Author Topic: Grocery budgets and meal planning and snacks  (Read 8051 times)

Britan

• Bristles
Re: Grocery budgets and meal planning and snacks
« Reply #100 on: October 24, 2021, 01:17:34 PM »
Yeah we donít usually get cabbage either for this reason. We were at a pick your own farm with a friend and he wanted cabbage. I figured we would skip it, but my toddler was INSISTENT that we pick a cabbage. So I told them to pick the smallest cabbage they could find. 3lb of cabbage laterÖÖÖ lol

Iím going to try to hide some in apple cinnamon muffins later. I have already gotten an entire zucchini into a batch of banana chocolate Nutella muffins today, might as well continue on my muffin roll. And cabbage did hide pretty well into two different soups, I just cooked it first and blended it into oblivion in the stock so it was not recognizable.

Catbert

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #101 on: October 25, 2021, 10:53:37 AM »
Random veggies, including I guess cabbage, can be blitzed in a food processor and then *hidden* in a tomato based pasta sauce.  The key is to keep the tomato vs other veggies tilted in favor of red so the sauce looks normal.  Brown-ish sauce (red+green=brown) is a dead give away that too many other veggies are hidden.

Britan

• Bristles
« Reply #102 on: October 25, 2021, 12:41:20 PM »
Random veggies, including I guess cabbage, can be blitzed in a food processor and then *hidden* in a tomato based pasta sauce.  The key is to keep the tomato vs other veggies tilted in favor of red so the sauce looks normal.  Brown-ish sauce (red+green=brown) is a dead give away that too many other veggies are hidden.
Ooooh my son loves tomato based sauces. I have been missing out on this opportunity for too long!!!

seemsright

• Bristles
« Reply #103 on: October 25, 2021, 08:23:30 PM »
Ooooh my son loves tomato based sauces. I have been missing out on this opportunity for too long!!!

This works for preteens that think they hate kale. When I add two much kale and the sauce turns brown I just add a can of tomato paste.

A boiled beet in a smoothie hides kale really well add a extra banana and DD thinks it is berries. 

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #104 on: October 25, 2021, 11:31:49 PM »
Another vote for letting your son try raw cabbage. I always preferred it as a child. If you have the fridge room and don't mind repetition, pickled slaw keeps for *ages* and peps up all sorts of meals as a side dish. Link: https://smittenkitchen.com/2014/11/pickled-cabbage-salad/

I definitely had to have The Talk with the boys when they were younger that they could like or dislike something but they couldn't be rude about it.

Britan

• Bristles
« Reply #105 on: October 26, 2021, 03:01:27 AM »
Another vote for letting your son try raw cabbage. I always preferred it as a child. If you have the fridge room and don't mind repetition, pickled slaw keeps for *ages* and peps up all sorts of meals as a side dish. Link: https://smittenkitchen.com/2014/11/pickled-cabbage-salad/

I definitely had to have The Talk with the boys when they were younger that they could like or dislike something but they couldn't be rude about it.
I mean I love a good slaw. :) just that no one else here does. But thatís a good reminder, I might make some for lunch. If no one else likes it that means I donít have to share, muahaha.

Working on the rudenes with my sonÖ heís only 2 so itís slow going, and he doesnít really mean to be rude, heís just honest. Iím beginning to think he just hates the idea of dinner entirely. I can never get him to willingly sit down for it lately, regardless of how much he likes the food. But Iíll keep it up. He will get there eventually. And maybe he can sense that I dread it too. Itís always this battle to get him to sit, stay there, eat, and eat myself, after a draining evening of cooking, while pregnant, all by myself. Some days I let him play with the neighbor kids outside and bring his dinner out there and he eats it just fine there. Weíve tried pushing dinner later so DH can join, but often heís just too late to reasonably wait, and Iím too hungry to wait any longer.

In other news: the salmon from Aldi was fucking amazing. Swearing required, thatís how good it was. I was so pleasantly shocked. Iíve had cheap, farm raised, tasteless salmon from Safeway so long that Iíve forgotten what good salmon tasted like, and it was the same price for better fish at Aldi! Between that, the prices, the checkout efficiency, the fact that they give their cashiers places to sit (seriously wtf grocery stores?!), Iím sold.