Author Topic: Ham  (Read 16145 times)

Mr. Tummy Mustache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Ham
« on: April 07, 2014, 11:14:46 AM »
« Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 02:40:14 PM by Exit »

MissStache

• Pencil Stache
Re: Where Did You Sell Your Fine China / Fancy Silverware?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2014, 11:19:43 AM »
If they are vintage/antiques, you can try selling them on Etsy.  They aren't auctions, so you can set the price and hope to find a buyer.  It isn't a fast way to sell, but generally the people shopping there are willing to pay more money for nicer items. 

SweetLife

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2014, 12:52:30 PM »
(Not very mustachinan of me) however ... I have bought almost all of my china (that we use every day and every party) off of ebay... ditto with two of the three sets of silver that I purchased ...

Unfortunately (for you) depending on what you have the prices aren't very high ... my silver sets were $75 (for a complete set with a variety of "extra" pieces thrown in - set of 8) My second set was $85 set of 8 again with some extra pieces thrown in ... both had shipping on top ... The china sets that I bought were only pieces from sets not full sets ... be very careful on how you package the china ... I was so upset when I received my last order (paid in full) over 3/4 arrived completely smashed ... terrible packaging - heartbreaking as some of the pieces are impossible to find ... in the end i was issued a full refund (so the seller made nothing due to his negligence).  Anyways ... I have also found some pieces in antique stores (you may get better prices there ... don't do second hand stores they will give you less than nothing...) they will be selling for a higher $$$ so they will give you better prices. 
You could also try the kijiji route you may find some serious collectors in your area that will pay top $$ ... know what your goods are worth ... I did alot of research on ebay "history" before I bothered to buy and would do the same to sell ...
(The patterns I bought were - Occupied Japan - Rose pattern for the china and the silver was 1847 Rogers Bros "Eternally Yours" so if you have either of these pm me :) lol... )

Good luck with the sale!

geekette

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2014, 01:52:17 PM »
Replacements.com buys and sells china, silver, and crystal.  Unless you have something special, though, I think the buy prices aren't that good.

Sell page is here.

kkbmustang

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2014, 03:54:03 PM »
Replacements.com buys and sells china, silver, and crystal.  Unless you have something special, though, I think the buy prices aren't that good.

Sell page is here.

Buy prices are pennies on the dollar.

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2014, 03:58:22 PM »
also some well known & good china is worthless depending on the pattern. I found this out when researching & ended up giving it to Goodwill. It really depends on the pattern.

Norrie

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2014, 07:02:47 PM »
It really does depend on the pattern and maker. I'm a big fan of Shelley stuff, so if you have any of that, I'll take it off your hands.   :)

(I actually use it daily, I don't just collect it and put it in a china cabinet.)

eBay and Etsy are the two places that I'd recommend selling.

OldDogNewTrick

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2014, 07:30:32 PM »
Looking for recommendations on where to sell fine China and fancy silverware.  Ebay? Craig's List? Other?  I have a bunch of this stuff that I'd like to convert into 'stache cash.

Thank you,
MTM

Silverware? Like in sterling? If it is the authentic stuff take to a shop that buys old coins, etc. China... well, depends entirely on the maker/pattern. I'd prob list on Ebay/Etsy. To be candid, 'fine' china isn't really in fashion right now. You might make more my piecing it out if the pattern is popular/desirable.

SweetLife

• Bristles
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2014, 07:07:14 AM »
It really does depend on the pattern and maker. I'm a big fan of Shelley stuff, so if you have any of that, I'll take it off your hands.   :)

(I actually use it daily, I don't just collect it and put it in a china cabinet.)

eBay and Etsy are the two places that I'd recommend selling.

Nice to see I am not the only one that uses our china ... :)  My husband even likes it!  :) 

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2014, 07:47:15 AM »

Sell page is here.

Buy prices are pennies on the dollar.

Sell page is here.

My experience with Replacements was the same. The buying price they offered was laughable…but perhaps my Waterford crystal pattern is not in demand. (Curraghmore). So I kept the crystal and just enjoy looking at it in the china cabinet and drinking from the stemware. Also don't forget that packing your items properly and securely will cost you something in materials.

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2014, 07:50:45 AM »
Sorry, I'm obviously still flunking "blue boxes." Just wanted to add that I sold a whole boatload of Lenox Solitaire china and crystal through an auction, and it probably wasn't worth it…again, pennies on the dollar. If I had not been moving out-of-state, I probably would have just kept it.

MissStache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2014, 08:18:39 AM »
One thing I will say about the China- make sure you check the shipping costs before you do the auction.  It could be a ridiculous amount, especially since you will have to pack it very carefully.  Personally, I'm not sure I would fiddle with trying to sell china- only silverware.  Do you have a local consigment shop around you?  Perhaps they would be willing to sell it for you.

kkbmustang

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2014, 08:27:18 AM »
One thing I will say about the China- make sure you check the shipping costs before you do the auction.  It could be a ridiculous amount, especially since you will have to pack it very carefully.  Personally, I'm not sure I would fiddle with trying to sell china- only silverware.  Do you have a local consigment shop around you?  Perhaps they would be willing to sell it for you.

+1 I sold some china (large dinner plates) a while back on ebay. By the time I took into account the transaction fees (ebay and paypal) and the shipping costs, I might have lost money.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2014, 08:43:29 AM »
Selling the China isn't very cost effective for our situation . . . because my wife would find and kill me moments after selling it all.  This would likely land her in prison and me dead, with the state taking away our baby.  Silver lining that we wouldn't need to save any more for retirement though.

acroy

• Handlebar Stache
    • SWAMI
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2014, 10:53:40 AM »
Ebay is the only way to go to maximize the $$. Take nice pictures and take what you can get.
If you are in a high enough tax bracket, it may make more sense to donate & take the deduction.
Enjoy!

MountainFlower

• Bristles
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2014, 11:06:54 AM »
I have a caution about this.  I have heard that people who sell a lot of this stuff have a way of marking the china they send that is only visible in black light or something like that.  This is because people will buy it, claim it was broken, and then send back or photograph their broken pieces to get a refund.  I would probably only sell on craigslist. 

I did buy two place settings of my china a few years ago because my mom wanted to complete our set as a Christmas present.  The seller did an amazing job with bubble wrap and foam.  It looked like overkill, but it arrived intact so I was grateful.  Be sure to factor in the cost of shipping materials. 

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!