Author Topic: grill protection for wooden terrace  (Read 3076 times)

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
grill protection for wooden terrace
« on: May 26, 2014, 12:59:19 PM »
I have a large balcony/terrace with a wooden deck about 6' off the ground, and I plan on putting my charcoal grill out there now that it's summer.
But, I don't want to burn my building down, so I was thinking of adding fire protection under the grill.  I'm looking for some opinions on what will work best - right now I"m thinking of lining the area around the grill in terra-cotta tiles, but i've also heard about fire-mats that are supposed to provide protection as well. I don't/won't keep combustables on this balcony.

I've checked the local codes and there's no restriction on having a grill on this balcony.
But I also don't want it to turn out like the one featured by DollarBIll: http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/ask-a-mustachian/clothesline-mounted-to-house/

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
Re: grill protection for wooden terrace
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2014, 02:25:45 PM »
The problem is more to do with wind and flames. It is quite amazing how far a flame can travel, and how flammable some of your equipment is - for instance you may use a tea towel when you are grilling.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2014, 03:39:18 PM »
The problem is more to do with wind and flames. It is quite amazing how far a flame can travel, and how flammable some of your equipment is - for instance you may use a tea towel when you are grilling.
not entirely sure i understand what you mean about using a tea-towel.  Wind is thankfully not an issue, as my terrace is in the back of my flat, and while it's open tot he sky it's protected by walls and buildings on all sides.  When we eat out there we don't even worry about paper napkins blowing away.

to clarify, I'm trying to add some protection to the only flammable substance within ~8 feet, which is the wooden deck the grill is sitting on.  The railing is metal, the side of hte house is brick (and ~8 feet away).

wtjbatman

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2014, 07:40:49 PM »
If there is nothing flammable around your grill, except possibly the wooden deck, just get a grill mat. Don't over think it. If that's not sufficient in your mind, you probably shouldn't be grilling at all on your deck.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2014, 07:45:56 PM »
If there is nothing flammable around your grill, except possibly the wooden deck, just get a grill mat. Don't over think it. If that's not sufficient in your mind, you probably shouldn't be grilling at all on your deck.
You're probably right about just getting a grill-mat.  The building codes permit having grills there, and plenty of my neighbors grill every weekend. 
I guess I'm just paranoid after seeing a few postings about people burning down their houses by grilling on a wooden deck.
but there's no wind, plenty of space, no gasoline cans nearby...