Author Topic: Graduating next year. Missed out Vac work  (Read 2879 times)

lolzmonster

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Graduating next year. Missed out Vac work
« on: June 05, 2014, 10:48:57 AM »
Hi guys,

Just wanted to get some advice from people more experienced in finding a job :p
I'm studying accounting in WA, and the industry is really saturated. To the point that I have gone for 5 interviews with middle to large firms and been rejected. Basically, i've missed the period to apply for vac work in my industry.

Apart from going door to door, or handing in my resume to the big firms, does anyone have personal experience that they could share in regards to getting that foot in the door in terms of being seen by employers, or tips to network?

Thanks

apfroggy0408

• Stubble
Re: Graduating next year. Missed out Vac work
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2014, 10:51:59 AM »
Have you tried any job fairs often hosted by your own university?

lolzmonster

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2014, 11:48:34 AM »
yep i have gone for three. but those are all the big firms advertising, most of which i have applied for. I'm looking for ways to network with smaller firms around the state, but in terms of networking opportunities, have no idea how to access those.

Dollarbill49

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2014, 12:57:41 PM »
Obtain a list of CPA firms from your state's society of CPA's or even google it.  That would be a start. 
Do your professors know of small firms that they could put you in touch with?
Join your state society of CPA's, even if you're not one.  They probably have a student membership level.
Talk to the people at the state society.  Show them your serious.  THey, too, could probably refer you.

Good luck.  It's a great career.

SU

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2014, 01:08:39 PM »
Have you tried any of the rural/regional accounting firms? Off the top of my head there is Pascoe Partners with offices in Perth, Bunbury and Kojonup; Midcoast Partners in Geraldton; Agrimaster (accounting software); plus some of the firms operating out of places like Kalgoorlie which are big but not necessarily advertising in Perth. You can open up a heap of opportunities if you are willing to travel. I know two guys who started in Kal and are now in Switzerland, so don't go thinking that you're missing out if you start somewhere outside of Perth.

lolzmonster

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2014, 11:59:44 AM »
Mmhm ive applied for several rural accounting firms now, just waiting for replies.

As of yet pretty familiar with the need experience tag line lol. But yeah not going to give up, I realise I'm going to need a lot of experience to be an attractive employ.

btw, dollarbill is that personal experience? Because even though i kind of know what accounting entails, I have no idea what are the enjoyable and not so enjoyable parts of the job.