Author Topic: Has Anyone used Amica for car/house insurance?  (Read 5241 times)

LVBRN

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Has Anyone used Amica for car/house insurance?
« on: April 20, 2017, 02:30:12 PM »
So I got an email saying my auto policy was increasing to 182/mo. It had previously been 162/mo for our two cars full comprehensive.  I've been meaning to get around to investigating lower insurance further, just hadn't done it yet.  I currently have allstate and I emailed my agent, and he basically said there was nothing to do despite me not having any claims etc,.  I did a quick google search and Amica insurance came up with good reviews.  I printed off the projected coverages and compared them and as far as I can tell, they are extremely similar in coverage--and It would save me about $130/mo I think to switch.

Amica gave me an online quote (haven't talked to anyone yet)- of $109/mo for similar coverage auto, home $90/mo

Currently I pay with Allstate- 182/mo (starting this month), and $150/mo again with similar coverage.

Has anyone heard of or used Amica?  How does it work when you change your home owners insurance half way through the year?  Anything you see that I'm missing before I do this?

Nothlit

• Bristles
Re: Has Anyone used Amica for car/house insurance?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2017, 03:12:58 PM »
I had Amica auto insurance for several years, until I eventually switched to GEICO when I found that it was significantly cheaper for me (that doesn't necessarily mean it would be for you, as insurance rates can vary quite a bit from person to person and region to region).

Do you pay monthly or annually? You can typically save a bit if you pay 12 months up front. The way most insurance works, if you cancel a policy partway through the term, you get a pro-rated refund of any premium you have already paid.

You should probably comparison shop a bit more before you go with Amica. Their rate may be the best for you, or it may not. But you should check a few others before settling on one.

secondcor521

• Walrus Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
    • Age of Eon - Overwatch player videos
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2017, 03:19:29 PM »
I don't use Amica but I've heard good things about them and I think they're generally a reputable company.

As the previous poster noted, you can switch any time and you should get a prorated refund from Allstate.

The main thing to make sure of is that your new policy is in force before you cancel your old policy.  Overlapping for a day or two is no big deal; having a day lapse in coverage and getting into an auto accident that day is a problem.  Unlikely to happen, but it has happened, and you don't want it happening to you.

Good luck!

Systems101

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2017, 09:34:30 PM »
My mom has been a happy Amica customer for something like 4 decades... had one accident a while ago, and they went to bat for her in a serious way.  I just had my insurance company bump my rates pretty significantly, and Amica is also a very competitive rate, so I may be switching there soon.  I have no hesitation or concern in using them.

missundecided

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2017, 10:14:41 PM »
I have Amica. Never called in a claim so can't speak to that but whenever I speak to an agent for competitive quotes, they basically tell me to stop shopping around because they'll never beat the rate I have with Amica. YMMV.

GhostSaver

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2017, 10:22:15 PM »
I have been a loyal Amica customer for years. I've made two homeowners claims and they were great to deal with. The customer service is great, especially compared to most insurance companies. 10/10. Recommended.

CowboyAndIndian

• Handlebar Stache
    • KOWines: Deep discount wine/spirits store.
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2017, 06:36:36 AM »
I have used Amica for almost 25 years.

Couple of claims from them (stolen car, rain damage in house, someone suing my wife for fender bender). They handled it quite well.

Highly recommend.

desk_jockey

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Bristles
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2017, 07:15:38 AM »
I'm also a 25+ year client of AMICA.  They have great customer service and I feel they are much less likely to attempt to avoid pay-outs of claims.   I've shopped the rates and found they are a bit more expensive, but factoring in the reputation and dividend it's worth it to me.  AMICA is a mutual insurance company, so if you don't have a claim you'll get a "dividend" rebate at the end of the year that might be 6% to 8% of your payments.

Consumer advocate Clark Howard consistently lists AMICA as the best insurance company to use for those that don't have access to USAA:
http://clark.com/insurance/the-two-best-insurance-companies-right-now/
http://clark.com/insurance/best-and-worst-home-insurers/
http://clark.com/insurance/best-auto-insurance-companies/

Tetsuya Hondo

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2017, 08:15:47 AM »
We recently switched from GEICO to Amica and saved money in the process. I had always heard that Amica is one of the best insurers
and they're always at the top of Consumer Reports' lists, but I had also heard that they are expensive. Happily that hasn't been the case with us.

I've been impressed with how responsive they are and there's an individual that I call for everything (although, I could also use the general number, but I like having someone to ping). She's always quick and helpful.

I also had good experiences with GEICO and they took car of a frivolous lawsuit from a fender bender for me, but they are a bit more impersonal. 

BogleBoy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2017, 09:50:55 AM »
I use them for homeowner's insurance. They're the cheapest here in TX and they've been great to deal with. Got my roof replaced after some wind damage and only had to pay a deductible, very easy. The claims adjusters that deal with lots of insurance companies say they may be the best one to have as they don't fight to not have to pay claims/nickle and dime and not really pay to fix things.

I think they are a little like Vanguard supposedly in that they are a mutual insurance company, owned by the policyholders. So, instead of maximizing profit for shareholders or something they are just doing the best they can for the policyholders who are the owners.