Author Topic: Grocery Price Book iPhone App?  (Read 4033 times)

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
Grocery Price Book iPhone App?
« on: September 12, 2014, 12:52:28 PM »
I'm trying to get a handle on our grocery budget and we are just about to buy a freezer (instead of the "ice shelf" contained within our fridge), so I'm trying to create a price book so that I can compare prices when in different shops and decide where to buy things and when to stock up because something is a good deal. However, I'm finding writing things down really fiddly.

What I'd like is an app or to repurpose something on my iPhone into a price book where I can search for a grocery item and then enter multiple prices from different shops. I shop in ethnic grocers and local markets as well as chain stores like Tesco, so comparing online on supermarket websites is not adequate.

The only thing I have come up with so far is a really epic'Note' in alphabetical order, but there must be something better out there!

MacGyverIt

• Bristles
  • Location: Not in a tropical, underpopulated location. And that's just wrong.
  • What Would MacGyver Do?
Re: Grocery Price Book iPhone App?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2016, 04:45:43 PM »
I've just downloaded several apps to test them out, I don't know if these were all available when this original question was posted in Sept 2014.

- Price Helper
- Grocery Pal
- Grocery IQ
- Favado
- SavingStar
- Jet
- ValueTracker
- Bakodo - Barcode Scanner and QR Bar Code Reader

Hoping one or more of these apps allow me to scan the UPC or QR code to ingest the price/$ per <measure>/grocery store. I'll play around with them and hope to report back.

Anyone else have a go-to app? I've got a spreadsheet going but this sort of app would be so much more efficient...

- Mac
« Last Edit: March 12, 2016, 04:53:53 PM by MacGyverIt »

Astatine

• Magnum Stache
  • Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2016, 07:55:58 PM »
Posting to follow. I'm usually able to keep it all in my head re prices but occasionally get stumped on things like kitty litter.

vhalros

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2016, 10:15:06 AM »
I just use a spread sheet in a google document. Stores in the columns, items in the rows. I stickyed the top row so it is easy to edit on my phone.

savenowspendnever

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2017, 10:37:39 AM »
Found this via the search function... Did anyone find a good app for this? I've started a Google Sheet myself to start tracking everyday prices between Kroger, Sprouts, Wal Mart, and Target, but still thinking an app would be easier. I feel like I'm going to end up committing a few weekends to recording prices while I walk through the stores.

slappy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2017, 10:46:22 AM »
I recently downloaded IntelliList, which I think is supposed to work for this, but I haven't actually used it yet.