/diamonds in it. This is not even getting into the whole design differences of solitaire vs multi-stone settings, high versus low set, prong or no prong setting, metal color and shapes of stones, modern versus classic versus antique style. Unless you have talked to her you won't know she will "love it". I personally wouldn't want to marry a guy who thinks my preferences are unimportant and irrelevant.

Jeremy E.

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2015, 11:14:38 AM »
property room . com  - sells estate and closeout jewelry and loose stones in auction format, paid just under $150 for a $4000 ring.
Wish I had looked at this before I bought an Amora Gem, I could of got a real diamond for the same price probably, but not that I have this gem I'm not sure I want to go for one of these

monstermonster

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2015, 11:18:14 AM »
I seriously seriously recommend having her participate in the process for the setting/ring. It's sweet you want to surprise her, but surprise her with the proposal, not with the thing she's going to wear daily for the rest of her life. You'd be surprised what preferences you might not know she has unless you regularly talk in depth about jewelry.

neo von retorch

• Magnum Stache
    • Fi@retorch - personal finance tracking
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2015, 11:28:55 AM »
My wife basically picked out her own ring in this process, on www.idonowidont.com and she is very, very happy with her ring. The proposal... well that was up to me, and she loved that, too :) Don't overestimate the value of "surprise", particularly in this case.

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2015, 11:39:00 AM »
I have no idea how much the Amora gem cost, but if it was inexpensive, get a matching one, and have the pair mounted as diamond studs.

Jeremy E.

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2015, 12:03:52 PM »
http://ringmaven.com/2014/12/30/this-is-why-he-should-pick-your-ring/
Here is a post from an expert, also a mustachian, claiming that the guy should pick out the ring. I had already decided this is what I'd be doing before reading this post, and also have said that I'm surprising her with the ring already. I don't understand why people are so adamantly trying to get me to change my mind, it's really rather annoying.

Jeremy E.

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2015, 12:04:29 PM »
I have no idea how much the Amora gem cost, but if it was inexpensive, get a matching one, and have the pair mounted as diamond studs.
It was rather expensive, but it's the nicest fake diamond on the market. It sounds weird saying nicest fake diamond haha. Also I got the smallest one they offer, and they don't have any as small as the one I bought in stock currently.

Khaetra

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2015, 12:04:54 PM »

Yeah, I've heard that one before. My husband is a sweetheart, but he and I have completely different taste in jewelry.
She is going to be the one wearing it, not you. Some people do not like wearing synthetics/simulants (for 1 the czs eventually abrade and need to be replaced). Some people do not like wearing diamonds. And some people would prefer a plain band than ones with gemstones/diamonds in it. This is not even getting into the whole design differences of solitaire vs multi-stone settings, high versus low set, prong or no prong setting, metal color and shapes of stones, modern versus classic versus antique style. Unless you have talked to her you won't know she will "love it". I personally wouldn't want to marry a guy who thinks my preferences are unimportant and irrelevant.

+ 1000.  I told my ex that I didn't want a diamond and that I didn't want an engagement ring period.  I would never wear it since I was working in a kitchen and the thought of losing something like that would just make me sick.  He buys me one anyway.  I only wore it on our wedding day, then promptly put it back in the jewelry box.  Don't assume she will "love it", as the chances are she won't.  Ask her before you do anything else and for heaven's sake make sure she would be alright with a 'fake' diamond!  Like others have said, she is one wearing it, not you and if she is going to wear something everyday for years to come I am sure she will want to love it, not wear it just because she feels she has to and hates it.

KMMK

• Handlebar Stache
    • Meena Kestirke Insurance
« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2015, 12:08:21 PM »
Here is a post from an expert, also a mustachian, claiming that the guy should pick out the ring. I had already decided this is what I'd be doing before reading this post, and also have said that I'm surprising her with the ring already. I don't understand why people are so adamantly trying to get me to change my mind, it's really rather annoying.

Well, at least you're not marrying any of us. I agree with the others. I would not want a surprise expensive ring without my input.

neo von retorch

• Magnum Stache
    • Fi@retorch - personal finance tracking
« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2015, 12:16:15 PM »

A quote from an expert that said she was happy to pick her ring out with her husband!

1. Really don't care if the ring is still all about her. The proposal itself was "my idea" and "my execution" but guess what? It was still all about her. It was about everyone in her life that cares about her, how special she is, and of course how I want to spend my life with her.

2. She doesn't have to love the ring ONLY because I picked it - it's a ring we both had input on. We made decisions together - even tough ones like forgoing Tiffany because it doesn't fit with our big picture financial ideals.

3. She was still surprised by the proposal, and never saw the ring in the flesh until that moment. And she wasn't unpleasantly surprised by a ring that wasn't her style.

4. She knew how much it cost, but she was very happy to get a ring she feels is so perfect for her for such a great price.

Hey - you are making your own decisions. We know that. You don't have to change your mind because we ganged up on you and forced you to. It's just advice, which you came here for. We suspect you have not bought rings like this before, so going on your level of experience (0) you might be inclined to at least carefully consider the advice of those with a tiny bit more experience (1), particularly those on the receiving end. In the end, it's your decision, but we are providing reasons that are valid for possibly taking another path.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2015, 12:19:08 PM by neogodless »

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2015, 02:15:22 PM »
One of my relatives bought a nice diamond and just proposed with that diamond set in a plain gold ring. The idea was that they then could go together to the jeweler to re-set the diamond in the  "real" setting that she could pick out to her own taste. I always thought this idea preserved the surprise of the proposal, the thrill of a nice diamond (she liked them), and the thoughtfulness that she could pick the a setting she liked.  They've been married 25 years now.

(Just another idea for OP to consider, since we're all bossing him around and driving him crazy on this thread.)       : D  :D  :D

Malone

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2015, 02:59:11 PM »
No need to get annoyed, you opened the door by posting on an internet forum. People are just trying to give advice because the best case scenario of a complete surprise doesn't surpass the worst case scenario of her not liking the ring and either being silent for eternity or having an awkward conversation with you. We're not your girlfriend, obviously, so just take the advice how you want. Looks like people provided some good options, good luck and congrats!

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #28 on: September 08, 2015, 06:38:16 PM »
Yes, OP, wishing you all the best and hoping it all goes really, really well.

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #29 on: September 08, 2015, 06:39:54 PM »
I should have said Jeremy. Wishing you all the best, Jeremy. And my name's Elizabeth, in case we are ever at an MMM meet up or anything like that.

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #30 on: September 09, 2015, 02:15:13 PM »
yes good luck with the proposal!

Jeremy E.

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2015, 12:09:22 PM »
Taking these 3 pictures to a local jeweller who can do custom engagement rings and asking if he/she can do these with sapphire side stones, and how much they would cost in Platinum/Palladium/14k white gold.

Jeremy E.

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #32 on: September 11, 2015, 02:04:07 PM »
My jeweler is far too expensive for making custom rings, but I might have him mount stones for me. I'll call David Klass and get some quotes from them, if I don't like it i'll buy a cheapo setting and have my jeweler mount my Amora Gem in it.

Jeremy E.

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #33 on: September 12, 2015, 04:55:50 PM »
David Klass gave me some very reasonable quotes and I will be having him make me a Platinum Setting. I'm also leaning towards blue diamonds over sapphires now as well.

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #34 on: September 12, 2015, 06:39:11 PM »
Sounds lovely. Why blue diamonds over blue sapphires?

Jeremy E.

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #35 on: September 12, 2015, 08:40:57 PM »
Sounds lovely. Why blue diamonds over blue sapphires?
I think my girlfriend would prefer them, she likes the color of the ocean and i was able to find 2 matching stunning and reasonable blue diamonds similar to her favorite color.

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #36 on: September 13, 2015, 03:42:09 AM »
Oh my gosh. Just tell her that when you give her the ring and I think she will melt.

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #37 on: September 13, 2015, 05:26:58 PM »
Oh my gosh. Just tell her that when you give her the ring and I think she will melt.

+1

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #38 on: September 13, 2015, 05:28:00 PM »
David Klass gave me some very reasonable quotes and I will be having him make me a Platinum Setting. I'm also leaning towards blue diamonds over sapphires now as well.

Feel free to share pictures! David Klass is so well-known and highly respected in the jewellery circles I frequent... can't wait to hear about the final project! David Klass is also known for charging extremely reasonable prices :)

I am so excited for you!!! And the lucky lady! Woo woo!

Jeremy E.

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #39 on: September 15, 2015, 04:04:03 PM »
My diamonds and first drawing from David Klass

Jeremy E.

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #40 on: September 15, 2015, 04:07:06 PM »
So far I've spent $900 on my 6mm Amora Gem,
$220 on my 2 4.2mm HTHP color treated blue diamond side stones
Plan on spending about $1100 for David Klass to create a Platinum setting and mount my gems in it.
Total planned prcie: $2,220

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
Have a diamond, need the rest!
« Reply #41 on: September 17, 2015, 04:40:50 PM »
Lovely!!! Those diamonds are a great bargain, and gorgeous! Where are they from again?
« Last Edit: September 17, 2015, 04:44:09 PM by lifejoy »

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #42 on: September 17, 2015, 04:43:30 PM »
This is the David Klass design I'm saving up for. But I would prefer it to be smooth, without the engraving.

Jeremy E.

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #43 on: September 17, 2015, 04:46:46 PM »
Lovely!!! Those diamonds are a great bargain, and gorgeous! Where are they from again?
I actually bought them off Etsy and haven't actually saw them yet, they are being shipped to me though. Hopefully they are as nice as the picture looks.
Awesome design, I bet he could make it without the engraving.

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #44 on: September 21, 2015, 08:32:07 AM »

I actually bought them off Etsy and haven't actually saw them yet, they are being shipped to me though. Hopefully they are as nice as the picture looks.
Awesome design, I bet he could make it without the engraving.

Exciting! They look great in the picture :)

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #45 on: September 21, 2015, 04:06:40 PM »
And what she loves may not be so great on her finger - I have family rings I love, and they make my fingers look short and stubby and fat.  They don't get worn much, but I do love them, just not on me.  And since normally the ONLY ring we wear on the third finger of our left hand is the engagement or wedding ring, you can't get size from any other rings she wears.  The fingers on the dominant hand are usually a bit bigger than those on the other hand, they have more muscles.

And if I had thought it through, I would not have decided on the engagement ring we got - I ended up never wearing it, because of gloves in the lab, and it was really too flashy (not a big diamond but flashy) for a grad student.  When I started teaching, same thing - couldn't wear it at work.  So it is worth thinking about - would she wear it all the time, or only for special occasions, once the wedding ring is on that finger.

Jeremy E.

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #46 on: September 21, 2015, 04:57:14 PM »
And what she loves may not be so great on her finger - I have family rings I love, and they make my fingers look short and stubby and fat.  They don't get worn much, but I do love them, just not on me.  And since normally the ONLY ring we wear on the third finger of our left hand is the engagement or wedding ring, you can't get size from any other rings she wears.  The fingers on the dominant hand are usually a bit bigger than those on the other hand, they have more muscles.

And if I had thought it through, I would not have decided on the engagement ring we got - I ended up never wearing it, because of gloves in the lab, and it was really too flashy (not a big diamond but flashy) for a grad student.  When I started teaching, same thing - couldn't wear it at work.  So it is worth thinking about - would she wear it all the time, or only for special occasions, once the wedding ring is on that finger.
You can see that I've already spent $1,100 on the Amora Gem and blue diamonds, and that I've already started the design process with David Klass, and still people are trying to convince me to change my mind? I'm already assuming that she'll only wear the ring on weekends, as she's getting her doctorate to be a veterinarian and probably won't be able to wear it at school/work. I'm okay with that. I'll talk to her about what she wants for a wedding band, maybe she'll wear that more often, I'm thinking a plain platinum wedding band probably but I'll let her decide.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2015, 04:58:58 PM by Jeremy E. »

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #47 on: September 22, 2015, 06:16:07 AM »
I told my DH that I might not wear my e-ring very often, so he didn't even have to get me one. He told me, "Then I'll get you something pretty for in your jewellery box!"

Turns out, I wear it all the time :P

Go figure!

Jeremy E.

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #48 on: October 25, 2015, 08:32:55 PM »
David Klass finished my ring and will ship it to me tomorrow!

birdie55

• Stubble
« Reply #49 on: October 25, 2015, 09:01:16 PM »
Your ring is lovely.

I have a diamond ring with the same setting, I love it.  Simple but elegant. 

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!