Author Topic: Has anyone transitioned from city dweller to homesteader? Tell me your story!  (Read 11782 times)

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
We homestead currently, and prior to this we lived in a city.  While in the city we 'urban homesteaded.'   We kept the front yard as grass to keep up appearances/make the neighbors happy. We unfortunately were in a somewhat fussy neighborhood where that mattered.  Some of our neighbors were 'Chem-Lawn' types.  Over the years we dug dandelions and improved our front lawn with compost to the point where it was super lush, had a good root system, and was full of worms and bugs.  When the drought came, our lawn stayed green and weathered it well, while some of the neighbors' chem lawns, with their shallow root systems and sick soil, died.  We got a lot of questions after that from the neighbors about what we were doing, and strangely I look back on our LAWN as one of the best things we did at that city place!  I feel like we educated some people a bit.  At our city place we also had a huge kitchen garden in the back where we grew 20 different things, perennial fruit trees and bushes, and chickens.  We canned and froze loads of produce.  We had a seriously awesome compost system.  You really don't need much space to accomplish a lot.

Then we moved to a country place on 6 acres, and we are totally loving it! It was an easy transition for us. One funny story.  A couple weeks after we moved in, our downstairs toilet backed up.  We snaked it, but couldn't fix the problem.  Turns out our 9 year old son had found a cool white pipe sticking up out of the grass, had unscrewed the top, and dumped a bunch of sticks and rocks down it.   Having grown up in a city he had no idea what a cleanout pipe is.  DH had to dig out an 8 foot trench to cut away pipe and get at all the clogs.  DS's punishment was to watch the entire repair job, and to pay for the replacement pipe out of his allowance  (about $8).  He now has a very thorough understanding of how septic systems work. :)

At our new place we still do a big kitchen garden, and we have a bigger flock of chickens.  We are lucky there were some existing nut and fruit trees and perennial fruit/veg plantings.  We've spent our first two years here adding to those. Our property is about 40% woods and 60% open/pasture/orchard.  We are still figuring things out in terms of how much we want to mow, and managing various trees.  We have the space, fencing, and facilities to add goats or even a small cow, but I doubt we will take that leap.  As much as we love our place, we also like to travel.  Chickens are easy peasy, and you can ask a neighbor to look in on them, but finding someone to look after 4 legged livestock is a bit harder I think.   

We constantly have projects in the works.  Right now we are finishing some serious reconstruction/improvements on our house, and we will probably add solar in the not-too-distant future.  I am pretty far down the road learning about beekeeping, and hope to take that plunge in the next year or two.  I have some half-baked ideas for a greenhouse with water-based thermal mass.  DH has some half-baked plans to build a tiny house on the opposite corner of the property which could be rented out, or lived in by our kids when they are older.  Always something to do, or dream about. :)

EDITED to add:  Another new project this year will be bench grafting and budding apple trees.  We have an outstanding old tree that we would love to propagate.  There is a LOT to learn, and I am trying to find someone local who may be able to advise us.  Otherwise, we will just try to educate ourselves, and then give it a whirl.  I found a cheap local source for rootstock, so good there.  Very excited about that project.     
« Last Edit: January 31, 2018, 05:55:13 AM by Trifele »

chaskavitch

• Handlebar Stache
@Trifele Your little homestead sounds like exactly what we want - big big garden, woods, some fruit trees, more chickens than we have currently, bees, a giant greenhouse, and a mother-in-law house that could be rented or actually lived in by one of our mothers, if they need it.  And MAYBE a cow, some goats, or sheep for wool, after a few years of learning how to do everything else well and efficiently.

I'm glad to know your urban homestead experience translated well.  I'm trying to be more effective in preserving and canning our produce, and figuring out how best to grow different crops, but we still have a lot of produce waste that ends up as chicken food.  Chickens ARE ridiculously easy.  I feel like they're the cats of the livestock world - give them some extra food and water, make sure they're safe, and you can totally leave them alone for the weekend.

Thegoblinchief

@Trifele Your little homestead sounds like exactly what we want - big big garden, woods, some fruit trees, more chickens than we have currently, bees, a giant greenhouse, and a mother-in-law house that could be rented or actually lived in by one of our mothers, if they need it.  And MAYBE a cow, some goats, or sheep for wool, after a few years of learning how to do everything else well and efficiently.

I'm glad to know your urban homestead experience translated well.  I'm trying to be more effective in preserving and canning our produce, and figuring out how best to grow different crops, but we still have a lot of produce waste that ends up as chicken food.  Chickens ARE ridiculously easy.  I feel like they're the cats of the livestock world - give them some extra food and water, make sure they're safe, and you can totally leave them alone for the weekend.

A metric that professional livestock farmers use that I think also applies to homesteaders is to reach at least 70-80% proficiency with a given animal (or scale of that animal) before adding a new animal or heavily ramping up the size of a given animal herd/flock.

Totally agree with you on chickens!

On the food preservation, we’ve got a food preservation thread stickied in the gauntlet section that may help. I don’t feel too bad about food waste anymore, though, since so much of it can be fed either to the chickens or to other livestock. In my case, rabbits, but the ultimate garbage disposal would be pigs, followed by goats.

chaskavitch

• Handlebar Stache

A metric that professional livestock farmers use that I think also applies to homesteaders is to reach at least 70-80% proficiency with a given animal (or scale of that animal) before adding a new animal or heavily ramping up the size of a given animal herd/flock.

Totally agree with you on chickens!

On the food preservation, we’ve got a food preservation thread stickied in the gauntlet section that may help. I don’t feel too bad about food waste anymore, though, since so much of it can be fed either to the chickens or to other livestock. In my case, rabbits, but the ultimate garbage disposal would be pigs, followed by goats.

Oh, thanks for the thread recommendation!  I'll go find that.

If things don't go to the chickens, they usually go to the compost, so it isn't too awful.  I just hate that I lose so many things to the back of the fridge because I assume my husband ate them, when really they're buried.

merlin7676

• Stubble
I think it will be far more work than you can realistically do on weekends. 

At the risk of getting a face punch on here, my husband and I have a condo that we live at in the city during the week (since our jobs are here) and is our primary residence.  But 3 1/2 years ago we did buy a house near the ocean as a weekend/vacation/retirement home. It's a single family 2bed, 1/2 bath, 954 sq feet cabin on a double lot.

Even going there every weekend, we have a hard time keeping up with it.  We dreamed at the time of spending weekends at the beach (3 blocks away), drinking sangria on the patio, BBQ's ect.
The cold reality of that is we hardly ever have time when we're down there for that sort of activity. 
We leave work on Friday and drive there which sadly with traffic takes longer than I care to admit on here.

Which only leaves saturday to do everything that needs done.  Lawn and garden care, house maintenance, upgrades (it is a fixer upper so we did realize that going into it). By saturday evening we're so tired it's basically eat dinner and veg a bit on the couch before bed. Then on Sunday we may have a few hours in the morning time to get some small stuff done before we have to drive back to the city so we can go to work on Monday morning.

Disclaimer:  We did buy this before we gained all the financial knowledge we have now.  It was kinda of stupid but we do love it there and is our "retreat" plus we've made a lot of great and wonderful friends. That being said, we do have a realtor coming on Saturday to do a house assessment and we're probably going to put it on the market as we've decided it's not suitable for retirement for a variety of reasons.  So it's basically just a money and time suck at this point.

newgirl

• Stubble
Yes, after reading all these stories I realize it's not going to be realistic to think we could develop a small homestead on weekends/vacations, even if we gave ourselves a lot of years to do it. I'm shifting my thinking to looking for a more traditional home on a large lot where we could have a garden, plant some fruit and nut trees, and perhaps eventually have rabbits or chickens. An earlier poster is right, you can do a lot with a small space if you plan it out well.

I'm looking into zoning requirements and animal laws for a few areas a bit further west of the city than we already are, as possible targeted areas for a property search. I've also decided that I don't want to be super rural with school age children. I have no appetite for home schooling, and I don't want to sentence my kid(s) to a long commute to school every day any more than I would want to have a long work commute. So the advantage of staying suburban is that we'd still have access to all the schools and the busing.