Author Topic: Guess the City  (Read 21919 times)

HairyUpperLip

• Pencil Stache
Re: Guess the City
« Reply #50 on: May 05, 2014, 01:41:13 PM »
(which means it's probably close to the Varsity....the single best hamburger joint in the galaxy).

Really? I think it's one of the most disgusting food establishments we have here. Everything is overly greasy to me. I hate eating there.
haha, I do see what you mean.  I guess since I rarely get to Atlanta it still holds some allure and mystique.  There really isn't anything like it in Orlando.  (I've actually gone 95% paleo, so there isn't much there I can eat these days anyhow).

I still love the place though...What'll ya have What'll ya have step right up....have your dollar in your hand and your order on your mind!

hahaha - fair enough. It is considered an Atlanta landmark so makes sense that people from out of town would enjoy it more. Not like the locals really go to Coca Cola world every weekend or anything.

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #51 on: May 05, 2014, 01:44:00 PM »
oooooh I love it!

that seems kind of cheap so I'm going to guess somewhere midwest-ish. not sure if by "major metro area" you mean somewhere bigger than this, but I'm thinking St. Louis, Twin Cities, Pittsburgh... that kinda thing.

For that price, I know it's not DC or NY. Pittsburgh? Raleigh-Durham?

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #52 on: May 05, 2014, 01:50:00 PM »
Drat. I was going to guess north FL. That would have been closer geographically to the actual correct answer.

I figured southern due to the light, but the brick made me think Pittsburgh.

What I found strange was how the counters set off the space for the kitchen. Maybe that is what a loft is all about, but the overhead shot of the countertops put me off a bit.

I like the exposed brick yet wonder if that means it'll be cold in winter.

rocksinmyhead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #53 on: May 05, 2014, 02:34:18 PM »
Last thing would be to consider heating/cooling costs on an old industrial space.  I wouldn't be surprised if the insulation is awful and there are leaks all over.  Especially in a southern city where it wasn't necessarily cold enough outside to force them to do decent insulation.

great point. I have lived in some old houses in St. Paul, and I have NEVER been as cold/paid as much to heat my space as in my old house in Tulsa. I'm pretty sure there is no insulation whatsoever.

FIPurpose

• Handlebar Stache
    • FI With Purpose
« Reply #54 on: May 05, 2014, 03:09:32 PM »
I think the silver pole is ripe for building around. Poles are very easy to change if you want. You can practically make the pole look like anything you want. I'm not sure why people are complaining about it when it's a couple hundred dollar fix to change to literally any pole look you want.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #55 on: May 05, 2014, 03:43:58 PM »
it's a couple hundred dollar fix to change to literally any pole look you want.

I guess I'm not familiar with different "pole looks."

I can picture a barber pole...

A stripper pole...

A flag pole...

None of these are sounding like things I want to dominate my living room.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

EconDiva

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #56 on: May 05, 2014, 03:48:00 PM »
So now that everyone knows where it's located, what is everyone's personal opinion on the price?  Does it seem like a good value in your opinion.  If not, why not?

No way to tell without knowing what the comparable places go for.

If they're all going for 100k for almost the same thing, it's way overpriced.  If they're going for 200k, it's a good deal.

You can't tell what something's worth without knowing its market (and knowing it fairly well).

Similar 2 bd/2 ba in the same building went for $230K 4 weeks ago (I posted a link to it above)

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #57 on: May 05, 2014, 03:53:05 PM »
So now that everyone knows where it's located, what is everyone's personal opinion on the price?  Does it seem like a good value in your opinion.  If not, why not?

No way to tell without knowing what the comparable places go for.

If they're all going for 100k for almost the same thing, it's way overpriced.  If they're going for 200k, it's a good deal.

You can't tell what something's worth without knowing its market (and knowing it fairly well).

Similar 2 bd/2 ba in the same building went for $230K 4 weeks ago (I posted a link to it above)

That's not enough data.  Why did it go for 230k? Why is this listed at 155k?  Was there financing? Cash?  When was the last one before that sold in the building?  How about nearby?

A good place to start is getting a CMA from a Realtor.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

HairyUpperLip

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #58 on: May 05, 2014, 04:39:15 PM »
it's a couple hundred dollar fix to change to literally any pole look you want.

I guess I'm not familiar with different "pole looks."

I can picture a barber pole...

A stripper pole...

A flag pole...

None of these are sounding like things I want to dominate my living room.

Hmm, I would love a stripper pole in my living room...

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #59 on: May 05, 2014, 05:55:06 PM »
Hmm, I would love a stripper pole in my living room...

I doubt you would, but if you are serious: http://www.amazon.com/s/url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=stripper+pole

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #60 on: May 05, 2014, 06:25:57 PM »
I think the silver pole is ripe for building around. Poles are very easy to change if you want. You can practically make the pole look like anything you want. I'm not sure why people are complaining about it when it's a couple hundred dollar fix to change to literally any pole look you want.

Could we make it look like a candy cane?

HairyUpperLip

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #61 on: May 06, 2014, 11:30:06 AM »
I'm in the Atlanta area and I don't know if it's a great investment.

I think it's a good buy for a young single person or younger couple with small children. It's not the nicest or best part of Atlanta by any means, but it's close enough that you can enjoy being downtown regularly without the expense of driving there.

I wouldn't buy the property with hopes to sell it for a massive profit, but for $150k it's a good location, size, etc. Could make a decent rental for college kids too.

Just my two cents as a person that lives in Atlanta.

Frugalicious

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #62 on: May 06, 2014, 11:52:26 AM »
I'm in Atlanta too.  I have lived in the 3 out of 4 corners of Atlanta, plus intown and I would not buy that house as a residence or a rental property.  It is in a rough area and would have limited appeal for tenants/potential buyers.

HairyUpperLip

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #63 on: May 06, 2014, 02:24:13 PM »
I'm in Atlanta too.  I have lived in the 3 out of 4 corners of Atlanta, plus intown and I would not buy that house as a residence or a rental property.  It is in a rough area and would have limited appeal for tenants/potential buyers.

I think with all the revival projects going on in Buckhead and Auburn Ave it's only a matter of time before it trickles across the city more and more. Just my opinion but I don't know anything for sure.

I agree that it wouldn't be a money maker though.

AllChoptUp

• Stubble
« Reply #64 on: May 07, 2014, 12:07:27 PM »
I was going to guess Roanoke :)

I think it's beautiful, and the 'cold/modern' look can translate to a quiet cool environment in places like hot-lanta.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!