Author Topic: Halloween: What do you give out?  (Read 22004 times)

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
Re: Halloween: What do you give out?
« Reply #50 on: October 27, 2014, 09:16:43 PM »
http://www.slate.com/articles/life/dear_prudence/2014/10/dear_prudence_on_halloween_poor_kids_come_to_trick_or_treat_in_my_neighborhood.html

"Halloween for the 99 Percent" sounds like a blast at parties. Prudie's response is great,

Stop being callous and miserly and go to Costco, you cheapskate, and get enough candy to fill the bags of the kids who come one day a year to marvel at how the 1 percent live.

My neighborhood gets 100s of kids. I supply the usual candy but this year also bought a Costco snack cookie box (Oreos, Chips Ahoy, etc.) and a box of Welch's fruit snacks. I think I'm up to $60 right now.

sleepyguy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #51 on: October 27, 2014, 09:53:20 PM »
As a kid my brother and i LOVE going out and getting candies.  We'd be so excited when they gave out full size bars instead of "fun size" stuff.

Now as an adult I do the same.  We don't get that many kids, maybe 15-20.  so I go ahead and give them full sized chocolate bars... the usually have a pretty big smile which is awesome :)

AllChoptUp

• Stubble
« Reply #52 on: October 28, 2014, 08:36:58 AM »
1 or 2 fun-sized candy bars for the kids. Shots for adults - two flavors this year: caramel candy apple & chocolate covered pretzel, yum!

Sylly

• Bristles
« Reply #53 on: October 28, 2014, 08:49:29 AM »
Unless you have a sugar allergy, there will always be some kinds of candy you can still eat.  When I was a kid I would have LOVED to go trick or treating with an allergic friend who then wanted to trade all of his chocolate and nut candy for my starbursts, jolly ranchers, and skittles.  We still would have argued over the nerds, I guess.

SO has dairy allergy and still went trick or treating as a kid -- just had his parents trade all the chocolatey candy with ones he could eat. IMO, the onus on giving safe, edible treat to kids shouldn't be on the candy giver, but on the parents. The kid should also have been taught to know what is and isn't safe for him. But most candy now are chocolatey, so we always buy the non-chocolate candy to hand out, for two reasons -- give variety to kids, and the leftovers are edible. :P

OSUBearCub

• Bristles
  • Tackling student loan debt/not saving dryer lint.
« Reply #54 on: October 28, 2014, 01:19:02 PM »
I don't care if it's a kid or adult, costume or not... everyone gets candy at my house if they say the magic words. As far as I'm concerned, Halloween is one of the last true community events still left around from the old days where you get outside and talk to people and meet some folks that usually are just running in and out from home to work.

Here here!  I love the community aspect of Halloween. 

I give out super lame Saf-T-Pops.  A friend of mine choked on a blowpop (and lived to tell the tale) when I was a kid so I go with the safer option.  There's also no peanuts, dairy, gluten, or anything else for a helicopter mom to freak out about.  Lastly, they're crazy cheap. :-)

OSUBearCub

• Bristles
  • Tackling student loan debt/not saving dryer lint.
« Reply #55 on: October 28, 2014, 01:24:50 PM »
I got A LOT of single boxes of Jello with a great coupon for my hubby...and then he got tired of Jello...so I am giving that out. I normally only get like 10 trick or treaters. Hopefully Jello isn't weird.

Jello is definitely weird.

@Gimp for the win.  @MilenialMustache, it is a little weird but it's better than the mini toothpastes I gave out from couponing in years past. :-)

Cpa Cat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #56 on: October 28, 2014, 01:45:11 PM »
Up until last year, I gave out fun-sized candy bars. Two per kid. I usually handed them out myself because the process bogs down if the kids are allowed to choose. I have to keep the group moving in my neighborhood - way too many trick-or-treaters. Then when I got tired, I just dumped the rest into a few kids' bags and turned the light off.

Older kids: Man - I don't care if they come by - I don't need to be the grinch about teenagers wanting to have candy. I don't really understand why there needs to be some weird arbitrary cut off where some kid is too old to have fun on Hallowe'en. If they're young enough to have fun trick-or-treating, then they're young enough for an F-ing candy bar.

But last year, we decided to spare the cats the trauma of the contrantly ringing doorbell (in their worst nightmares, the UPS man comes inside and beats them, I think). We turned off all the lights and watched movies in the basement. Best Hallowe'en ever.

I had to hand out granola bars to a couple of kids though - our nephews stopped by, and I guess some neighbors figured we were open for business, since they saw some kids at our house.

VirginiaBob

• Bristles
    • LRJ Discounters
« Reply #57 on: October 28, 2014, 01:49:21 PM »
What age is too young to go trick or treating?  Is it ok to take around my 3 month old twins with candy bags?

Frankies Girl

• Magnum Stache
  • Ghouls Just Wanna Have Funds!
« Reply #58 on: October 28, 2014, 03:24:17 PM »
What age is too young to go trick or treating?  Is it ok to take around my 3 month old twins with candy bags?

I certainly don't care - you'd get candy at my house. :) But there are plenty of folks that would say "you're just using them to get candy since they can't eat it themselves" and be a jerk about it. Well, duh, of course you are going to eat the candy!

Sigh. I wish the snotty "you're too old/too young/no costume/too poor/whatever" crowd would unbunch their undies and just be a nice to other people.

Philociraptor

• Handlebar Stache
  • Eat. Sleep. Invest. Repeat.
« Reply #59 on: October 28, 2014, 03:30:45 PM »
We give out scowls to anyone with the audacity to ring our doorbell, since we leave the porch light off.

hodedofome

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #60 on: October 28, 2014, 08:14:03 PM »
I hand out razor blades, shards of broken glass or bag 'o nails. I don't hand out the bag 'o vipers anymore.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #61 on: October 28, 2014, 08:32:14 PM »

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!