Author Topic: Guess the City  (Read 21921 times)

EconDiva

• Handlebar Stache
Guess the City
« on: May 05, 2014, 09:29:44 AM »
I've found my dream home.  But its several years too early and I'm not ready to purchase it :(

Plus, I don't live in the city it's in :P

Anyways, even though I haven't physically seen this place, the loft below seems like a steal of a price.  But just for fun, I wanted to post pics and ask...what major metro city in the US do YOU think this loft is listed in...? 

2 bedrooms, 2 baths
1973 sq ft
Built in 1920
Listing price: $154,900
Location is considered near the downtown area of this city (think close to some businesses, universities, tourist attractions, public transit, but not the trendiest/hippest part of town)

kkbmustang

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Guess the City
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2014, 09:36:22 AM »
I have no idea what city it's in, but it's beautiful.

norabird

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2014, 09:37:31 AM »
Chicago? Or maybe Philly...

Looks pretty baller.

EconDiva

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2014, 09:39:48 AM »
Chicago? Or maybe Philly...

Looks pretty baller.

Are you sure you want to guess Chicago...in downtown...for $155K?

Or perhaps you could be right (I'll reveal the city after more responses come in).

rocksinmyhead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2014, 09:40:22 AM »
oooooh I love it!

that seems kind of cheap so I'm going to guess somewhere midwest-ish. not sure if by "major metro area" you mean somewhere bigger than this, but I'm thinking St. Louis, Twin Cities, Pittsburgh... that kinda thing.

HairyUpperLip

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2014, 09:49:46 AM »
Inside looks really cool!

Outside looks like typical depressing MidWest life. I'm not sure which city, but I'm guessing somewhere in the midwest.

Can we get more clues?? :)

EconDiva

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2014, 09:53:37 AM »
^Maybe :)

What other clues would you like..?

PeachFuzzStacher

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2014, 09:53:58 AM »
Milwaukee?

Tyler

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2014, 09:56:18 AM »
Raleigh, NC.

Elaine

• Bristles
    • Small Things Good
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2014, 09:57:10 AM »
Wow, that's insanely cheap so I'm also thinking it's Midwest or Southern and a smallish city. This seems too cheap to be Pittsburgh, but the architecture looks like it might be. It could be Savannah. This is going to drive me completely insane until you post the answer, btw.

HairyUpperLip

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2014, 09:57:20 AM »
Omaha?

dcheesi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2014, 09:59:20 AM »
I'm going to go out on a limb and say Detroit. I can't see the OP making a big deal out of the locality if was just a "normal" city. But people tend to think of Detroit as one big blighted hell-scape, so finding a nice place like this in a decent looking area would be counter-intuitive enough to be worth posting.

norabird

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2014, 10:01:35 AM »
doh, missed the price! Yeah no nevermind I have no idea.

Elaine

• Bristles
    • Small Things Good
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2014, 10:02:09 AM »
I'm going to go out on a limb and say Detroit. I can't see the OP making a big deal out of the locality if was just a "normal" city. But people tend to think of Detroit as one big blighted hell-scape, so finding a nice place like this in a decent looking area would be counter-intuitive enough to be worth posting.

Hah, +1. I bet you're right. Also it would explain the decor, it's kind of dated for a larger city, but in that area it's probably very unusual/modern looking.

Fletch

• Stubble
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2014, 10:02:18 AM »
Atlanta, GA.
Has no one ever done a "search google for the image" before?

Elaine

• Bristles
    • Small Things Good
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2014, 10:04:01 AM »
Atlanta, GA.

You bring your smartphone to trivia night, don't you?

Fletch

• Stubble
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2014, 10:09:26 AM »

Nope, the rules forbid it :). If EconDiva didn't want us to cheat, she should have specified that google image search was off limits.

This is a forum about maximizing efficiency, right?

EconDiva

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2014, 10:10:49 AM »

Nope, the rules forbid it :). If EconDiva didn't want us to cheat, she should have specified that google image search was off limits.

You're right.  I should have clarified what 'guess' meant. ;)

HairyUpperLip

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2014, 10:11:13 AM »
Atlanta, GA.

No, because it was simple fun.

HairyUpperLip

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2014, 10:11:41 AM »

So is Atlanta, GA the correct answer then?

EconDiva

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2014, 10:12:21 AM »
So just in case there are any Atlantans on the board, I found out that a comparable unit in the same building sold just one month ago for $230,000:

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/330-Peters-St-SW-UNIT-105-Atlanta-GA-30313/35890096_zpid/

It's discoveries like these that make me wish I was actually back in Atlanta and ready to purchase right now :P

Elaine

• Bristles
    • Small Things Good
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2014, 10:12:43 AM »

Hahaha, fair enough. I SHALL GET YOU NEXT TIME GODZILLA!

EconDiva

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2014, 10:13:20 AM »

So is Atlanta, GA the correct answer then?

*YES*!!!

The loft IS in Atlanta, GA. ;)

HairyUpperLip

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2014, 10:13:34 AM »
So just in case there are any Atlantans on the board, I found out that a comparable unit in the same building sold just one month ago for $230,000:

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/330-Peters-St-SW-UNIT-105-Atlanta-GA-30313/35890096_zpid/

It's discoveries like these that make me wish I was actually back in Atlanta and ready to purchase right now :P

Do you have a link to the actual unit that is for sale?
Thanks

EconDiva

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2014, 10:15:45 AM »

rocksinmyhead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2014, 10:17:03 AM »
doh, this kind of made me realize I have a total blind spot for the South, as in, I forget that it's there. probably because it's the only part of the country I haven't lived or traveled in. it's on my list!

HairyUpperLip

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2014, 10:21:38 AM »
Wow - I wonder if this spot would actually sell for 155. If so, I'd go buy it tonight! lol

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2014, 10:24:32 AM »
Here is the link to the actual unit:
http://www.highrises.com/city/atlanta/listing/5268591-unit-205-330-peters-street-atlanta-ga-30313/

Funny how people's tastes differ.  Looking at that listing, that does not appeal to me at all.  If it was the cheapest rent in the city (say, 300-400 a month), I'd live there, but otherwise, no thanks!

I wouldn't buy it as a primary residence even if it was 25k (I would buy it as a rental if the numbers made sense, because I don't have to live in my rentals).

But I can see how it would appeal to some.  :)
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

EconDiva

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2014, 10:28:50 AM »
http://www.highrises.com/city/atlanta/listing/5268591-unit-205-330-peters-street-atlanta-ga-30313/

Funny how people's tastes differ.  Looking at that listing, that does not appeal to me at all.  If it was the cheapest rent in the city (say, 300-400 a month), I'd live there, but otherwise, no thanks!

I wouldn't buy it as a primary residence even if it was 25k (I would buy it as a rental if the numbers made sense, because I don't have to live in my rentals).

Interesting.  Do tell exactly what is unappealing about it to you?  Is the outside?  Or just the entire older, exposed-brick open-concept loft style?

HairyUpperLip

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2014, 10:31:16 AM »

Interesting.  Do tell exactly what is unappealing about it to you?  Is the outside?  Or just the entire older, exposed-brick open-concept loft style?

Haha - I'm very curious too since you went through all the effort to post your dislike and then underline that you don't like it at all.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #30 on: May 05, 2014, 10:36:21 AM »
No idea, so I'm gonna guess Philly.  Depends on what you mean by "major"!  Seems like a great deal compared to my area.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #31 on: May 05, 2014, 10:38:49 AM »

I think it's pretty clear.  If you know the answer, it's not a guess.

Shoulda known it wasn't philly since no radiators.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #32 on: May 05, 2014, 10:44:14 AM »

The building is fine, it's the interior.  The kitchen layout, the forced "modern" look.  The shower, for example.  The staircase.  The giant silver pole.

All of it is very off-putting.

And, like I said, I can see how it would appeal to some.  I just wouldn't want to live there.  It makes me a little uncomfortable just looking at the pictures.  Which is sort of weird to me, as I've never had that reaction before.  :)
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

rebel100

• Stubble
« Reply #33 on: May 05, 2014, 10:54:14 AM »
You won't believe me but I guessed Atlanta from the OP.  I was just there in February and the building looks very much like those in downtown near Georgia Tech (which means it's probably close to the Varsity....the single best hamburger joint in the galaxy).

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #34 on: May 05, 2014, 10:54:51 AM »

The building is fine, it's the interior.  The kitchen layout, the forced "modern" look.  The shower, for example.  The staircase.  The giant silver pole.

And, like I said, I can see how it would appeal to some.  I just wouldn't want to live there.  It makes me a little uncomfortable just looking at the pictures.  Which is sort of weird to me, as I've never had that reaction before.  :)

I don't see a shower... I don't like the bathroom fixtures.  But I didn't notice the pole before you mentioned it.  It does make me a little uneasy for some reason.  The rest I like, so I'd probably just change out the sink and paint the poles and be happy (hope it has AC though in that climate)

edit: I found the shower... not sure what you'd put there instead... fiberglass with a curtain or those sliding door things?
« Last Edit: May 05, 2014, 10:58:33 AM by dragoncar »

EconDiva

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #35 on: May 05, 2014, 10:59:39 AM »
You won't believe me but I guessed Atlanta from the OP.  I was just there in February and the building looks very much like those in downtown near Georgia Tech (which means it's probably close to the Varsity....the single best hamburger joint in the galaxy).

Don't worry...I believe you! :)

EconDiva

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #36 on: May 05, 2014, 11:01:38 AM »

I don't see a shower... I don't like the bathroom fixtures.  But I didn't notice the pole before you mentioned it.  It does make me a little uneasy for some reason.  The rest I like, so I'd probably just change out the sink and paint the poles and be happy (hope it has AC though in that climate)

edit: I found the shower... not sure what you'd put there instead... fiberglass with a curtain or those sliding door things?

The poles didn't bother me until he mentioned them either LOL

As for the shower, I'm thinking some type of sliding doors.

EconDiva

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #37 on: May 05, 2014, 11:02:36 AM »
So now that everyone knows where it's located, what is everyone's personal opinion on the price?  Does it seem like a good value in your opinion.  If not, why not?

HairyUpperLip

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #38 on: May 05, 2014, 11:03:20 AM »
(which means it's probably close to the Varsity....the single best hamburger joint in the galaxy).

Really? I think it's one of the most disgusting food establishments we have here. Everything is overly greasy to me. I hate eating there.

Russ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #39 on: May 05, 2014, 11:09:19 AM »

4 foot wall. As it is, the only reason I don't like it is 'cause those open showers get drafty/cold

the forced "modern" look.

air quotes of derision? I happen to like it, but I'm a big fan of the open floor plan. More room to do cool stuff like ride skateboards and build bouldering walls

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #40 on: May 05, 2014, 11:18:05 AM »

air quotes of derision? I happen to like it, but I'm a big fan of the open floor plan. More room to do cool stuff like ride skateboards and build bouldering walls

Don't forget the trampoline, bunk beds, pinball machine, basketball hoop, and free soda vending machine. (I think we've pinpointed why this style appeals to me!)

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #41 on: May 05, 2014, 12:40:39 PM »
the forced "modern" look.

Not derision, just specifying it as a genre.  If I said forced modern look I'd be saying it looks modern.  I was saying it looks like the "modern" type movement, if that makes sense.

And yeah, the openness is one of the things I do like, along with the brick building.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #42 on: May 05, 2014, 12:42:02 PM »
So now that everyone knows where it's located, what is everyone's personal opinion on the price?  Does it seem like a good value in your opinion.  If not, why not?

No way to tell without knowing what the comparable places go for.

If they're all going for 100k for almost the same thing, it's way overpriced.  If they're going for 200k, it's a good deal.

You can't tell what something's worth without knowing its market (and knowing it fairly well).

rocksinmyhead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #43 on: May 05, 2014, 12:45:25 PM »
doh, this kind of made me realize I have a total blind spot for the South, as in, I forget that it's there. probably because it's the only part of the country I haven't lived or traveled in. it's on my list!

You are practically south yourself! :)

I'm with Arebelspy in that I wouldn't want it for my primary residence, but I can see where it would appeal to many (sans kids, urbanites, etc).

As for your new Q, it would really have to depend on price per SF compared to things in the area. Also, consider property taxes, if you will need a car (so potential parking issues), *crime rate*, etc.

haha, I guess I am! I meant more like Alabama/Georgia/Mississippi/Tennessee.... that kinda South. I've driven through to Orlando, went to Atlanta for three days in high school, and spent one evening in Nashville contra dancing (that was fun!), but that's it. Oklahoma is weird, I'm not sure what part of the country it fits into. sort of a cross between Texas and the Midwest, with a little bit of the South in terms of things like fried chicken and fried okra (and yes, I view Texas as its own unique region :))

from the pictures, I really like the overall layout and "bones" of the place. I LOVE old buildings. the modern touches (like the railings and fixtures) don't appeal to me but those are somewhat superficial and could be changed out over time.

rebel100

• Stubble
« Reply #44 on: May 05, 2014, 12:50:52 PM »
(which means it's probably close to the Varsity....the single best hamburger joint in the galaxy).

Really? I think it's one of the most disgusting food establishments we have here. Everything is overly greasy to me. I hate eating there.
haha, I do see what you mean.  I guess since I rarely get to Atlanta it still holds some allure and mystique.  There really isn't anything like it in Orlando.  (I've actually gone 95% paleo, so there isn't much there I can eat these days anyhow).

I still love the place though...What'll ya have What'll ya have step right up....have your dollar in your hand and your order on your mind!

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #45 on: May 05, 2014, 12:57:01 PM »
I don't like the shiny look at me pole or the bathroom (too sterile/modern).
I do like the open concept, hardwood floors, and exposed brick.

So that means...
I would love to visit you and I would rave about what I do really like to you, but I probably wouldn't put in an offer myself.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #46 on: May 05, 2014, 01:04:43 PM »
I didn't mean to be so negative.  If you like it, go for it!  :)

Fletch

• Stubble
« Reply #47 on: May 05, 2014, 01:09:06 PM »
Personally, I like the layout and style of the building, but I don't like some of the finishes. In a loft like that, the cabinetry actually looks very traditional, like it belongs in mcmansion (same with the raised panels on the doors). Everything should to be very slick/modern/shiny, or everything very old and industrial, not the combo it has now. I've never been to Atlanta, but it would be the surrounding area that made the decision for me.

I hope it becomes available again at a reasonable price when you are in a place to pull the trigger!

P.S. Sorry I spoiled the game earlier. Can't help myself sometimes...

Elaine

• Bristles
    • Small Things Good
« Reply #48 on: May 05, 2014, 01:26:08 PM »
I agree with Fletch on the style, especially of the kitchen. That was my first clue that it was southern or midwestern. The chrome and bathroom fixtures are also dated looking. I don't think it's a great investment, I guess it would depend somewhat on the area, but I could see having trouble unloading this style of property in Atlanta. It seems like it is designed to look like a New York loft, but they sort of missed the mark and it looks contrived. That aside, I think the culture of home buying in a city like Atlanta is probably centered on "get as much house as new as possible for the money".  I know gated communities and subdivisions are very popular, and there is a very strong emphasis on brand new construction. That crowd would find anything approaching a loft style to be weird and unappealing. For that reason I would be chary of buying it, I would be worried that I could not resell.

Edited to Add: I realize how this comment could come off, so before you decry "EAST COAST SNOB", know that I grew up in the rural Midwest.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2014, 01:29:17 PM by Elaine »

huadpe

• Stubble
« Reply #49 on: May 05, 2014, 01:26:25 PM »
It may be that google maps is deceptive, but the street that's on looks quite rough.  Maybe it's gentrifying, but the vacant lot two doors down, the two boarded up storefronts across the street, and the pawn shop just past them make me feel like this is a pretty marginal area.

Also, you're RIGHT next to the train tracks there. Could be quite loud, especially if freight trains come through.

Plus side is there's a fancypants townhome development a block and a half away, so maybe it's on the upswing in that area.

Last thing would be to consider heating/cooling costs on an old industrial space.  I wouldn't be surprised if the insulation is awful and there are leaks all over.  Especially in a southern city where it wasn't necessarily cold enough outside to force them to do decent insulation.