Author Topic: GPS running / biking watch  (Read 4779 times)

Baylor3217

• Bristles
GPS running / biking watch
« on: August 24, 2013, 11:26:29 AM »
I'm trying to reduce my data usage on my phone which I typically use to track time, distance, pace etc.

Anyone have a cost effective watch or other portable device to help solve this data challenge to reduce dependency on phone?

FiveSigmas

• Pencil Stache
Re: GPS running / biking watch
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2013, 11:54:06 AM »
I'm trying to reduce my data usage on my phone which I typically use to track time, distance, pace etc.

Anyone have a cost effective watch or other portable device to help solve this data challenge to reduce dependency on phone?

I'm curious: why does using your phone as a GPS affect data usage?

davisgang90

• Handlebar Stache
    • Photography by Rich Davis
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2013, 12:02:43 PM »
I agree, you shouldn't need data to track activities with GPS.  Turn off the data and enjoy your workout!

Baylor3217

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2013, 12:32:30 PM »
Interesting. How do I do that?  I thought apps using GPS were getting the IMO by using the data feature.

Left

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2013, 01:26:53 PM »
I use http://www.rungps.net/ for windows mobile, yeah I know it's old phone OS, and I still like it.
Only uses data if you want map to follow you, otherwise, it tracks time/distance without data

my sister has a garmin watch that she likes, but I prefer my phone... so I can bring music and if I get hit by car, call for help.

which os do you use? There's lots of free ones that provide distance/time that uses gps/clock only. no data needed unless you wanted other features
« Last Edit: August 24, 2013, 01:28:27 PM by eyem »

Baylor3217

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2013, 01:37:57 PM »
I'm on iOS

So you could be in airplane mode and it would track your time and distance?  I'm going to research how that works.

gooki

• Magnum Stache
    • My FIRE journal
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2013, 02:17:12 PM »
Yip it'll work fine with data turned off. I used to use endomondo that way all the time.

Baylor3217

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2013, 02:18:40 PM »
I use iMapMyWalk to track my running and biking.

I think that's using GPS only but can't confirm for sure. Pandora used to blow up my data usage. Don't use that anymore. I have unlimited data but am working to get into something that's more cost effective.

vern

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2013, 07:37:07 PM »
I'm with davis...ditch the watch and go Zen running.

icefr

• Bristles
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2013, 12:00:58 AM »
I use the RunKeeper app on my phone and keep data turned off. It works just fine. Sometimes it crashes when I go to save it, but I doubt that is related to the data since even when I try to save when on wi-fi it does that. Still helps while running!