Author Topic: Gravatars  (Read 4027 times)

carolinakaren

• Stubble
Gravatars
« on: October 15, 2012, 06:48:29 PM »
Ok, I realize this post does NOT flatter my intelligence, but could somebody tell me how to make my Gravatar appear by the posts I create?  I am techno-challenged to say the least, but have learned alot lately.  I created a profile, but the picture still doesn't show up.  I appreciate any help or suggestions. 

Thank you,
Karen

igthebold

• Bristles
Re: Gravatars
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2012, 06:51:09 PM »
  • Go to http://gravatar.com
  • Enter the email you use when commenting on the MMM blog, then click "Get your Gravatar"
  • Follow the instructions from there

It's pretty straightforward, really. I can explain how it works, but you don't need to know it.

igthebold

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2012, 06:32:11 AM »
I'm sorry, I should've actually read your whole post. :P

The key bit here is the email address. It's still private, but the blog will use the email address you use to post to figure out which gravatar to use. Gravatar allows you to enter more than one email address.

Just to be abundantly clear (and not patronizing, I hope), the email address here:

has to match the email address here:

or here:

Sorry I didn't answer the question the first time. After rereading my answer it sounded a bit patronizing, which isn't what I intended.

Hope that helps!

carolinakaren

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2012, 05:04:48 PM »
Thank you! No, I don't find that patronizing at all.  I did enter the email address that I use for MMM, but when I respond to an MMM post there isn't a Gravatar.  John tells me I have an aura that makes computers malfunction...based on my history, I believe he is right!  The pages looked exactly as you portrayed in your example.  I'm sure it's "user error" on my part somehow!  I appreciate your responses Ig.  Thanks again.  I am going to try again now!

igthebold

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2012, 06:57:32 AM »
My pleasure. One more thing about the way Gravatars work that might help:

It turns your email address into something that looks like e98df0c467e7a900f3d6173f286a3700 (for my email address) and turns that into a URL, like this one: http://www.gravatar.com/avatar/e98df0c467e7a900f3d6173f286a3700.png?s=0. What's cool is that you can't get the email address out of that value, so it protects your privacy nicely.

Thing is, it's *very* picky. For instance,
"igthebold@example.com" turns into "5a5224aeb028b66355b66ef0605d42f5"
but
"Igthebold@example.com" (capital I) turns into "427d13ae3bfeb56ab72ac5d4df6516b0"
completely different.

Gravatar should do some things to fix it (like remove spaces or other things like that). But it can't catch everything.

I'd be happy to help debug the problem for you, but you'd have to PM me your email address, which you may not be comfortable with.

carolinakaren

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2012, 03:42:22 PM »
Thank you for the offer!  I just saw your last response.....  Coincidentally I happened to log in to my gmail account, which is the one I use for MMM.....Problem fixed.  I had neglected to open this email and click the link to activate the Gravatar!  It was user error after all of course.  I'm very sorry that I did not respond in a timely way!  Thank you again for all the advice!

igthebold

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2012, 02:31:19 PM »
No problem! Glad it works now. :)