Author Topic: GPS recommendations?  (Read 2748 times)

Exhale

• Pencil Stache
GPS recommendations?
« on: November 05, 2016, 03:22:58 AM »
I'm looking for a GPS for use in my car. Any recommendations (or caveats)?

spicykissa

• Stubble
Re: GPS recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2016, 03:56:39 AM »
Just use your phone? I've never seen the point of a stand-alone device for most circumstances. You can get a windshield mount if you need to be able to see the map vs. just listening to turn-by-turn directions.

chasesfish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2016, 05:32:33 AM »
Used Garmin on Ebay or at a flea market.  Use google and figure out if the model has free map updates

Exhale

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2016, 09:55:38 AM »
Thanks folks!

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2016, 10:10:20 AM »
My car has a built in GPS, and I still use my phone.  It's just better in every respect.  The voice activation is key.

HipGnosis

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2016, 09:03:23 PM »
You have to decide if the GPS functions are better for you than what your phone can do.

I got a GPS for my motorcycle because I can plan a specific route on my PC and upload it to the GPS (note that not all GPS' have this function).

Used Garmin on Ebay or at a flea market.  Use google and figure out if the model has free map updates
I've read that free updates are only for registered GPS' (at least Garmin) and if the original owner doesn't un-register, no-one else can register it/them.
I got my Nuvi's (I ended up getting another one for my car) refurbished from Amazon (or Amazon re-sellers).
I did have to replace the battery in one of them (also bought from Amazon).

dang1

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2016, 12:44:19 PM »
used galaxy s4 for around $75 off ebay. load google maps or other maps for offline use. if you want real time traffic, sign up for cheap data.

doneby35

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2016, 01:02:05 PM »
Use google maps on your phone. Why buy a separate GPS device? Also if you're worried about data usage, you have the ability to download maps and use it offline when needed.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!