Author Topic: Has anyone toilet trained their cat?  (Read 3597 times)

Dsteadma

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Has anyone toilet trained their cat?
« on: September 09, 2015, 11:22:09 AM »
Kitty litter is expensive and it would be very mustachian to train them. Has anyone gotten it to work? Is it worth the effort?

wienerdog

• Pencil Stache
Re: Has anyone toilet trained their cat?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2015, 11:28:00 AM »
I put a small doggy door in the screen door so he can go in and out as much as he wants when I am home as I keep the main door open.  For some reason he prefers to use the dirt holes that the chickens dirt bath in.  Maybe he is getting back at the chickens for bossing him around?  I think I have changed the liter once or twice this summer. 

geekette

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2015, 11:59:00 AM »
I'm sure it's been done, but I only know someone who tried and failed. 

But also consider your cat as it ages, or guests finding the toilet "used" but not flushed.

We use "The World's Best Cat Litter" and while it may seem pricey up front, it seems to last a long time in this house (but our cats generally seem to prefer the great outdoors).

Lis

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2015, 12:22:41 PM »
I'm trying to remember why and what episode, but I remember Jackson Galaxy discouraging cat owners from training their cats to do that. I can't remember why - it might just be because it's against their nature, but technically, so are a lot of things...

We use "The World's Best Cat Litter" and while it may seem pricey up front, it seems to last a long time in this house (but our cats generally seem to prefer the great outdoors).

I've seen that mentioned before (it might have been you!). Can you tell us a bit more about it, other than it can be flushed? After reading about it I checked it out, but it seems to be 3x more expensive than the stuff I currently use (and the stuff my cats like, and one of them may have been... ahem, picky of litters in the past). Is it worth it?

geekette

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2015, 02:38:27 PM »
There were several who mentioned this litter in some thread in the past.  I really like that it's low dust, very low odor, and it's also quick to absorb (no clumps on the bottom, so I rarely have to clean the box, I just scoop and add more). 

You may not like it as much as I do, but you could try a small bag when it's on sale to see if you and your cats like it.

choppingwood

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2015, 03:10:49 PM »
There were several who mentioned this litter in some thread in the past.  I really like that it's low dust, very low odor, and it's also quick to absorb (no clumps on the bottom, so I rarely have to clean the box, I just scoop and add more). 

You may not like it as much as I do, but you could try a small bag when it's on sale to see if you and your cats like it.

+1

I like it as much as you do. It also smells pleasant and clean to me -- not chemically like some of the others.

Also, there are a couple of existing threads on the subject of toilet training cats. Try, for example, Mustachify my cat? Toilet training? under Ask Mustachians.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2015, 03:27:23 PM by choppingwood »

Spruit

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2015, 01:41:36 AM »
My parents have actually trained their cat to do this. The had a sort of extra toilet seat that the cat used. However, when us kids came around they concluded it was not sanitary to have kids and cat using the same toilet, so I've never actually seen it in action unfortunately.

NCGal

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2015, 06:27:02 AM »
I haven't toilet trained mine but I have seen this on Shark Tank:
www.citikitty.com
FYI I used to buy World's Best litter but switched to the clumping litter sold at Tractor Supply. It's app. $5 or $6, depending on whether on sale, for 25 lbs. If I recall correctly that's about one third the price of WB at Petsmart. I find it just as good. I don't know if it's flushable though.

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2015, 07:42:35 AM »
I had a cat who toilet trained himself! However, he did not flush. There were lots of accusations of grossness flying between household members, and a lot of denial of responsibility - until we figured out that one of our cats was using the toilet.

Tried to train other cats years later and really it was a lot of work and prone to rapid failure. It would be lovely if it was easy and reliable - but that wasn't my experience w/ the cats that require training.

Cat litter at Costco is significantly cheaper than at other stores -  they only carry one or two brands though.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!