Author Topic: Has anyone followed Dave Ramsey's Money Makeover?  (Read 38804 times)

muckety_muck

• Stubble
    • Unmucking by 2022
Re: Has anyone followed Dave Ramsey's Money Makeover?
« Reply #100 on: August 23, 2015, 08:25:38 PM »
DR is great for people who are clueless; while not optimal in many ways, it will get someone who is "deep in do-do" out.  I don't like the "Churchiness" of it.  I have never heard him speak to a partnered/married same sexed, unmarried, or unmarried single Mom (obviously, those calls are screened out...).  Suze Orman gives pretty optimal advise, but I don't always agree with her.  I follow some of each as well as MMM.  I don't agree with MMM's (lack of) emergency fund advise, especially in this abysmal job market.

I get inspired by all.  I watch Suze's free video clips on CNBC.  I occasionally listen to Dave Ramsey and I follow these blogs.

+1. Could have written this exact response myself. I'm not going to drink ANYONE's koolaid, but I will take the parts that make sense/have stood the test of time/work with my lifestyle and leave the parts that don't fit. I have recommended DR as a starting point for SO MANY of my friends, though... and some make it through. some don't. Only the most extreme/successful types will I recommend MMM. If one cannot figure out that spending $6k/mo while earning $4k/mo is a big problem before it becomes a HUGE problem, well... they need to start somewhere and DR deals with that pretty well IMO. Suze caters to more yuppy lifestyles, but in general they are the same message.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!