Author Topic: Got rid of stuff, thinking about moving  (Read 2841 times)

brian313313

• Stubble
Got rid of stuff, thinking about moving
« on: September 04, 2017, 05:57:07 PM »
We have a dilemma. We've been getting rid of stuff that we don't want and have been quite successful. Most of it has not been missed and we're realizing more things that we really don't care about. However, our 2br condo - which we had downsized from a home - is starting to look empty. (The second bedroom has a bicycle in it and that's all) We have a whole list of things that we don't want to take with us the next time we move, but I'm starting to feel like downsizing to a 1br condo or apartment. The problem is that I'm not sure if we'd save anything because of the transaction fees involved in moving. Having double the square footage we need feels odd though, and it could be an invitation to turn around and get more stuff.

Has anyone seen any articles or have personal experience on this issue?

Thanks.

Healthie

• Stubble
Re: Got rid of stuff, thinking about moving
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2017, 07:11:49 PM »
Have you calculated what the move would cost you? I can't imagine moving your possessions would be greater than renting an entire room less - that's gotta be at least a couple hundred bucks cheaper/month. What's the difference in price?

Dee18

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2017, 08:33:20 AM »
Am I confusing you with another poster, or did you just buy the condo this year?

marielle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2017, 08:38:19 AM »
Do you own or rent? If you own, it's a bit more complicated and you have to consider a lot of variables. I've only rented so I don't have an opinion on that front. In the mean time though, it's okay to have empty space. Personally, I prefer it!

If you rent, I would definitely move. It's pretty easy and cheap to move when you rent.

JayKay

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2017, 02:40:05 PM »
From a real estate perspective, one thing to think about is resale. (And you should always think about resale)

From what I've been told, anything that's 1br or under is a lot harder to resell than 2br+.

brian313313

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2017, 04:37:35 PM »
Am I confusing you with another poster, or did you just buy the condo this year?

We bought the condo Oct last year so it's probably me you're thinking about. I didn't want to buy because of the downsizing, my wife doesn't like renting though and she won the argument. :) If we sell, we should break even because we bought a fixer-upper and one just sold for about 20k more than we have invested.

From a real estate perspective, one thing to think about is resale. (And you should always think about resale)

From what I've been told, anything that's 1br or under is a lot harder to resell than 2br+.
We plan on renting if we move again. However, in Midtown it's actually easier to sell a 1br than 2br because of the cost.

However...I made this sound like purely a financial decision. It's really more than that. I'm looking for perspectives that might address the downsizing issue. I won't likely save any money because I'd probably spend the same amount moving to Midtown which is right next to a large park and also nearby plenty of jobs.

I know this is MMM which is about early retirement often, but I'm at the point I could retire if I went to a rural area but I'm not ready to retire nor live in a rural area. My wife was and she already quit.

Thanks.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!