Author Topic: Grocery items via Amazon or other free shipping online retailers?  (Read 4107 times)

Ben Hogan

• Stubble
I am under my friends Amazon Prime so I get free 2 day shipping. Alot of times I will use it to get the sale items like toilet paper and almonds and mixed nuts. Do anyone here buy other frequent used food items like Olive oil, pasta noodles or other grocery items? I am working 100% on cutting my food budget this coming year and would appreciate any help.

Thanks.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
Re: Grocery items via Amazon or other free shipping online retailers?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2016, 07:13:18 PM »
We get some snacks on there to take to work- seaweed packs, sometimes little coffees, jerky packs, that sort of thing. We also buy bulk coffee on there. And dog food (that's kinda groceries?). We do subscribe and save for all these though- 15% off, and I wait until there is a coupon on an item. (Amazon has coupons, FYI. Most people don't know this).

RedwoodDreams

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2016, 07:19:28 PM »
We get some snacks on there to take to work- seaweed packs, sometimes little coffees, jerky packs, that sort of thing. We also buy bulk coffee on there. And dog food (that's kinda groceries?). We do subscribe and save for all these though- 15% off, and I wait until there is a coupon on an item. (Amazon has coupons, FYI. Most people don't know this).

+1 on Subscribe and Save for 15% off. I use it for TP, paper towels, deodorant, nut flours, coconut milk, Amy's soups, dog food. I get a shipment every month and they send a reminder when it's time to check out the month's cart. They seem to be adding more and more of the things we use to their inventory.

btw, I still find that Trader Joe's pricing for things like nuts are still lower than Amazon's.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2016, 07:23:09 PM »

+1 on Subscribe and Save for 15% off. I use it for TP, paper towels, deodorant, nut flours, coconut milk, Amy's soups, dog food. I get a shipment every month and they send a reminder when it's time to check out the month's cart. They seem to be adding more and more of the things we use to their inventory.

btw, I still find that Trader Joe's pricing for things like nuts are still lower than Amazon's.

Oh yeah! We do coconut milk on S&S. And Tom's of maine soap. Any specialty items, like fancy face creams and serums and stuff, are usually best on S&S.

+1 trader joe's is cheaper on trail mix/nuts. Costco is usually cheaper on toothpaste and toothbrushes. Uh, toss up for shampoo. I do costco TP and paper towels- mega cheap.

Lulee

• Bristles
  • "We'll jump off that bridge when we come to it."
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2016, 10:12:00 PM »
My mother and I share cat care costs and found that it's cheaper to buy Iams on Amazon.  We haven't yet worked out how long the 22 pound bags really last us so aren't on Subscribe & Save for this.  I've found some items cheaper there than we can find locally like vanilla beans (the nearest Costco type store is about an hour away in good weather so that's a no go).  I've been gathering up pricing on items like tp to see if it's cheaper on Amazon or Boxed rather than our local stores.

I hadn't heard about Amazon having coupons.  That would be useful.  Thanks, Bracken_Joy, for that heads up!

Chris @ Saturday Financial

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2016, 01:25:57 PM »
I buy a lot of our dry goods and household products (TP, toiletries, etc.) from Walmart.com. The shipping is free if the order is $50 or more, so I keep a running list of needs and batch order when I'm ready. I've found the prices to be better than Amazon overall.

GreenSheep

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2016, 09:22:36 AM »
(Amazon has coupons, FYI. Most people don't know this).

I didn't know this until one popped up on an item I was buying anyway the other day. Is there a place to find Amazon coupons? Or are they just either there or not for whatever item you're looking at?

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2016, 09:48:43 AM »
(Amazon has coupons, FYI. Most people don't know this).

I didn't know this until one popped up on an item I was buying anyway the other day. Is there a place to find Amazon coupons? Or are they just either there or not for whatever item you're looking at?

I don't remember where the general ones are, but they're easy to find for subscribe and save.

There's probably an easier route but I go
-drop down menu of "your account" -> your subscribe and save -> (upper right corner) shop subscribe and save store -> (middle center below scrolling banner) subscribe and save coupons

This is for desktop, obviously, I don't use the app.

I googled and found this: https://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-find-and-clip-amazon-instant-coupons/

So top bar "today's deals" -> "coupons"

GreenSheep

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2016, 10:35:28 AM »
Thanks! :-)

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2016, 06:51:46 PM »
I've done groceries through target. I have the red card so it's always 5% off and free shipping (longer than 2 days). It's not as cheap as watching grocery store deals but you can buy their brands and I've found it works better for me than Amazon. I don't have a car, it's wonderful to get heavy and bulky items delivered.

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
  • FU @ 22. F.I.R.E before 23
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2016, 03:51:50 AM »
I buy a lot of our dry goods and household products (TP, toiletries, etc.) from Walmart.com. The shipping is free if the order is $50 or more, so I keep a running list of needs and batch order when I'm ready. I've found the prices to be better than Amazon overall.

I've been moving more to this - one has to shop around, but between Amazon, Target and Walmart, it's so easy to price compare, and even with searching those three sites I can save money and time over running to the store for non-perishable items like TP and toiletries.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2016, 04:16:36 AM »
Very few groceries are cheaper at Amazon than when on sale at your local store. However you should setup deal alerts at Slickdeals and compare those prices. I have a standing subscribe and save deal alert.