Author Topic: Greenville, NC?  (Read 6344 times)

rocklebock

• Stubble
Greenville, NC?
« on: September 08, 2014, 10:55:10 AM »
I've been contacted by an executive search firm for a position in Greenville, NC. My previous exposure to NC = going to a wedding in Asheville about 10 years ago.

I live on the other side of the country, and I like it here. Before I respond, I'd like to figure out if I'd want to move to Greenville. I'm your classic leftist/atheist/feminist/NPR listener/aging hipster. No kids, but am likely to get married and start trying for one in the next year. I get that NC is a "purple state." I've lived in major metro areas for my entire adult life, but I'm not averse to other settings. I see that the COL in Greenville would be much lower than where I am now, but that alone isn't enough of a selling point.

I think there's a pretty big NC cohort on this forum. Anyone live in Greenville or know it well?

sandandsun

• Stubble
Re: Greenville, NC?
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2014, 11:38:40 AM »
I'm close to NC, spend a lot of time there, and I fit your 'leftist' profile to a T...
Greenville ain't Asheville, much more conservative/bible belt in Eastern Carolina... it's not a bad part of the country, particularly if you are near a college town (ECU, for example)... but it is considerably more conservative than Asheville if that's your benchmark...
« Last Edit: September 08, 2014, 11:42:23 AM by sandandsun »

Hvillian

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2014, 11:45:00 AM »
It has been a couple years since I last passed through Greenville, but I would be hesitant to move there.  I actually used to pitch it to my wife as a possible place to settle down that would be sort-of central between where our families lived, and she always shot me down.  She grew up in Eastern NC and her sister went to ECU.

Her primary objections:
- Having the University, Hospital and supporting companies does not insulate the area from the poverty that covers much of Eastern NC
- Greenville is not a very big city, and you are hours from the beach and at least an hour from Raleigh

Our impressions of the area could absolutely be dated, and am interested if anyone has a more recent impression.  I would suspect there to be a very limited number of "leftist/atheist/feminist/NPR listener/aging hipsters" in that area.

Gone Fishing

• Magnum Stache
  • So Close went fishing on April 1, 2016
    • Journal
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2014, 11:47:06 AM »
Let's start by saying Greenville is nothing like Asheville! Eastern NC is flat, hot and humid in the summer, and mild in the winter.  Greenville is close to the coast, but probably still an hour+ away from a proper beach.  Plenty of democrats down that way but they tend to be old money land/business owners and poor folks.  Not your classic leftist/atheist/feminist/NPR listener/aging hipster types (this area is called the Bible Belt for a reason) like you find in Asheville or Chapel Hill.  The University might be an exception to this as they tend to be more liberal.  ECU football is big and the BBQ is great, but Greenville is still not high on my list of places to live, primarily due to the weather.       

sandandsun

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2014, 11:48:03 AM »
"I would suspect there to be a very limited number of "leftist/atheist/feminist/NPR listener/aging hipsters" in that area."

I would say your assessment is spot on :)

darkadams00

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2014, 12:02:39 PM »
I live in the Raleigh area. I have lived in NC most of my life--rural NC (10 miles to town), semi-urban NC (Charlotte), and suburban NC (Raleigh/Cary). I like the weather almost everywhere in the state. This area (Raleigh) is probably the most diverse in the state, has above average good schools, various good-paying jobs, and bike accessibility to everything I would want regularly--work, errands, recreation, festivals, etc.

I've been to Greenville several times, have a couple friends there, and know a couple families with children at ECU. I wouldn't move there from here, but I can't think of anywhere in NC I'd rather live than where I am. Greenville might work out much better for you. If you might be uncomfortable with towns < 100K, then you'll want to go somewhere else. Also, Greenville puts you about 1.5 hours closer to the coast than Raleigh (and 1.5 hours further from the mountains). I prefer the mountains over the coast, so I already have 3 hours to drive to get to the trailhead. I wouldn't want to add another 1.5 hours to the trip.

As to NC culture, from my experience here, higher populations are more likely to fit your profile, lower populations more likely to favor conservatives. The college population will preserve some leftist presence in town, but the general population will tend to be a bit more conservative than some of the other NC cities with more folks from other states. Greenville might be a place people would be from (no choice in where you're born), but it would not likely be a place people would choose to move to .

rocklebock

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2014, 12:54:03 PM »
Thanks, this helps a bunch. You're right that if I were moving to NC by choice, I would be looking at the Research Triangle or Asheville. I've lived close to Bible Belt areas before, and that wouldn't work for me. I was curious if Greenville might fit the profile of some other small cities that are becoming more culturally and economically diverse because of business development, but I'm hearing that this is not the case.

jamestr

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2014, 06:02:41 PM »
I have lived in NC my entire life and lived in Greenville for 2 years.  My best friend spent 7 years in undergrad / med school there and my mom worked there for 10 years or so.  It is pretty much a horrible, trashy town and I would highly advise against moving there.  There are a lot of culturally diverse, forward thinking areas in NC but Greenville may be the capital of the opposite.

chasesfish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2014, 06:59:16 PM »
Old tobacco are, lots of poverty.  The university isn't a top tier school as NC goes, so it's basically the crummy climate I get here in Athens, GA without any of the affluence or culture.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Abe

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2014, 07:33:44 PM »
I grew up in Goldsboro, which is about an hour from Greenville and have many friends who grew up there. The two are quite similar - former tobacco-based economies now scraping by on soybeans, pig farms and government subsidies. Goldsboro has an air force base for an injection of diversity, Greenville has a college. Do NOT move there. It is a college town in that there is a decent state / party school. You may find some people with similar interests from the university, but overall it's not the place for a leftist/atheist/feminist/NPR listener/aging hipster. Did I mention the endemic racism? Try to go to Chapel Hill, Durham or Asheville. If you have further questions, feel free to message me.

rocklebock

• Stubble
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2014, 08:35:15 PM »
it's basically the crummy climate I get here in Athens, GA without any of the affluence or culture.

Ha! Funny because I was just looking at a different job in Athens.

I appreciate all the no-holds-barred opinions. This was a part of the country I knew absolutely nothing about. I'll be telling the recruiter I'm not interested. I do keep an eye on jobs in the Research Triangle, and may come back with more questions about that area someday.

chasesfish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2014, 08:42:12 PM »
Athens is probably a lot more like what you're looking for.  Big college town and close enough to Atlanta for a little urban convenience. 

I'm probably the opposite of a leftist feminist hipster, but judging by the number of bicycles and bumper stickers, you'd be fine.  Just remember it's Georgia, it's chokingly hot between mid-May and mid-September

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

rocklebock

• Stubble
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2014, 08:50:57 PM »
Yeah, I've been to Athens and have family around Atlanta. Athens seemed fine, but not the climate I'm looking for. I've also done the "blue city in a red state" thing before, and don't really want to do it again.

p.s. It's very kind of you to chip in with advice, even though we're political/social opposites! This forum can be great that way.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2014, 08:54:36 PM by rocklebock »