Author Topic: Has anyone heard of "WhatsApp"?  (Read 5506 times)

mikefixac

• Bristles
    • Uncommonly Brilliant
Has anyone heard of "WhatsApp"?
« on: May 16, 2014, 08:09:18 PM »
It's an app that's free first year, then $.99/year after. All the texts you want to send or receive, unlimited--FREE.

With my Verizon account, it was costing $10/mo for my texts, and I wasn't using it that much.

The way it works though is (I think) the person texting you has to use "WhatsApp" too.

Hugh H

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Has anyone heard of "WhatsApp"?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2014, 08:20:46 PM »
Yep, use it all the time.

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2014, 08:33:29 PM »
Why not something totally free, like Hangouts? I assume WhatsThat still uses data of some form...

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2014, 08:11:22 AM »
The app Facebook bought for 19 Billion (with a b) a few months ago?

Yup, heard of it.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Daley

• Magnum Stache
  • Still kickin', I guess.
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2014, 08:29:57 PM »
All it is is a proprietary instant messenger service for phones. Plenty out there cheaper (as in completely free outside of data use) and some with far friendlier privacy policies like Kik, Viber, XMS, BBM, KakaoTalk, Nimbuzz, old standbys like AIM, Yahoo IM, Skype, the Jabber/XMPP protocol, Google Hangouts....

johnintaiwan

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2014, 10:59:36 PM »
That has been huge here for the last few years. I know my wife uses it. It is still free for everyone over here. I have no experience with it myself. I still use an old nokia.

Sonorous Epithet

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2014, 11:04:42 PM »
I use it to chat with a buddy of mine in Costa Rica. What's App has a strong network effect outside of the US. Messaging apps are useless if you have to convince everyone you'd talk to to get the app.

I do actually really like the interface. It is pretty and easy to use.

MayDay

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2014, 05:30:19 AM »
I use it with my sister who lives in Mexico, and my brother when he is traveling internationally. Sure there are free ones but my sister uses what's app, and I don't want to slog through free ones and have to convince people to use them. At a dollar a year, this is low on my optimization list.

SnackDog

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2014, 08:05:35 AM »
What planet are you on? Everyone has used it for years.

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2014, 08:32:32 AM »
My mother (who is far from being a digital native) has been asking me to jump on the whatsapp bandwagon for months. She loves it because right now each of her 4 children, yours truly included, lives in a different country. If you are very spread out geographically it can make things a lot smoother than trying to remember who has cheap international texting and who hasn't.

Silvie

• Stubble
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2014, 01:40:17 PM »
It's very popular in Europe. I've been using it for years and I don't know anyone who doesn't use it! It has completely replaced SMS.